Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2015, 09:49 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,682,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Impeding traffic is one of their favorite tickets to write but since it's lumped in with idiots caught in the middle of intersections who knows. I know they write a lot of em on the 2 laner from Riverside to Vegas, as well they should.
i never see it here. In fact, i was in the left lane doing the speed limit, a cop behind me, and he got in the right to go around. Nothing he could do as we have no "keep right" signs here and i was driving the legal speed limit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 09:52 AM

50,247 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
i never see it here. In fact, i was in the left lane doing the speed limit, a cop behind me, and he got in the right to go around. Nothing he could do as we have no "keep right" signs here and i was driving the legal speed limit.
Well, it is true many States either have backwards A$$ laws or none preventing it. To an interstate traveler that is the equivalent of seeing cars with the steering wheel on the right.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:55 AM

19 posts, read 28,292 times
There is such a thing as a careful aggressive driver.

It requires good vision and good coordination and the smarts
to do it only in ideal situations. Not in snow ice or fog.

Example one: rush hour. Your exit is the most popular exit off the tollway,
such as the Lemmon avenue exit off the Dallas tollway. The line to exit is
sometimes 1-1/2 miles long. In good conditions, I routinely go past like 100 cars and
dart to the right lane at THE LAST MINUTE. No one honks or blocks. I save 25-30 minutes.

Example two: merging from Hwy 16 to I-5 north in Tacoma. I stay in the right most lanes that
are ending sequentially until the last minute and then merge and then aggressively and safely merge
into the left most lane on I-5 north. Save 35-40 min and make my flight at SEA-TAC.

So you can do it safely and save immense time. Of course do it safely and in the proper conditions.
Most people on the roads are slow pokes who have so much time on their hands....I don't.

In big cities like Dallas people are very much like me.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:00 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,467,775 times
^ Agreed. I save probably 20+ minutes on my daily commute by staying in the rightmost lane (technically an "exit" lane but the onramp to the highway became this lane) and picking a nice gap at the end

Old 05-19-2015, 11:06 AM

19 posts, read 28,292 times
There is ALWAYS a gap to merge into. Now is that gap large enough for your vehicle and how long is that gap going to stay open? Are the road conditions good enough to do it safely?

This is where good judgement, good hand eye coordination and experience are key.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:14 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,762,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durant82 View Post
I think this is an important distinction. Half of what people on here get their jimmies in a twist about is pretty normal in large cities with heavy traffic.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:42 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,877,385 times
Queue jumping? Unless they cut me off (which means I HAD TO hit the brakes), I let them be. As I've grown up, I've learned to let a lot of things go on the road. They pass you and never think about you again in their life. Why bother caring about them?

Old 05-19-2015, 11:55 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,158,777 times
I jump in and out of lanes, only where there is an idiot ahead of me who for some reason in packed traffic is leaving 50+ feet between him and the cars in front of him and traffic is therefore pouring from the adjacent lane into the one I am in.

Other than that, I just stay where I am.

Trying to block people by tailgating the person ahead of you is foolish, hard on the equipment, and mentally draining. If every one just paid attention to what they are supposed to be doing (driving) there would not be huge gaps and the need for others to jump lanes.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:12 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,020,364 times
Quote:
There is ALWAYS a gap to merge into. Now is that gap large enough for your vehicle and how long is that gap going to stay open? Are the road conditions good enough to do it safely?

This is where good judgement, good hand eye coordination and experience are key.
Yep. From my observances soooo many people have no time/space judgement!!!!!
They seem not to have figured out that based on the speed we're going a certain hole will only stay open for so long DISTANCE wise. And they if they don't SPEED UP to GET IN, that hole will close.

Perfect example vehicle in the RIGHT hand lane, and one in the LEFT hand lane....two car lengths behind. SO there's a hole. Well if the LEFT car is going a certain speed it will eventually gain on -- and get so close to -- the right vehicle that the hole WILL close. Then it's NEXT to the right hand vehicle and two lanes are blocked. Until the left car eventually pulls ahead enough to open another hole IN FRONT of the right hand vehicle.....a mile later! I constantly see people coming up on the right -- who you know are likely planning to get in......but they're not going fast enough to get in before the hole closes.

When it so happens that I'm behind that LEFT side car....I say to myself about the other guy who's likely passing my on the right (and that's fine) -- "uh, you better speed up or the hold will close and you'll ned up behind ME."....because you sure aren't getting in between the lead car and me.

I'm thinking I can see the hole is closing...why can't YOU see you're not going to make it if you don't speed up to get in. I'm not even the one trying to make the more and I can see it.

Also like Drurant and cats234.....GOOD aggressive drivers are VERY attentive....you have to be.
If I know there's an exit ahead where I want to get off....I'm paying attention to the traffic flow in the exit lane -- AND looking at least a half-mile ahead to see what holes there are, who's lagging, etc.

We have plenty of three lane highways here, and I'm usually in the far LEFT lane. I don't usually move to the center until a half mile before my exit....and don't get over again into the exit lane until -- AT MOST -- a-quarter mile before the exit. usually it's closer to the exit than that....it just depends on the SPEED and SPACING of the traffic flow. DUH!

But again you should be paying attention to that and planning WELL BEFORE your exit. As you're driving you can just see that the traffic has a certain flow to it, and where holes are, which other cars are staying tight, where holes ahead seem to be opening up.
I'm always looking and thinking a mile ahead. IF YOU PAY ATTENTION YOU CAN SEE WHERE A HOLE WILL OPEN UP THAT's NOT EVEN OPEN YET.

Durant's in Dallas...I'm in D.C...... MAJOR CITY driving -- Atlanta, New York, Boston, L.A. -- takes skill.

Old 05-19-2015, 04:43 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,430,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durant82 View Post
There is such a thing as a careful aggressive driver.

It requires good vision and good coordination and the smarts
to do it only in ideal situations. Not in snow ice or fog.

Example one: rush hour. Your exit is the most popular exit off the tollway,
such as the Lemmon avenue exit off the Dallas tollway. The line to exit is
sometimes 1-1/2 miles long. In good conditions, I routinely go past like 100 cars and
dart to the right lane at THE LAST MINUTE. No one honks or blocks. I save 25-30 minutes.

Example two: merging from Hwy 16 to I-5 north in Tacoma. I stay in the right most lanes that
are ending sequentially until the last minute and then merge and then aggressively and safely merge
into the left most lane on I-5 north. Save 35-40 min and make my flight at SEA-TAC.

So you can do it safely and save immense time. Of course do it safely and in the proper conditions.
Most people on the roads are slow pokes who have so much time on their hands....I don't.

Yeah, no. People who drive like you do are THE WORST and cause more traffic congestion.

I live in Boston. You better believe I honk at people like you - and few of us will willingly let you in. Few things are as pleasurable in life as watching someone try to break in at the last minute and have to go up to the next exit and turn around because no one who has been waiting for 15-20 minutes will let the jokers in. The people who do it tend to dangerously dart in without using a blinker for just that purpose. I see it most often at the big highway interchanges where cars coming onto the highway have to cross with cars coming off. People dart in at the last minute, blocking cars entering the highway and just making traffic worse. Not to mention the accidents and near misses caused by such behavior.

Wake up a little earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive