Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2015, 08:26 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,057,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Rule #1: The speed limit sign trumps all laws
Really? So I can drive drunk, as long as I obey the speed limit? Because the speed limit sign trumps all laws, which would make it legal for me to do so.

You are making up your own rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 08:29 AM

18,554 posts, read 15,648,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Attitude like yours could have cascade effects in making everybody lives miserable.
Who made you the freeway enforcer?

My suggestion is to keep driving safe and be courteous if you enjoy a stress free life and want to stay out of troubles.
^^^^This. Too much risk for too little reward to justify it.

If those few seconds really matter that much, maybe you should have left a couple minutes sooner.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:02 AM

16,717 posts, read 8,712,122 times
Quote:
I show respect to other drivers who dont know me from Adam. However if they want me to respect them while theyre doing 85 in a 55 it aint happening. Now, i wont cut them off or anything and if im feeling good i'll move over for them. I do sometimes silently pray that theres a cop ahead to bust them.

I do understand what youre saying overall but please understand what im saying: Speeding is illegal, period. Dont do it, period.
I get what you are saying to a great degree. However when you said "I silently pray", I thought the next words out of your mouth were going to be "that they do not get killed or kill anyone else" which would have been . Instead you said you prayed they got busted.
Which leads me to a question I've pondered before.
If you are doing your own thing driving wise (left lane or right) and someone wants to drive faster, say even 85 in your example, why would you care
My guess is that at least some drivers feel constrained to follow the speed limit for whatever reason the compels them to do so. Yet they probably wish they could drive faster, and resent those who are doing so without the same concerns you have.
Any validity on my theory in your case?

---

To the poster who was talking about only saving 5 minutes and those of a like mind;

As I mentioned before, depending on the circumstances such as poor weather, I will drive slower than others for my own safety reasons(in the right hand lane).
Yet on a long distance highway trip where I will be on the road for 4+ hours, I will exceed the speed limit if it is safe to do so. I know it will save me a heck of a lot of time, certainly more than 5 minutes. I do find myself envisioning what traffic will be like when I will be going through a big cities population center during rush hour, so I try to miss the back up if possible by getting past it before everyone hits the road.

The bottom line is that if you follow the speed limit it obviously has many benefits to you, and that is your business. However when it comes to trying to effect how others choose to drive, then you are crossing a line, whether you recognize it or not.
That includes pretend blissful ignorance of being in the passing lane holding up others, if you have the ability to safely get over into the right lane and let them pass.

`

Old 05-18-2015, 10:04 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,695,578 times
Quote:
In the one to two times a year that im on the interstate if i "camp out" in the left lane its because as I see it the speed limit sign is for both lanes, not just the right. If i can get over into the right i will but if not then i do the speed limit in the left. If theres a cop behind me then i will get over but not because i think im doing anything wrong but rather because i suspect he may be wanting past to get to a call. if he follows and pulls me over then i'll say same thing i say on here; the speed limit sign is for both lanes not just the right.

And yes i think that speed limits should be enforced even if that means a cop every 100 feet to pull everyone who speeds over. I'll stop short of suggesting public executions but im sure that would probably stop a lot if not all people from speeding.
It's probably a good thing that you only drive on the Interstate a couple of times a year.

It is true that high speeds are a major cause of accidents, and I agree that enforcing speed limits is important. On the other hand, sticking right at the speed limit in a lane where everyone else wants and expects to drive 5-10 over the limit is dangerous. In that case, you are the person creating the danger, not the people who are looking to drive in an orderly way at a speed that is reasonable for the conditions and in compliance with well-known and established expectations. By driving slower than what virtually everybody else in that lane does, you are at risk of being rear-ended, of causing people to make sudden and potentially hazardous lane changes, and, yes, getting a ticket (which can happen even if you're not exceeding the speed limit).

(Incidentally, I once saw someone arguing with a motor vehicles inspector because he had failed his road test for adhering strictly to the speed limit when everyone around him was going faster. It could happen to you.)

Old 05-18-2015, 10:21 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,032,792 times
I'm with Vector in post #123.
I speed because I feel it's safe for me to do so, and I'm confident in my driving skill, and I'm VERY attentive to possible nutty moves by others. Many speed limits are set too low. And I'm not a lemming that just goes along with something just because....

Clearly I don't speed through an area I know is a speed trap, or where I know a cop sits. That's just dumb. But I also don't obey some laws if I know I'll likely not get caught. Not when I see all the other crazy things drivers do.

Like the discussion on another thread about sitting at a red light at 3a when there's no one on the road but you....uh WHY. Just because?

Old 05-18-2015, 10:57 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,467,912 times
What about shoulder Nazis. When we were in a traffic jam folks started driving on shoulder creating and extra lane.

One guy in far right lane stuck his car halfway in shoulder to prevent foks from passing. Meanwhile by creating fourth lane it sped it up as miles ahead we found out and accident in the left lane was the issue.

This guy actually waved a cop badge at me from NJ. We were in NY so yelled FU went up on grass around him and cars started following us and last we saw he was out of car with his wife and kids inside yelling at us lawbreakers. Jesus Chrst it was Labor day weekend and NYS throughway had a three hour delay at some point someone is going on the shoulder

Old 05-18-2015, 11:05 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,654,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Respond to post #17, then we can move onto your other complaints, and address your misuse of quotation marks. I recommend that you use copy and paste when quoting someone. That's what I did when I quoted you in post #17. Otherwise you run the risk of making stuff up, and attributing said stuff to another poster, as you have done here.
OK... see, now you're getting in way over your head. Now you've gone beyond weaseling and evading to avoid taking responsibility for what you said, and moved directly to flat-out lying. All three of the remarks I attributed to you were direct quotes, copied and pasted. "I will speed up just a little to make it difficult for them to get back over in the left lane" and "we had created a left lane 'curtain' that he could not penetrate" are copied directly from your OP, the first post in the thread, and "in my case there was no one obstructing... the left lane" is copied directly from your post #104. In each instance, those were your exact words. You keep trying to deny that you're saying the things you said, but you seem to be forgetting that everything we type here is archived - all people have to do is scroll back and read it.

Like I said earlier, I don't blame you for trying to pretend you didn't say some of those things, because I'd be pretty embarrassed too if I had to admit I drove like that. But when I quote you directly, and you accuse me of "making up" the quotes, you're lying. Just plain lying. Evidently that doesn't bother you, but when I'm the one you're lying about, it sure bothers me - and I'm going to call you on it every time.

As I said before, if you don't want to own what you say, say something you're not ashamed to admit to. But please stop digging yourself deeper and deeper into the hole by denying what you said, and then accusing others of lying when they catch you at it.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:12 AM

50,510 posts, read 47,300,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Texas law doesn't mention the speed limit. It just says stay to the right unless passing. So the person cruising in the left hand lane is guilty of an offense, as is the person speeding. But the person blocking the flow of traffic in the left hand lane is more dangerous than the person speeding.
This ^
I like how a couple people are using the burger king menu to tell their story.

Camping is just as bad as speeding and weaving and will get you a ticket all the same as the other two. If everyone is speeding they will not ticket either.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:13 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,702,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I get what you are saying to a great degree. However when you said "I silently pray", I thought the next words out of your mouth were going to be "that they do not get killed or kill anyone else" which would have been . Instead you said you prayed they got busted.
Which leads me to a question I've pondered before.
If you are doing your own thing driving wise (left lane or right) and someone wants to drive faster, say even 85 in your example, why would you care
My guess is that at least some drivers feel constrained to follow the speed limit for whatever reason the compels them to do so. Yet they probably wish they could drive faster, and resent those who are doing so without the same concerns you have.
Any validity on my theory in your case?
I would care because I have to obey the law and so does everyone else. Now some may say "well code blah blah of the yadda yadda yadda says i can drive...." but i pay no attention to those. Ive been to traffic court before around here and regardless of what laws you toss at the judge all he says is "and what was the speed limit on that road?". You quickly learn just to accept that you were in the wrong no matter what laws or codes you think you may have on your side because youre not getting out of whatever youre facing the judge over. So its a lot easier to simply obey that speed limit sign no matter what lane youre in.

Theres a town a few miles from here where the police will ticket you for going 1 mph over even if its to pass. They dont play here.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:15 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,702,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
This ^
I like how a couple people are using the burger king menu to tell their story.

Camping is just as bad as speeding and weaving and will get you a ticket all the same as the other two. If everyone is speeding they will not ticket either.
but what if those people in the left lane behind the "camper" simply just said "oh well, guess im driving slower today" and simply dealt with it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive