Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 09:16 AM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,774 times

Advertisements

I've had vehicles that had accidents and carfax didn't show anything. I got rear ended and the carfax for that car says I rear ended someone. I wouldn't put too much faith in carfax and on a lease car I wouldn't worry about it at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 12:42 AM

127 posts, read 101,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
My son’s car got hit from behind ever so slightly that I can’t even call it a dent. You can’t see anything. He has contacted the other guy’s insurance company and plans to take it in. Then I thought about Carfax. Once you take your car to a body shop for repairs, it instantly becomes a car with a “record" that will show up in “background checks”. Am I making too much of it? I know the repair is minor but at sale time who is going to explain it all? All they see is that the car has been “fixed”.
A few years ago, a guy backed into my car. Smashed the tail light and required about three thousand dollars in body work to fix it. The other guy's insurance took care of it for me. About a year later, while driving a different car, I backed into a van. The bumper on the van was detached and I left a dent in the rear. My car had a minor scratch on it. Because I had lost my wallet, I didn't have any ID when I caused the accident. So the Police were called and a report was taken.

As of last month, neither of my vehicles show an accident on the carfax report. I don't understand why.

Old 03-19-2016, 06:22 AM

211 posts, read 409,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiphrisity View Post
Insurance companies and auto repair shops are being paid by Carfax to report it all. US govt also mandated that they should also report it to its funded agencies such as NMVTIS for public use. Try carfax alternative reports from Vinaudit. They might have explained it well.

.....any supporting documentation to support this.......

Old 03-19-2016, 08:55 AM

439 posts, read 517,207 times
Default yeah, I don't put too much weight into Carfax...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
FWIW, I was rear ended 5 years ago by a guy doing 45. He went up under my SUV and I also was pushed into the car in front (we were parked at a light). Due to insurance company screwups, they ended up fixing my car rather than totaling it out. $ 28,000 in body work, TWO insurance companies and 6 months to rebuild the car. When I went to trade it in 2 years later, I pulled the Carfax report. Not a word about it.
So many accidents don't show up on there. Sure, the report could reveal *something* but then again, it may not...

Old 03-19-2016, 08:59 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
Carfax doesn't "create" anything. They merely pass along items that have been reported to them. If no report was made available to them, they have nothing they can say.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:45 AM

17 posts, read 13,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
My son’s car got hit from behind ever so slightly that I can’t even call it a dent. You can’t see anything. He has contacted the other guy’s insurance company and plans to take it in. Then I thought about Carfax. Once you take your car to a body shop for repairs, it instantly becomes a car with a “record" that will show up in “background checks”. Am I making too much of it? I know the repair is minor but at sale time who is going to explain it all? All they see is that the car has been “fixed”.
THey should! If nothing shows up or you're in doubt with the data, run a vin check at VINaudit. NMVTIS might have the lacking information //www.city-data.com/forum/class...l#post45310775 We did it multiple times, though not everytime, it helped mostly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive