Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 07:48 AM

792 posts, read 2,874,930 times

Advertisements

My 1998 Altima was a rental. When I bought it it was five months old and had 11,000 miles. I figured those had to be mostly highway miles. I never had a problem with it until 175K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 08:27 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C TROODON View Post
How does "oil changes" and routine maintenance along with "50 point inspections...a rip" prevent neutral drops...going airborne, red line over revving, power slides, hitting speed bumps at the mall at high speed, taking a unibody FWD off road for the Baja 400.......smoking weed inside, hauling drunks around and puking or crapping in it......hauling smelly, dirty pets etc....etc.... make it ok?

That's a "mystery" left for unmechanically inclined potential buyers who have more money than brains.......

You have to be over 25, have a credit card, full coverage insurance, and clean driving record to rent a car. People who ride around drunk and smoking weed likely wouldn't qualify to rent one in the first place.

I think off lease vehicles are worse, especially since many of those people couldn't afford to buy the car, so they probably have have skimped on maintenance. Many have the attitude that since its under warranty they just drive it as-is until they turn it in.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:40 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,088,745 times
Assume that 5% of the people who drive cars, rented or not, abuse them. Would you rather buy a used car(former rental) that had been abused 5% of the time it was in use, or take a chance that the used car was owned by one of those 5% and abused all the time?

Old 07-13-2015, 01:40 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
To my knowledge, at least here where I live, a national car rental place has a garage that is always busy with maintenance activity whenever I have been there with the need to rent a car. As mentioned, they may actually be better maintained by the rental company, as no company wants a breakdown on their hands!
Breakdowns seldom happen in the first couple of years of a car's life no matter how poorly you treat them. The rental industry model is to suck the best years from the car and dump it before problems start surfacing. They aren't trying to make the car last 10 years and 200,00 miles. Abuse and neglect typically take quite a bit of time before showing up and resulting in breakdowns. For example, you can skip oil changes for 20,000 miles and the engine isn't going to lock up but the overall lifespan may well have been shortened.

Old 07-13-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Breakdowns seldom happen in the first couple of years of a car's life no matter how poorly you treat them. The rental industry model is to suck the best years from the car and dump it before problems start surfacing. They aren't trying to make the car last 10 years and 200,00 miles. Abuse and neglect typically take quite a bit of time before showing up and resulting in breakdowns. For example, you can skip oil changes for 20,000 miles and the engine isn't going to lock up but the overall lifespan may well have been shortened.
It's in the rental company's best interest to keep the factory warranty in effect. Why would they skip oil changes and void the warranty?

Old 07-13-2015, 03:34 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
It's in the rental company's best interest to keep the factory warranty in effect. Why would they skip oil changes and void the warranty?
Have you ever had to document oil changes to get factory warranty work performed? I haven't.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:48 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
They don't have the same factory warranty as the consumers do.

Quote:
Have you ever had to document oil changes to get factory warranty work performed? I haven't.
It depends on the work. I did as a result of an engine sludging problem that caused the car to throw a rod.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
If there's an engine problem, then yes, they ask for proof of oil changes.

Old 07-16-2015, 05:25 PM

20 posts, read 24,194 times
Haha. That's funny. I'd say they're more abused since the person renting it doesn't have to care about the maintenance on it. Hell, I always smash in a rental car every now and then just to see what it's made of.

Old 07-17-2015, 04:32 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,993,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnozahs View Post
Haha. That's funny. I'd say they're more abused since the person renting it doesn't have to care about the maintenance on it. Hell, I always smash in a rental car every now and then just to see what it's made of.
Let me guess, you never drive your personal vehicle aggressively. Wouldn't do that, would you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive