Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 01:32 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times

Advertisements

Gave up finding a cheap sunshade in the stores. Don't want to pay $30 or more for custom fit shade (cheap ones won't last and others just too expensive). Want to build my own. Looking for ideas and tips. Thinking of bubble wrap with foil type material on sun side and some form of slats (light wood or hard plastic pieces for rigidity to help keep from sagging). This way I could roll it up length ways and use a Velcro strap to keep closed. I'm not sure what type of adhesive to use for the high temperatures. Would simple glue stick or spray on adhesive work for the foil to bubble wrap? If wood sticks or plastic, what type of adhesive? I've had the plain cardboard before back when they first came out so I know plain cardboard won't work. Whatever I use has to be cheap and easy to work with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 09:45 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,785,881 times
How to Make Your Own Sun Shades for Cars (5 Steps) | eHow

Old 09-02-2015, 08:12 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,823,956 times
I used the flexible-wire type sunshade for years and found it to be cheap, very quick to mount or dis-mount, fold and store, it covered the glass completely (did NOT have to be 'custom' shaped), and effectively.

This is a big one, for only $15. (if you have a small car, they make smaller versions):
http://www.amazon.com/Windshield-Pro...dp/B00GSAUHB8/

(My current car has black interior so I went the next step and added tint to all the glass that actually reflects 80% of the heat / IR wavelengths, so a sunshade isn't needed).

Old 09-02-2015, 08:51 AM

3,377 posts, read 9,203,461 times
If I had had bought a quality product in the first place I would be money ahead. Wasting my money on the cheap / junk shades was a poor choice.

Spending $50 on a perfect fit Covercraft shield was a wise purchase.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007V2...DYL&ref=plSrch

Old 09-02-2015, 09:05 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
If I had had bought a quality product in the first place I would be money ahead. Wasting my money on the cheap / junk shades was a poor choice.

Spending $50 on a perfect fit Covercraft shield was a wise purchase.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007V2...DYL&ref=plSrch
This.

Considering how cheap a sunshade is, you should buy one specifically designed for your car, otherwise you are just wasting money on junk.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:22 AM

3,377 posts, read 9,203,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
I used the flexible-wire type sunshade for years and found it to be cheap, very quick to mount or dis-mount, fold and store, it covered the glass completely (did NOT have to be 'custom' shaped), and effectively.

This is a big one, for only $15. (if you have a small car, they make smaller versions):
http://www.amazon.com/Windshield-Pro...dp/B00GSAUHB8/

(My current car has black interior so I went the next step and added tint to all the glass that actually reflects 80% of the heat / IR wavelengths, so a sunshade isn't needed).
It sounds like you got ceramic tint? I can't get enough of mine...it is truly amazing. I have thought about doing the windshield in a clear ceramic also.

Although I would still use the sunshade. I have 30 % tint all around and with the sunshade blocking light it makes it very dark in the car. At night you need a flash light to see inside. My theory is it discourages theft since a quick glance inside isn't going to happen.

Old 09-02-2015, 12:14 PM

430 posts, read 639,384 times
You'd spend more building one than just buying it

Old 09-02-2015, 05:19 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,244,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post

Amazon.com: No.1 Windshield Sun Protector, Cool FREE Product Included With Sun Shade - A Powerful UV Ray Deflector, High Quality Car Sunshade To Keep Your Vehicle Cool And Damage Free, Our Car Sun Shades Are Easy To Use See The Reviews: Automotive
I found a set of the wire-type sun shade for $2 at my local thrift store. some people can't figure out how to fold it and then give it away.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:06 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,122,758 times
Go here to buy a shade custom made to fit your car

WeatherTech TechShade custom fit sun shade sun visor cars, trucks, SUV, CUV, minivan | WeatherTech.com

Old 09-03-2015, 09:39 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
I was able to find perfect fit sunshades on eBay for about $30 apiece. They're so much easier to deal with putting them up and taking them down and they don't leave gaps.

Well worth the few extra dollars, especially in Texas summers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive