Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 07:24 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,231,171 times

Advertisements

I guess it depends on what you can rent a car for.

I always rent cars for trips.. even now with owning a new car I still rent for long trips. It keeps miles down on mine, as well as wear and tear (because I have been on some pretty rough roads when I travel to other areas - roads I would not want to drive my car on. I-26 in western NC around the Asheville area is horrid, at least compared to my local roads).

I guess it depends on the price though for many, I can rent them really cheap around here, but I know some places are more $. If you can rent one cheap, I would vote for rental, if not, then use your own and put the $ into repairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 07:36 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
your car sounds very serviceable and eventually replaceable. (not a classic or a custom / exotic. not a beater)

Add Emergency Road service to your car insurance (~$10/ yr)

Take your car and enjoy the trip.

BTW, my 'newest' car has well over 200k miles, several with 300k +. I am not interested in 'preserving' miles, or I would have disconnected the speedo years ago!

Old 09-15-2015, 08:13 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
One question is insurance. If you don't carry collision and comprehensive on your personal car the rental won't have it either. Unless you pay for it. Wrecking a rental is bad news. They come after you for loss of use in addition to damages. Make sure you have done your homework on coverage.

And issuing the blanket statement of....oh my credit card covers it with out spending 10 to 15 minutes learning about what your credit card covers doesn't cut it.

If you really want to know what you are saving by keeping the miles off of your personal car play around with KBB or Nada used car prices. Enter your current mileage and get the used price. Then subtract 5000 miles and see how much the value goes up. You might be surprised to see it really doesn't mater much.
My credit card coverage is quite good. I hit a deer coming back from out of town, and the card took care of it. Those rental companies are not going to do too much to **** off Visa, or MC, because if either refused to deal with a rental company, it would be bad times for that company. Visa can live without Dollar, or Budget, but they can't live without Visa.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:16 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,964,579 times
Fly then rent. Put the liability on the rental. If there's a breakdown they take care of it.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:51 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,083,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb29456 View Post
I have a Hyundai 2007Sonata with over 100k miles on it. I am wondering whether I should rent a car to travel to upstate NY from Charleston SC or not. The care is in pretty good shape although I had to put a new starter and battery last year. Just had an oil change and the mechanic said that every thing looks great.

So what do you think? Should I rent or drive my own car for the tip to NY and back?
In your situation, I would fly and rent unless you have the luxury of time. You're looking at 13-14 hours each way, that's a decent chunk of time.

If it were closer, I would drive your own car. Unless you have an exotic, a couple thousand miles really isn't going to matter very much for resale. Plus, I don't think about resale when I have a car, I think about the use and enjoyment I get out of it.

100k on modern cars is nothing, really. I think even with just standard maintenance and the regular repairs of wear and tear items, most cars these days will last 200k.

I've always preferred to drive my own car as I enjoy driving my own car, it's what I bought it for.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:09 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
I've driven older cars than that on trips like that dozens of times. Don't worry about it. All those cars are easily good for 150K miles before anything happens that will inconvenience you on the drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Fly then rent. Put the liability on the rental. If there's a breakdown they take care of it.
When will they take care of it? How quickly?

I had a starter motor go out in my car in a little town in Georgia. I got it fixed and back on the road quicker than a rental company could have brought me a replacement, and I would have had to pay for the repair within the next couple of weeks anyway, if I had left my car home. So it cost me no money, and less time wasted, to be in my own car.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-15-2015 at 11:18 PM..

Old 09-16-2015, 09:52 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb29456 View Post
I have a Hyundai 2007Sonata with over 100k miles on it. I am wondering whether I should rent a car to travel to upstate NY from Charleston SC or not. The care is in pretty good shape although I had to put a new starter and battery last year. Just had an oil change and the mechanic said that every thing looks great.

So what do you think? Should I rent or drive my own car for the tip to NY and back?
How many days are you going for?
What are you concerned about? (Breakdowns? Wear and Tear? Cost?)
How much is a rental?

Old 09-16-2015, 10:11 AM

734 posts, read 920,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
How many days are you going for?
What are you concerned about? (Breakdowns? Wear and Tear? Cost?)
How much is a rental?
Two weeks. I just never had a car this long. It rides great. I just was worried about the engine braking down. I never had a car long enough getting up to 100k miles. It seems like people are saying that 100k is nothing so I shouldn't worry.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:02 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Its 9 years old. It has over 100K miles. Drive your car. If you said you had a new, minty car where you didn't want the rock chips and wear, maybe rent. But your car isn't going to depreciate more because of the added miles and I'm assuming has 10 years and 100K miles worth of everyday wear.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:09 AM

3,042 posts, read 5,002,336 times
I don't get the whole 'save depreciation on mileage' on your own car. Unless it's exotic, collectable, or leased.

If the depreciation were more than the cost of a rental, how would rental companies stay in business (especially given that rental fleet cars depreciate much faster)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive