Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 07:54 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,094,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
A one or two MPH speed differential comes to what? Ten or twenty minutes at the destination over the course of a ten hour drive. If that. Most of the time, the driver will be waiting anyway and consequently makes little or no difference. But it does make a huge difference between a few thousand motorists hating on truckers that much more.
Truckers have to keep logs of their time behind the wheel, on breaks, sleeping, everything. They are restricted from working over a certain number of hours in a given period. These twenty minutes could end up meaning the truck doesn't get to a destination until one day later. Also, some truckers get paid by the mile, not by the clock. Given a limit by the clock as to how much time you can spend behind the wheel, taking a few minutes to pass a slower moving truck several times a day can make a trucker a significant increase in income.

I used to drive truck in the 70's and can appreciate what they go through. However I still get anxious when stuck behind trucks just as you do. Now I work as a field service engineer and get paid by the hour as I drive. Every once in a while I have to tell myself, getting worked up over an occasional instance of having to drive slower isn't worth it.

Why not get worked up about unrealistic speed limits instead? It could be worse, like back when they made the speed limit everywhere 55mph. Imagine them doing that again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 08:11 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,434,410 times
So, just so I'm understanding it, the problem here is that if a truck is passing another truck and there's an incline and the truck doing the passing is going as fast as he can and that's not fast enough, you're going to have to wait until he finishes passing?

Old 06-30-2015, 08:13 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,416,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Sorry but truckers move America they carry everything you eat the clothes on your back to fuel to heat your homes. Truckers pay way more in highway tax than anyone. Trains can only go so far trucks have to take what is on those trains to we're ever it has to be delivers to. Also if truckers ever called a nation wide strike they could shut down this country. My brother was a trucker for over 30 yrs he owned and operated 5 semi trucks and trailers, I have the most upright respect for trucker because it's a rough and lonely life so if it were not for truckers most people would not have jobs. Because trucks deliver everything you use at your job.
That's nice, but they need to stay out of the left lane.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:15 AM

25,595 posts, read 17,329,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Again, though, why should that be anyone else's problem? Stay behind the other truck and slow down.
Who th' heck are you, the Blue Angels? You think everyone ought to just peal off in front of you so that you can just do as you like?

Doesn't work that way.

Believe me, you four-wheelers do enough dumb and dangerous driving of your own. You are simply not qualified to throw the "it ain't my problem" flag. It IS your problem. And it's not going away.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:15 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,839,557 times
Quote:
There are numerous highways where trucks are banned from the left-hand lane and I wish it would just become the rule everywhere. It's so much more pleasant.
Naw that makes way too much sense..therefore..the Federal gument would never go for it.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:17 AM

25,595 posts, read 17,329,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
That's nice, but they need to stay out of the left lane.
No. We'll get in any lane that is legal, thanks.

PS: Sometimes there is a little white sign (that four-wheelers never read) that instructs all trucks to move to the left lane.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:15 AM

15,437 posts, read 25,840,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Truckers have to keep logs of their time behind the wheel, on breaks, sleeping, everything. They are restricted from working over a certain number of hours in a given period. These twenty minutes could end up meaning the truck doesn't get to a destination until one day later. Also, some truckers get paid by the mile, not by the clock. Given a limit by the clock as to how much time you can spend behind the wheel, taking a few minutes to pass a slower moving truck several times a day can make a trucker a significant increase in income.
This is where the solution to this problem should come from. The system encourages this behavior. Fix the system so that it no longer causes drivers to lose money by waiting to pass.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:15 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,627,129 times
Ok, how about when he is being SLOOOOOOOOOOOWLY passed by another truck, the trucker in the RIGHT lane drops his speed 1 or 2 MPH? Or is he too insecure to back down for 2 minutes? And no, I'm not talking about climbing a steep upgrade, they ALREADY are not allowed to block the roads there by passing.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:24 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,340,514 times
Quote:
There are numerous highways where trucks are banned from the left-hand lane and I wish it would just become the rule everywhere. It's so much more pleasant.
Wow I thought it was, but I am no expert. Around here even on multiple lane highways every now and then then you see a truck in the extreme left lane. And not because it's about to make a rare left exit. But yeah I think it should be universal or national I guess, that they must stay in the right lane.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:39 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,767,636 times
Hopefully Amazon will just start delivering everything by drone, thus clearing up the roadways. After all, I'm pretty sure that everything sold in this country somehow traces back to Amazon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive