Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 07:43 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,904,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolli30 View Post
Why is it that smaller cars don't come with all the bells and whistles and options offered for the bigger models? I wish the manufacturers realized that not everyone wants to drive a big car or SUV, but some people would like to have the same package options.

Like for example the Ford Escape vs the Ford Edge.

The Edge offers capacitive touch controls, while the Escape doesn't. The Edge also has more upscale materials inside. Plus the Edge offers all manner of collision warning controls, adaptive cruise control, etc. while Escape does not.

I want all the interior features and options of an Edge, but in an Escape body size. I would pay the Edge price for an Escape body as well!!!!!!!!!

This is just one example, but I see this across all brands.
What about the compact luxury SUVs like X1/3, RDX, NV, the Cadillac one...?

They will have all of the bells and whistles, in a smaller body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 11:19 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
If you want a smaller SUV with upscale features, the X3 and GLK are in the same size range as an Escape, even if the GLK is a bit larger than the previous generation. The Lexus NX has premium features in a smaller package, though not as luxurious as an RX which is the same size range as an Edge. The RDX is smaller and with premium features, but unlike the previous generation that had SH-AWD from the MDX, the current one is more closely related to a CR-V in terms of handling. An Audi Q3 can be equipped with some features from the larger SUVs, for just under $40k MSRP.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-02-2015, 07:55 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,602,240 times
The Leaf and Prius have some amenities, but if that isn't sufficient then it seems like a "luxury" brand would be the way to go.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:52 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times
I think the GLC looks promising.

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/futur...w_2016_GLC_SUV

Old 12-02-2015, 09:01 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,084,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
The Leaf and Prius have some amenities, but if that isn't sufficient then it seems like a "luxury" brand would be the way to go.
the luxury twin for the Prius is the Lexus CT 200h. Personally, I was disappointed with the CT200h

Old 12-02-2015, 03:41 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolli30 View Post
Why is it that smaller cars don't come with all the bells and whistles and options offered for the bigger models? I wish the manufacturers realized that not everyone wants to drive a big car or SUV, but some people would like to have the same package options.

Like for example the Ford Escape vs the Ford Edge.

The Edge offers capacitive touch controls, while the Escape doesn't. The Edge also has more upscale materials inside. Plus the Edge offers all manner of collision warning controls, adaptive cruise control, etc. while Escape does not.

I want all the interior features and options of an Edge, but in an Escape body size. I would pay the Edge price for an Escape body as well!!!!!!!!!

This is just one example, but I see this across all brands.
The difference, as I see it, between the Escape and Edge are that: Escape is for a more utilitarian purpose (dogs, camping, tooling around town, takng the little leaguers to games, etc.), while the Edge is for commuting to work while listening to the radio, traveling to see grandma, tooling around town, takng the daughter to ballet practice.

The Escape is an SUV. The Edge is a crossover between a sedan and SUV.

I had a Subaru Forester for years. I could not care less that it didn't have capacitative touch controls (whatever that is), upscale materials, cruise control (I never use cruise control), etc.

In fact, I have a Honda Fit that has some techie stuff. Pedals on the steering wheel for additional shifting capability, controls on the steering wheel, cruise control, etc. I never use any of that stuff and think most of it is silly stuff that most won't use. IT JUST ADDS TO THE COST OF THE VEHICLE WHILE NOT SIGNIFICANTLY INCREASING THE VALUE OR THE COMFORT OR THE ABILITY TO TRAVEL AROUND ECONOMICALLY WITH GOOD MUSIC. I do like great speakers, though. The Honda Fit has six high quality speakers. Nice.

Old 12-02-2015, 04:08 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,590,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I totally get why the big car is not desirable. It wastes more gas. It's harder to park. Its more to clean. I'm OP doesn't need the extra room, which obviously he doesn't, the big car is a waste of space and annoying.
Oh yeah it's so hard to park my tahoe, it's so hard to clean, it's such a waste of space and soooo annoying

I probably saw you today at home depot trying to load lumber in your Prius with 4 feet of wood sticking out of the side window.

Why go with a small car if you are the only one driving it? "it's such a waste, it's more to clean" Get a motorcycle.

Old 12-02-2015, 06:36 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,092,208 times
You want a small car with big var amenities and materials? Got it right here (but you had to have been a current or previous Aston Martin owner to buy it new):

Luxury car features and leather/suede and custom done materials over every surface.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:50 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times
I just about fell off my chair when I read this:

"The Honda Fit has six high quality speakers."

I just looked this up on the Honda website.

"180-Watt AM / FM / CD Audio System with 6 Speakers"

What exactly screams "quality" about that description????? Is it a Bose system? Harmon Kardon? Meridian?
Does it have an equalizer? Amp? Surround sound? RMS for each speaker?

180 watts for a car system is pretty pathetic. that is less power than what I have on my office desk.

I think your (and Honda's) definition of "high quality speakers" may be outdated.

Old 12-04-2015, 11:31 AM

4,556 posts, read 3,754,316 times
Check out the 2016 Honda Civic Touring like others said - so many features even I was surprised. When you sit in one, the materials quality has definitely been upgraded and no hard plastics.

If you want another "upscale" one, you can wait for the Acura ILX to be updated - should be good since they have to 1-up the 2016 Civic now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive