Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 01:50 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Again, not really seeing the point. I'm not participating in an Autocross event, I'm commuting to work. Even if I were driving a Corvette (I love Corvettes) I'd still be going to work in traffic. .
Just different strokes for differ folks.

I'd love to commute to work in a Corvette. Who cares if I don't hit 20MPH at all. My commute is part of the day I get to wake up and decompress at the end of the day. I'd rather do it in a car I take pride in and enjoy.

I've driven my Mustang to work. Who cares if I never got out of 2nd gear. Just having the windows down, hearing the exhaust rumble, and enjoying the sunshine through the sunroof puts a smile on my face. I don't need to be ripping down the road to have that effect.

Some people want to enjoy their commute in a car they like....for whatever reasons they choose. Their life, their business. No need to justify it to anyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 01:58 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,979,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Some people want to enjoy their commute in a car they like....for whatever reasons they choose. Their life, their business. No need to justify it to anyone else.
I will say that if I didn't have such a long commute I'd probably just get rid of the car and drive the truck. A major factor in keeping the Corolla is the extremely low operating cost. I get 30 MPG on winter fuel and as much as 33 MPG on summer fuel. If I was lucky enough to have a job 15 minutes down the road the fuel mileage wouldn't be an issue. On the rare day I drive the truck to work I do enjoy the looks I sometimes get hopping out of a Toyota pickup covered in trail damage and mud sitting on 33" MTs in a suit and tie

Old 10-06-2015, 06:24 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Got an 82 Scirocco in black rat rod primer, with over 200K I have put on it (no idea how many miles on the body) that I have reworked a lot of little "tuneup" things on, an 87 Camry with close to 300K, it has some body damage but mechanically great and I can fix the fender when I get time to do it, and what I am driving today, a halfway presentable Subaru Legacy AWD 1992 - this one the air still works, actually a pretty presentable car. Close to 300K on the Subie as well.

The Scirocco can get up to low 40's for MPG on summer gas. Seldom gets worse than 35 in any case.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:06 AM

280 posts, read 675,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
What's your commuting beater and how many miles are on it?
I have a 1999 Chevy Prizm, which is essentially a Toyota Corolla. I bought it in 2002 with about 35,000 miles on it.

It has stood up well to the rigors of Baltimore-Washington commuting and now has 259,000 miles on it. Like you said, it mainly requires regular maintenance like tires and brakes, although I do have to add a quart of oil every couple of weeks.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael21214 View Post
I have a 1999 Chevy Prizm, which is essentially a Toyota Corolla. I bought it in 2002 with about 35,000 miles on it.
Interesting, I didn't know that. Does it have the 1.8L 1ZZ-FE? Mine does consume a little oil, but apparently its not an uncommon problem nor that serious up to a point. There are plenty of engines that have gone 300+ with this condition. There's a whole writeup about the problem and potential fixes on ToyotaNation here:

DIY: Oil Consumption Fix - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Old 10-07-2015, 07:30 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
A guy near me bought a Volvo brand new in 1967 and drives around 63,000 miles year. Car has original engine, tranny, paint job and is not garaged. He has well over three million miles on car and is in Guiness Book of World Records.

I always find it amusing that folks say Japanese cars are reliable cause they make it to 300K. His record is for non-commercial vehicles.

I read online that a 1929 Ford model T Tow truck that is owned by a Gas station has world record overall for longest in use vehicle. It has been on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in operation for 86 years and has a few million miles. Now that is impressive.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:33 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
A guy near me bought a Volvo brand new in 1967 and drives around 63,000 miles year. Car has original engine, tranny, paint job and is not garaged. He has well over three million miles on car and is in Guiness Book of World Records.

I always find it amusing that folks say Japanese cars are reliable cause they make it to 300K. His record is for non-commercial vehicles.

I read online that a 1929 Ford model T Tow truck that is owned by a Gas station has world record overall for longest in use vehicle. It has been on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in operation for 86 years and has a few million miles. Now that is impressive.
So 1 Volvo has made it to 3 million miles and speaks of the brand? One from 1967 nevertheless.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:36 AM

Quote:

Japanese cars just have a much larger marketshare in the U.S. There's the occasional Volkswagen that makes it well past 300K but there are very few of them. I had a couple of turbo Volvos and they are definitely well engineered and well built cars.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:38 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
トヨタ アイシス | トヨタ自動車WEBサ イト

Toyota supplies cars to the ISIS terroists and even named a car model after ISIS.

Older Volvos last forever. My old boss sold hers used with 300K miles to her brother in law who drove it for another 150K and sold it to a third person. I dont know about new Volvos since China bought them.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:43 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Quote:
トヨタ アイシス | トヨタ自動車WEBサ イト

Toyota supplies cars to the ISIS terroists and even named a car model after ISIS.

Older Volvos last forever. My old boss sold hers used with 300K miles to her brother in law who drove it for another 150K and sold it to a third person. I dont know about new Volvos since China bought them.
So why do you find it amusing that Japanese cars are reliable when they make it to 300K yet you're tooting your bosses car for making it to 300K

And Volvos were unreliable before the Chinese got involved
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive