Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 11:39 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,762,267 times

Advertisements

I'm on my second set of Duelers. First set went 65K miles/7 years. I like 'em.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 12:34 PM

344 posts, read 551,050 times
Longevity is another way to look at value. I find the Michelin LTX M/S last a long time, you can do a search for what various people claim for mileage. Costco and Sams have a slightly cheaper version, and a local indy shop might have the LTX cheaper than the chains. If you live in a sunny area and don't garage it, the sidewalls might rot first, then the cheaper ones might make sense.

Old 10-03-2015, 12:56 PM

8,063 posts, read 12,774,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
The Bridgestone Dueler is exactly what I am looking at. Thanks for all your input!
The dueler is a pretty good tire. I had some on my truck and got around 50k miles out of them. Great traction and road noise wasn't an issue.

Old 10-03-2015, 01:18 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times
I have a set of Pathfinder tires on my truck after changing the OEM BFGoodrich tires, which were bland, expensive and rough. The Pathfinders are a lot more aggressive and chunky looking, have a longer warranty from Discount Tire (50k Miles) the BFG was 35K. They ride much smoother, my only issue is that my pressure sensor has not been a fan of the new tires, but I think that's more a sensor issue. My tires, specifically, are re branded Kumho's w/o white walls for 15% less, a longer Discount Tire warranty because Pathfinder is their private brand. I've had Pathfinder tires on many cars in the past and they always were good tires until around 43-48K, then you have to start driving on roads where nails happen to be.

Old 10-03-2015, 01:20 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Tires are not the item to skimp on, as your safety on the road depends in large part on the tires' condition and quality. Good tires are necessary for safe driving.
But what is your definition of good? Being an expensive brand doesn't mean it's better. Keeping a good tread on your tires and not doing idiotic things like peeling out is more important, IMO. Besides, there are many important components to safe driving that have nothing to with brand of things you have and everything to do with driver behavior, things like driving at a safe speed and distance, not tailgating or cutting people off in traffic, obeying traffic lights and signs, getting your car inspected when it's due, etc.

Old 10-03-2015, 04:21 PM

344 posts, read 551,050 times
In certain circumstances I've driven cars with four different kinds of tires and not had issues. The sellers of tires try to make a religion out of how tires and special flim-flammery can save you, but it really comes down to skills practice and awareness of what your car can do as equipped.

I've watched a person from a different culture drive up to a storage unit, take a wheel with a worn tire off his truck, roll the least worn replacement tire out of his storage and mount it on the rim right there with his feet and a lever and a hand pump, no sacred nitrogen air or computer balancing. Off he went, just another day.

Motorcycle shop mechanics have been known to run their own bikes on customer cast-offs.

Meanwhile, if you have a front-wheel drive car, the free lifetime rotation effectively can't be done for "safety" reasons because of a faked video that "proves" the thickest tread needs to be on the rear. On a FWD vehicle, the fronts wear faster. So I end up doing my own rotations or I would buy tires more often...hmmm.

Where I'm going with this is the big chains no longer offer an advantage if you buy good tires, because they will renege on their promises and find a way to keep gouging. That advertising budget doesn't come from nowhere.

Old 10-03-2015, 04:50 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,284,192 times
I had Michelin's on my Chrysler 300. First set went 80,000 miles, second set over 60,000. Decided to save money on the next set and got Hankooks. In under 40,000 they were sh*t. Went back to Michelin's.

Old 10-03-2015, 04:54 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
My title says it all - buy Pathfinder tires at the max price my budget would allow? Or a no name brand, same warranty (Discount tire) but for 25% less?

Every other time in my life that I needed a full set of new tires, my dad was making the purchase... so I need input from someone who knows what they're talking about. I've done a lot of reading, but I'm unsure what to do.

My husband knows less about cars than I do
buy the best tires you can afford, and the best tires your car needs for the conditions under which you drive. no need to buy pirellies or michelines when faulkens and kuhmos do quite well for a daily driver.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:24 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
But what is your definition of good?
I don't make up definitions. The term "good" already has a well established meaning that's universally recognized.

Quote:
Being an expensive brand doesn't mean it's better.
It does in many cases. Being cheaper very rarely makes it better.

Quote:
Keeping a good tread on your tires and not doing idiotic things like peeling out is more important, IMO. Besides, there are many important components to safe driving that have nothing to with brand of things you have and everything to do with driver behavior, things like driving at a safe speed and distance, not tailgating or cutting people off in traffic, obeying traffic lights and signs, getting your car inspected when it's due, etc.
Somebody has to buy those cheap tires.

Might as well be you.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:00 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,134 times
I would buy the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive