Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 08:24 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,011,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Don’t hold your breath waiting for the Diesel Hilux. ISIS has picked up all the production for the next couple of years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 10:50 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,512,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer22 View Post
I disagree. There is demand. Basically every teenage and college guy in my part of the country owned or wanted a Ranger or S-10. Ford is hurting themselves long-term by ignoring the young male marketing segment. So it might be less profit selling a Ranger (which I doubt because they will sell high-end XLT and special edition versions that retail for $30K) but you're winning over that buyer for Ford for their next 2 or 3 purchases. Also, there's a big-time demand for trucks with better fuel economy. I've talked with several adults in the delivery and construction business that don't need a full size truck but are forced to because of the lack of availability of a sensible smaller pickup.

You can disagree, but I'm betting Ford's marketing geeks know who pays the bills--it ain't broke college guys. If Ford was into flooding rental car lots, they might make a Ranger just to hand out paychecks to workers. They aren't in that mode anymore, though.

A '15 F150 is smaller than the last few generations and the highway MPGs are as good as any v6 Ranger ever was. So, that leaves you with four cylinder Rangers that make Ford absolutely nothing but warm fuzzies--not very profitable.

Having owned a Ranger and now two F150s, I can tell you that I'm not paying $30k for a Ranger when I can get full-size back seats and capability for that cost in the F150.

Looking at my local dealer's website, do I pay $28k for a '14 F150 SCrew with that sweet 3.7L v6 or $31,500 for a Tacoma?

Houston Used Ford Dealer in Pasadena TX | Used Car Dealers Houston

Old 07-07-2015, 09:04 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,797,292 times
Sweet isn't what comes to my mind when I think of the 3.7L ecoboost engine (or any ecoboost engine for that matter). They do make a lot of power but they are complex engines that could be very costly to fix if they fail. No thanks.

It isn't Ford's fault though. Our lovely Federal government has come up with all kinds of regs that make it difficult for auto makers to make anything simple and durable.

The Ford Ranger was a good truck. Several of my friends in high school had one and guess what?...they could work on them easily. The ecoboost engine is no shade tree mechanic engine but what US spec engine is nowadays?

Last edited by Azure110; 07-07-2015 at 09:15 AM..

Old 07-08-2015, 10:30 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,389,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Volkswagen used to sell a truck here in the states. In fact, it was manufactured here. Had the option of a diesel too. I'd love to see the Ranger sold again.

Purchased a 1995 Ranger XLT 4.0 Liter 5-speed manual and just loved that thing. Finally sold it at 280,000 miles because I didn't need it anymore for reason I purchased it. Only problems I had in that whole time was the replacement of the throw-out bearing and the fuel filler hose needed to be replaced. Hard to believe, but in all those miles, I only had to install one set of brake pads. That's the original pads and one set of replacements. Love those stick shifts! I miss that Ranger and would get another as my next vehicle purchase . . . if they were only available. I don't need or want a F150. I'm more comfortable driving something smaller.

VW did make some nice trucks back in the day. Not sure if the Thing (Yellow truck) was sold as a truck or not. Looks sweet though. The second image of the Type 1 is most likely a rebuild project. The two lower pictures, Type 2 transporters were almost eliminated from the US market because of the Chicken tax.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:04 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,135,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post

VW did make some nice trucks back in the day. Not sure if the Thing (Yellow truck) was sold as a truck or not. Looks sweet though. The second image of the Type 1 is most likely a rebuild project. The two lower pictures, Type 2 transporters were almost eliminated from the US market because of the Chicken tax.
These are not trucks these look like hot wheels apparently someone dose not know what a real pickup looks like and these are not it. A F150 is a pickup not these little toy trucks.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
These are not trucks these look like hot wheels apparently someone dose not know what a real pickup looks like and these are not it. A F150 is a pickup not these little toy trucks.
LOL, It was mentioned that VW made some trucks. I was just showing the kind that they made. Realize that the Transporter on the bottom is about a $30,000 truck if you wanted to buy one today.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:47 PM

Here is a VW truck that looks cool

Old 07-08-2015, 12:58 PM

13,723 posts, read 12,483,548 times
Quote:
They certainly look just as capable as a similar vintage Toyota pickup, or an S10 or Ranger...

Old 07-08-2015, 07:05 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,135,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
They certainly look just as capable as a similar vintage Toyota pickup, or an S10 or Ranger...
Even S 10 and Rangers are for the want a b pickup truck drivers, sorry I'm a full size pickup guy, I had 3 F150's the last one Fx4 with the 5.4 engine and 17 in tires and rims. If I need a truck I get a real truck not no 4 banger or 6 banger drive a real mans truck if you are going to drive one. Now you know why Ford and GM stoped making them, no one was buying them any more. What can you do with a little truck not much. This Ford F150 is my idea of a Tonka truck compared to those import sissy trucks.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/JASwq_w1h3o/maxresdefault.jpg

Old 07-08-2015, 07:12 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,278,018 times
Quote:
Even S 10 and Rangers are for the want a b pickup truck drivers, sorry I'm a full size pickup guy, I had 3 F150's the last one Fx4 with the 5.4 engine and 17 in tires and rims. If I need a truck I get a real truck not no 4 banger or 6 banger drive a real mans truck if you are going to drive one. Now you know why Ford and GM stoped making them, no one was buying them any more. What can you do with a little truck not much. This my idea of a Tonka truck.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/JASwq_w1h3o/maxresdefault.jpg
So going off of your logic any Dodge with an i6 diesel isn't a real truck?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive