Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Car parked on the shoulder of the interstate - do you change lanes?
Yes 58 47.15%
No 8 6.50%
Case by case 53 43.09%
Only for emergency vehicles 8 6.50%
I had never thought of this 2 1.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 07:17 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,036,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
If safely possible, yes. It depends how far on the shoulder the car is and how wide the shoulder too.
The shoulder is a minimum of 10 feet wide by law. It's ridiculous to change lanes simply because a car is parked on the shoulder. Where do people live where you can do that? I see hundreds of cars parked on the shoulder. They are usually there for at least three days before they get towed.

I think it's dumb to have to change lanes for emergency vehicles on the shoulder, but it's the law, and I don't want to have some pissed off cop coming after me. So I do it, as much as possible. If I don't have to, I don't move over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 10:36 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,389,568 times
In IL it is law that you have to switch lanes for emergency vehicles or to slow down "significantly". The ambiguity there can get you into big trouble and I don't see that getting hit on the shoulder at a speed of 55 is any better than a speed of 75 or that reducing speed lowers your chances of being substantially.

I understand the safety concerns...but one has to consider how safety is impacted whenever you have to change lanes. Sometimes traffic is very heavy and difficult to change lanes. Sometimes people start behaving very erratically when they feel they HAVE to switch lanes and do so very quickly without signalling or even checking their mirrors. If you're trying to avoid a ticket at all costs then you may be putting yourself or others in danger.

I don't agree with the "move half a lane over" philosophy. If you think you can do that more easily without checking traffic, you're a fool. Either you move a full lane over and do it carefully or you don't do it at all - it's more dangerous to try to share two lanes!

I try not to change lanes unless I have to - for example, if I see a big sticker on the car because it has been marked as "abandoned" I definitely do NOT. If they've pulled way off on the shoulder so there is PLENTY of space for them even to open a car door fully, then I do NOT.

Old 07-11-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
Personally, I always move over and give the car space. I am concerned that the car could pull out into traffic and there would be very little time to react if that happened. I figure it doesn't take much time or effort to change lanes so why not? I can't figure any downsides to do it.
There is always SOME danger when you change lanes - the question is whether the supposed danger avoided is greater than the danger you incur from other vehicles you may be impeding or from too quickly changing lanes and in the process loosing control of your own vehicle.

Old 07-11-2015, 10:51 AM

15 posts, read 31,202 times
I change lanes if it's safe to, but if there is heavy/fast traffic in the lane left of me, I just slow down.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:17 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,325,352 times
If I notice people in it or around it, then yes (unless I'm in traffic).

Old 07-11-2015, 12:40 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,024,842 times
Quote:
I don't agree with the "move half a lane over" philosophy. If you think you can do that more easily without checking traffic, you're a fool. Either you move a full lane over and do it carefully or you don't do it at all - it's more dangerous to try to share two lanes!
(bold is mine)

Uh, and who said anything about not checking. Obviously, you should look first. And if there's a vehicle in that lane then you can't move over. Duh.. Geez.
Whether I move over a little or change lanes...EITHR WAY you still have to look to see if you can safely do that. So you're point about not looking makes absolutely no sense....there IS no point to it.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
(bold is mine)

Uh, and who said anything about not checking. Obviously, you should look first. And if there's a vehicle in that lane then you can't move over. Duh.. Geez.
Whether I move over a little or change lanes...EITHR WAY you still have to look to see if you can safely do that. So you're point about not looking makes absolutely no sense....there IS no point to it.
If you feel the need to move over because of safety issues, why only move over HALF the lane? Maybe one reason is because they are trying to avoid whatever danger you perceive could happen from traffic in the other lane like you have less chance of getting hit? I dunno - I'm only trying to figure out possible reasons....

Old 07-11-2015, 01:40 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,024,842 times
^^ Because there's no NEED to move all the way over...I just need to move over enough so that IF someone steps out or opens a door I won't hit either...and you don't need to move all the way in the other lane to do that. Moving over just about a quarter or half lane with is enough. Just like going around a car that's turning...you don't need to go ALL the way in the other lane to get around that car. Or do you? Maybe YOU do. I don't.

Old 07-11-2015, 02:12 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,757,118 times
I zoom past as fast and as close as possible and if I can I try to hit them with my empty bottle of Jack Daniels.

Old 07-11-2015, 03:16 PM

749 posts, read 853,360 times
Sure I move over if I can, I always assume a person will come flying out or jump from around the car right in my way or open a Huge door before I can avoid hitting it/them - even if the car looks empty. I always think everyone else on or near the roadway are complete, suicidal idiots, maybe why I have 40+ years of accident-free driving, knock wood!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive