Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 02:03 PM

348 posts, read 372,457 times

Advertisements

I don't think it's a good idea for two reasons:

1.) The older the car the less safe it is. A new Corolla is leagues safer than a 15-year-old Corolla.

2.) Lots of commuting = lots of time spent in the car, and the older the car the less comfy it is, which is a life stressor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 02:18 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,980,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAL9000 View Post
I don't think it's a good idea for two reasons:

1.) The older the car the less safe it is. A new Corolla is leagues safer than a 15-year-old Corolla.

2.) Lots of commuting = lots of time spent in the car, and the older the car the less comfy it is, which is a life stressor.
I'm betting I'm comfier and safer than this guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
A guy near me bought a Volvo brand new in 1967 and drives around 63,000 miles year. Car has original engine, tranny, paint job and is not garaged. He has well over three million miles on car and is in Guiness Book of World Records.
Honestly the Corolla isn't all that bad in terms of comfort. Heat works, AC blows cold, seats are pretty decent. What more do you really need?

Old 10-07-2015, 02:26 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,450,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
BWAHAHAHAHA...really?

I did just Google this and found that the State Department, in its infinite wisdom, has questioned Toyota about the number of trucks ISIS has in it's possession, as if al-Baghdadi himself strolled into a Toyota dealership in Iraq and said "Hey, I need about 5,000 Hilux trucks, and throw in a couple of Land Cruisers too-and don't try to sell me any of that Simoniz Glasscoat crap either!" Toyotas are ubiquitous in the 3rd world because they are so durable. A Toyota will last a reasonably long time with little in the way of regular maintenance, which is why they are so popular there. ISIS simply commandeers whatever they can get their hands on. Funny how the State Department ignores the fact that HUMVEEs also make up a large portion of the ISIS fleet...hmmmm...wonder how that happened That's a whole other subforum though...

Oh and BTW, the Toyota Isis debuted in 2007, well before the Islamic State In Syria existed, and is named for the Egyptian Goddess of motherhood, which makes sense, because it's a minivan. This association is akin to saying that the National Rifle Association has something in common with the Chinese National Revolutionary Army, or that one who invests in an Investment Retirement Account is somehow a supporter of the Irish Republican Army.

They also have Brand New Toyotas, it is a felony to sell to ISIS, AML, OFAC, Sanctions etc. How did they get a hold of brand new ones is the big question. Did Toyota directly sell to them.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
They also have Brand New Toyotas, it is a felony to sell to ISIS, AML, OFAC, Sanctions etc. How did they get a hold of brand new ones is the big question. Did Toyota directly sell to them.
Are there not Toyota dealers in the Middle East in the areas ISIS has been raping and pillaging? If they came across a Toyota dealer or some kind of holding area for new vehicles do you really think they'd say "Gee fellas, I dunno...I mean these are brand new-you're not saying we should just take them are you?" Again, the real issue is how were they able to get their hands on so much U.S. military hardware THAT YOU AND I PAID FOR!!! Now back to the regularly scheduled commuting beaters thread...

Old 10-07-2015, 08:04 PM

329 posts, read 628,163 times
Got 93 LS400 with 260K miles, still looks/drives like new and everything works. I'm plan to keep it as long as I can.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:29 PM

899 posts, read 1,015,719 times
1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 automatic - bought it in 2003, now has 272,000 miles. Takes the kids back and forth to school 5 days a week at the very least.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:18 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,976 times
I have a horrible commute to work. Heavy traffic, 50 miles each way. My work car is an '06 Prius with 225K miles on it. I have spent almost nothing on it as far as maintenance goes, and I still get about 48 MPG. No way would I get rid of it unless it needed a MAJOR repair (and I mean over $2K).

My other car is a Mercedes E350 with 9K miles on it. I baby it and it is garage kept. The Prius is my little work horse. The Mercedes is my comfort car.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
I have a horrible commute to work. Heavy traffic, 50 miles each way. My work car is an '06 Prius with 225K miles on it. I have spent almost nothing on it as far as maintenance goes, and I still get about 48 MPG. No way would I get rid of it unless it needed a MAJOR repair (and I mean over $2K).
Nice to know that there are hybrids out there with this kind of mileage trouble free. When the Corolla finally does die I've considered looking at an older Highlander hybrid-basically I'd get an AWD 7 seater SUV that gets the same mileage I'm getting now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive