Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 08:25 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,918,148 times

Advertisements

Paying cash doesn't do much to up your credit score. Folks who have always paid cash for everything, don't have any credit; that is tough when one goes to buy a house, unless one can also pay cash for that.

I bought my Saturn new in 2002, making use of all their discounts including interest free financing.

We moved cross country shortly thereafter. I gave the loan 90 days, called the finance institution to be sure there wouldn't be a penalty for a 90 day pay off, then wrote the pay off check.

As far as the over 10K thing, I had sold my home for a healthy profit, the bulk of which went into the retirement home we built.

I filed my taxes, the accountant asked all the right questions, I never went to jail, I think we got a little money back that year, and I still have that 2002 Saturn. it didn't even ruffle one IRS feather.

IMO, finance the car for 90 days to build your credit score, then pay it off
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 09:02 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,210,139 times
If what you have is 6k you might be able to get more car by buying private party. Although you need to know what you are doing.

6k at a dealer won't go as far since they have their own costs and profits to consider.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:53 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,609,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I never use dealer financing and have also paid in cash.
Don't see why this would be a problem.
It probably depends on the dealership, but I have walked out on a salesman who wouldn't give me a price, only a per month payment. At several others it was also a problem.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:55 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
What on earth made you say that? If you are worried about IRS reporting for transactions for more than $10K, then you have other issues....
If you don't want the police breaking your door down in the middle of the night, then you have other issues.

Do you believe the federal government has right to keep a dossier on you, and enter such facts about the ordinary purchase of a used car? I feel it is my duty as a citizen to obfuscate and conceal from prying government eyes whatever I possibly can.

Nothing lubricates the wheels of a police state better than the attitude that "if you have done nothing wrong, you don't need to worry about police surveillance of your activities." They came for people who bought used cars, but I did not buy a used car so I said nothing.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:57 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
DO NOT TALK ABOUT HOW YOU PLAN ON PAYING BEFORE YOU SETTLE ON THE PRICE.

I can't stress this enough.

DO NOT TELL THEM HOW YOU WILL PAY UNTIL THE PRICE IS NEGOTIATED. The whole price. Taxes, etc. The whole price.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If you don't want the police breaking your door down in the middle of the night, then you have other issues.

Do you believe the federal government has right to keep a dossier on you, and enter facts about the purchase of a used car?

Nothing lubricates the wheels of a police state better than the attitude that "if you have done nothing wrong, you don't need to worry about police surveillance of your activities." They came for people who bought used cars, but I did not buy a used car so I said nothing.
So if you buy a house and transfer 50k for the down payment your first housewarming will be a no knock warrant?

Old 06-07-2015, 10:10 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
So if you buy a house and transfer 50k for the down payment your first housewarming will be a no knock warrant?
That's up to you. You elect the people who say they need to know about the $50K. If the citizenry consents to a law that requires that it be reported, and it is not reported, they can get any warrant they need in order to force compliance. With your consent.

Before you start in with the tinfoil analogies, I happen to think the Libertarians are full of ****. But on this issue, they are right. Read about FBAR and FinCEN. " Each person (including a bank) subject to the jurisdiction of the United States having an interest in, signature or other authority over, one or more bank, securities, or other financial accounts in a foreign country must file an FBAR if the aggregate value of such accounts at any point in a calendar year exceeds $10,000." FinCEN stands for Financial Crimes Enforcement Network, which means these disclosures, with draconian penalties, are a part of "crime enforcement" even when no crime is alleged to have taken place. Newspeak. It falls under the Banking Secrecy Act, designed to ensure that you and your bank have absolutely no secrecy rights at all. Newspeak. The Congressman you elected -- this falls on you. Would you like to know what's in your dossier? Sorry, that's a secret.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-07-2015 at 10:30 PM..

Old 06-07-2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
That's up to you. You elect the people who say they need to know about the $50K. If the citizenry consents to a law that requires that it be reported, and it is not reported, they can get any warrant they need in order to force compliance. With your consent.

Before you start in with the tinfoil analogies, I happen to think the Libertarians are full of ****. But on this issue, they are right. Read about FBAR and FinCEN.
I agree the whole 10K is completely asinine. I should be able to go to the bank and withdraw $xx,xxx just so I can roll around in it without being looked at by the Government.

Personally though I am not going to lift a finger to do anything about it.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:20 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,638,175 times
Quote:

Before you start in with the tinfoil analogies, I happen to think the Libertarians are full of ****. But on this issue, they are right. Read about FBAR and FinCEN.
No, bank transfers are not included in the reporting requirements. Only CASH.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:35 AM

5 posts, read 19,767 times
Most reputable dealers will have no problem with you paying cash. Yes, they lose a few grand in financing, but you'll be in equity sooner and they'll be hitting you up within 18 months or even earlier to trade in your car for something newer.

I agree with the private party comment, though. With an allocated budget under $10k, you're much better off buying private. Bring someone who knows cars, and have the vehicle inspected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive