Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 12:08 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
In my price range they aren't as common as you'd think for one that's 2012 and newer. I'm just being really stingy (and growing increasingly impatient) and am trying to minimize my monthly payments as much as possible. I want to stay under $12,000.

Regarding the mileage on the car, it's listed at 55,652.
I would then only caution that any deal which sounds too good to be true probably is. If the vast majority of this car is priced higher by dealers, there is probably a reason this one is much cheaper. In this case, apparently, it is due to a come-on price with tons of fees attached to make up the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 12:52 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Dealers will ask for as many additional charges as they can, in the hope that a sucker comes in lured by the advertised price and falls in love with the car before they see the total cost. All of that, like the sale price, is negotiable. In your case it may have some cost in gas and time, but it doesn't hurt to go there and see what you can do. Look up all of the other dealers along the way and look at some more on the way back. I drove 2 hours once to a dealer that had several of the model I wanted, after calling, because none in our area had more than one, most none. When I got there the salesman figured I'd be an easy target after driving all that way, but after 2 hours and starting to walk out twice, I got the deal I wanted.

Old 07-14-2015, 01:05 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
It costs money to bring these cars up to current maintenance standards.

So the dealer didn't acquire the car for $850 less to account for reconditioning?
Isn't that why there is a big difference between trade-in amount and the retail amount?

Old 07-14-2015, 02:15 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,471,110 times
Quote:
Just out of curiosity I reduced the search to a max price of $12,000 and it gave me 3 coupes, two of which have an accident on its Carfax report, the other doesn't offer one. I'm in Nashville so there should be a decent amount of opportunities that come through dealerships around here at some point. If nothing else, Atlanta is 4 hours away and there are plenty there, or will be eventually. Maybe I can keep in touch with the guy in Florida and we can agree to something ahead of time and I'll agree to buy the car at an out-the-door price if they really want to sell it and I bother to come down.

Or maybe that's just really naive and I should just deal with Hyundai because I have some connections with a dealership here and I can easily get a pretty nice discount on one there and have a much more convenient and hassle free experience.

Now I see why no one likes buying a car...
Drake,

Here's the deal man. This price on this car is a bait and switch. Puts me in mind of when I was shopping around for deals in plane tickets a while back. One airline had a ticket price that was $200 less than everybody else, but that's because they didn't include all of their miscellaneous fees. Once all the fees were added, the tickets were as much as the other airlines. Point being, this dealer is just trying to attract foot traffic through the door. Once people are wowed into the dealership, then they start hitting them with all these fees.

You're better off being a little more patient, maybe saving up another $2,000, and finding your car locally or fairly locally. I know how it is to get car fever, but trust me, after awhile, it becomes "just a car". As much as I loved my Mustang, in the end, it was just a car and I was able to trade it in.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:25 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
It costs money to bring these cars up to current maintenance standards.
Then they should include those costs in the advertised price instead of playing stupid bait-and-switch games.

OP, I wouldn't waste another second talking to a dealership who can't even do something as basic as provide a good-faith asking price.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:05 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
Dealer padding, just a new angle...

A young, novice car buyer is very vulnerable...
GL, mD
Exactly. So many people fall for the idea that because a business dreams up a new "Fee" for something that you have to pay it. Nonsense. Many businesses have made up most of these fees the past few years because most people swallow whatver extra fees and pay without complaint. I don't. Unless I must pay the fee, I refuse. And it doesn't matter if the fee is $2 or $200. It's my money, and just because a business says they're charging it doesn't mean I'll pay it. I'll go on down the road to another place that doesn't.

Case in point: A month ago, I saw an online coupon for a $19.99 Sears oil change. It seemed like a good deal (which it is) until I read the fine print. "Price subject to $3.00 additional shop fee." What, I have to pay them extra for running their own shop now? I don't think so.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:08 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,736,582 times
I ALWAYS negotiate out the door price. I don't car if they tack on random bogus fees, just deduct it from our negotiated price.

If we settle on $12K OTD, that is what I am paying. Not a cent more

Old 07-14-2015, 03:17 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,085,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I ALWAYS negotiate out the door price. I don't car if they tack on random bogus fees, just deduct it from our negotiated price.

If we settle on $12K OTD, that is what I am paying. Not a cent more
That's what I'm wondering if I could pull off. The dealership can do whatever they want and call each fee whatever they want to call it. Bottom line is I just care what the OTD price would be. I also figure since I'm making a commitment to drive 10 hours to look at that car specifically, and it from Carfax, it looks like it's approaching a month or more for sale so maybe they're growing increasingly desperate to get rid of it. If I can stay in contact with the salesman and say in a week or two it's still for sale, maybe they'd be willing to commit to a reasonable OTD price should I choose to buy it.

Morally I don't care if they sneak hidden fees in there. It can **** me off, but if I can negotiate the OTD number down to something I can deal with, I get my car and they get their money.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:24 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
That's what I'm wondering if I could pull off. The dealership can do whatever they want and call each fee whatever they want to call it. Bottom line is I just care what the OTD price would be. I also figure since I'm making a commitment to drive 10 hours to look at that car specifically, and it from Carfax, it looks like it's approaching a month or more for sale so maybe they're growing increasingly desperate to get rid of it. If I can stay in contact with the salesman and say in a week or two it's still for sale, maybe they'd be willing to commit to a reasonable OTD price should I choose to buy it.

Morally I don't care if they sneak hidden fees in there. It can **** me off, but if I can negotiate the OTD number down to something I can deal with, I get my car and they get their money.

Which opens you up to trickeration.
Once you've traveled 10 hours to come see them, they know that , more than likely, they have you captive since you're "invested".

Old 07-14-2015, 03:28 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,085,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Which opens you up to trickeration.
Once you've traveled 10 hours to come see them, they know that , more than likely, they have you captive since you're "invested".
Yeah that's the flip side, however if they would renege on a potential deal we'd agreed to, THEN I'd have no problem saying forget this, I'm out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive