Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 02:49 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,472,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
People think they are giving them away just because they are done with them. Our local Enterprise Sales is anything but cheap. A 13 4Runner for $38K? Is this a good deal? A 14 Versa with 36K is $13K. I can get a brand new one for not much more.
Yeah, and like Carmax, the rental places don't haggle on price, so the sticker price is what you pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 03:16 PM

105 posts, read 106,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Pass on it! If anything, its been abused more!
I work at Enterprise and I ensure you, that we take it to certified Mechanics for Oil Changes, Check engine lights, etc.

Old 07-09-2015, 04:21 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,396,690 times
rentals are not abuse more, yes there are people that dont care, but how many cars get look at by the mechanic when ever its comes back on the yard. so hell yes i would consider a rental

Old 07-09-2015, 04:39 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,862,528 times
I guess I am really wierd but if anything, I drive more carefully. I certainly don't want to pay for damage to the car when it is returned. Yes, I may not dodge the pot hole or worry about parking in a tight space, but I am not going to race or drive like the Dukes of Hazzard with it either. I don't want to pay for any damages.
I have had much older cars lately for rentals, it seems like they are keeping them longer and with higher mileage. The last one, I noticed a chip on the windshield and worried they might try to say I did that, but I was lucky.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:22 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,253,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
rentals are not abuse more, yes there are people that dont care, but how many cars get look at by the mechanic when ever its comes back on the yard. so hell yes i would consider a rental
Zero, unless it's time for it's schedule Maintence or it has an issue. Lots of times the bigger locations have piles of cars waiting to be looked at. If the locations is running short on cars where do you think they get them from? The Maintence pending lot. Cars come in, get washed then rented right back out.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:21 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,281,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Never again, we made that mistake once. Unfortunately, in our state, the fact that it was a previous rental has to be on the title, but the seller, including dealers, do not have to disclose it. We bought a 4Runner with about 70k miles that looked and ran great, but when the title came saw the notation on the title. By then there was nothing we could do. Within a couple of months, some body trim fell off, and the power antenna got stuck down. A bit later the driver seat power adjustment gave out. Then the next summer, at about 85,000 miles the transmission went and had to be rebuilt at $2,800. At 99k the head gasket blew, thankfully that one was covered by a "secret warranty" to 100k miles by Toyota. During that entire time we had to replace the front brake pads and rotors every 10,000 miles, as they would warp and cause a shaking steering wheel. Was some or all of this related to multiple drivers, different any day or two? No way to know, it might have just been a lemon, but it definitely put us off of buying rental cars (and Toyotas).
Not sure if this was a rental problem or a Toyota problem. I guess some Toyotas don’t run “forever” after all.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:23 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
I emailed a dealer and asked since the price seemed a bit too reasonable. He said yes and that rentals are better taken care of than single owner vehicles. Really?
If my mechanic cleared it yes I would make the purchase, if my mechanic says no then I would not.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:39 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,638,098 times
I've purchased off lease rentals several times. I received the maintenance records etal and have never had a problem. The records will show if it was maintained as it was suppose to be. Also a car report would show any major accidents, usually not a fender bender dent situation.
You could also take it to a independent auto shop for a review of the vehicle.
The savings can be well worth it.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:08 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,488,281 times
If you buy a rental car it may have been abused by some, not most, of the previous drivers.
If you buy a one owner car, and are unlucky, it may have been abused it's entire life by it's previous owner.
You really gotta judge the condition of the car.

I bought a 2005 Malibu with 42000 miles from a Craigslist seller. in 2009. When I went to the sellers home to view the car, the car was like new. I paid for a Carfax report which showed the car had been a rental and had been in an accident. The report showed the car had accumulated about 10k miles as a rental and 30k with the currant owner. The car now has 110000 miles and I expect it to last several more years. The rental company and the 2nd owner took better care of the car than I do.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:14 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,996,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
Ok thanks for the responses. Now what if the vehicle is a "fleet lease vehicle"? I inquired about another vehicle and she said it was not a rental but leased. Any red flags with that?

Had a friend lease a Toyota Tacoma - 3 year lease. Truck looked new when he turned it in at end of 3 year lease.
Except. He never changed the engine oil. His attitude was that since he didn't own the vehicle - why pay for anything.
At end, just before turning in, his wife checked the oil. Black and almost empty. She went to shop and had oil changed. Then it was turned in.
Someone will buy this former lease vehicle thinking that they have a mint used truck.
Does this happen to all former lease vehicles? No, of course not. But how will you know?

Maintenance on rental cars varies by rental company. The Hertz and the Avis will do a better job then some of the lower tier rental companies.

Every car that I have rented all over the country has had scratches and stains. Those are the airport rentals. Not all rental cars come from airport rentals. I have found that airport rentals - some/many just don't care.
Of course there are rentals that are not airport rentals. Those are probably in much better shape.
But how do you know where the used rental car comes from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive