Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 03:26 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,231,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Toss every 3-4 years? There are many American cars out there being driven which are much older than that. My Lincoln Town Car is 21 years old.

I don't like misery, too. That is why I drive one Lincoln and two Cadillacs.

I wish you well in your American purchases....for me, it's Toyota all the way....oh what a feeling and all that.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 05:49 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
I wish you well in your American purchases....for me, it's Toyota all the way....oh what a feeling and all that.....
Glad you and many others are driving Toyotas. It makes me easier to find and drive big American cars. Life is too short for me to drive generic cars.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:15 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Went to my local salvage yard to find an exterior door handle for my 97 Chevy Tahoe because it broke from the snow/ice storm we just had. The handle is made of cast aluminum so 19 years of stress on it and the freezing temps finally broke it.

Anyway at the salvage yard all the american made cars and trucks are waaay in the back at the top of the hill in the yard. They keep the foreign cars in the front like Honda, Mazda, Toyota you know all that crap... because it's the most sought after. They had only one of my trucks in the yard.

Now if foreign cars are so superior why is it the most popular and busiest section of the salvage yard?

There is another large salvage yard about 2 hours from me the largest on the east coast acres and acres of cars. They have an online inventory so i did a quick scan... they have 90 Honda Civics, 37 Chevy Cavaliers, 21 Chevy Malibus, and 16 Chevy Impalas.

What does that tell you? Three of GMs most popular selling vehicles still can't beat how many POS Honda Civics are in the yard.
That's some odd logic. Any car is subject to being wrecked/flooded/etc and ending up on a salvage lot. And there are a lot of Civics still on the road generating demand for parts. Don't see many older domestics on the road anymore. They're not lasting as long. Plus, a lot of older domestics just got outright destroyed in the cash for clunkers deal.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:23 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,590,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
That's some odd logic. Any car is subject to being wrecked/flooded/etc and ending up on a salvage lot. And there are a lot of Civics still on the road generating demand for parts. Don't see many older domestics on the road anymore. They're not lasting as long. Plus, a lot of older domestics just got outright destroyed in the cash for clunkers deal.
What is odd logic? The import/foreign car section is always the busiest in the salvage yard. Sure their are wrecked cars but it doesn't make up the bulk of the selection. Also there are tons of older domestics where i live in the busy suburbs 40 mins north of Philadelphia. My tahoe is 19 years old and i see the same style truck and year every day more then a few times on the road.

Yep a lot of good domestics got scrapped because of the program. Not because they were "clunkers" people just wanted a new car.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:42 PM

If a scrap yard isn't stacked with and catering to(like putting up front) popular cars that are on the road they'll go out of business. If anything that's a good measure not bad.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:41 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,249,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
The 1980 Volkswagen Rabbit was the only lemon of the bunch....and it was a lemon in ever sense of the word. I had to walk more than once with that car. I rarely went 60 days without it being in the shop for a "non-maintenance" of one sort or another. Blown fuse blocks replaced at least twice, CV joints failed far to early, failed water pump, clogged up catalytic convertor, random rust spots all over the car (except the roof), wing window that had a glued on hinge and it kept coming lose and they never could get it glued on properly so that it stayed glued, alternator went bad far to soon and on and on and on. I think I sold the car when it had just over 100 thousand miles. I was honest with the new buyer.....but I doubt he believed me as to all I had suffered through.
So, because a Volkswagen built 36 years ago in Pennsylvania was a POS, you think that is useful information about which a prospective VW buyer today should be aware?

All Volkswagens prior to about 1999 were prone to corrosion. Since then, all Volkswagens (except rebadged Chrysler minivans) have come with a 12-year unlimited-mileage corrosion warranty. And most never had to have rust damage fixed under warranty.

Are there any cars today sold by GM, Ford, or FCA that have a warranty like that? Nope.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:53 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,661 times
Every manufacture has cars that are solid, long lasting, quality built vehicles and they all have cars that just don't make the cut and have way more problems than they should. Even changes from year to year or generation to generation in the same line up.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:28 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,590,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
If a scrap yard isn't stacked with and catering to(like putting up front) popular cars that are on the road they'll go out of business. If anything that's a good measure not bad.
You are missing the point. The import/foreign cars are put up front because there is more of a need for parts vs domestic so they put the domestics in the back. The demand for import parts is higher so they put those cars in the front. My point that import/foreign cars are superior is a myth.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:04 PM

No you're missing the point. The domestics are at the back because they're either not worth fixing or there just aren't enough left on the road to drive demand.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:52 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,249,499 times
High Altitude is right. Most car companies produced some very good cars that are worth fixing and keeping, and others that were ready for recycling before they were paid for.

It is impossible to label any domestic car company, or the entire domestic car industry, as either "reliable" or "not reliable."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive