Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2016, 10:24 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,765,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Look at the post I replied to - it seems "depreciation" is used a reason to lease. How else could this make sense if the poster didn't believe, incorrectly, that leasing somehow allows you to "escape" the consequences of the vehicle going down in value?
What I said was:

"they understand the value of limiting their exposure on a depreciating asset"

Which is exactly what leasing does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 10:50 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
What I said was:

I don't think that she gets that we have a full understanding on how leasing works!

Old 01-14-2016, 11:27 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
ANYONE that thinks they are "making money" buying a new car is CRAZY!

Car dealerships cover their overhead, their rent, their payroll and their equipment and buildings based on the money they collect!

You're not "making money" buying a new car, but dealerships make most of their retail money selling used cars.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:29 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
What I said was:

Why does it matter how much is "exposed" to a depreciating asset if you are paying for that depreciation one way or the other? What you should really be concerned with is the net present value of the decision, not the "exposure".

Old 01-14-2016, 11:31 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Why does it matter how much is "exposed" to a depreciating asset if you are paying for that depreciation one way or the other? What you should really be concerned with is the net present value of the decision, not the "exposure".
Because one way, all your money is tied up in it, and the other way, you're only 'exposed' to the actual depreciation that someone is predicting (and will have to suck up if they're wrong).

Old 01-14-2016, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
I don't think that she gets that we have a full understanding on how leasing works!
Uh, no. If you are paying the depreciation one way or the other, it's no more relevant than your electric bill, at least from an NPV perspective.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Because one way, all your money is tied up in it, and the other way, you're only 'exposed' to the actual depreciation that someone is predicting (and will have to suck up if they're wrong).
Ok, so now we aren't talking about the expected loss in value, but the uncertainty. Fair point, however, what is actually relevant here is not the depreciation per se, but rather the "insurance" factor on the value that is implicit in the lease. The same argument could be made about renting vs. owning a house, as its future value is unknown, even though generally real estate is not a depreciating asset. The fact that we expect the vehicle to lose value is, logically, neither necessary nor sufficient to the argument. Expected value and uncertainty are not the same thing.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:35 AM

639 posts, read 579,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
Anyone who buys a brand new car is not very financially savvy, whether they finance it or not. And I agree with the OP. I would never finance a depreciating asset.
Yea, I've never seen a financial advisor in a new car, or any very rich who do very well financially. Great point.

Last edited by Northeaster; 01-14-2016 at 11:50 AM..

Old 01-14-2016, 11:46 AM

639 posts, read 579,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
A couple people are always, interminably, talking about the dangers of "depreciation" when you buy a new car.

This is a bogus argument, in my opinion and likely many others, unless you're flipping cars every couple years. Depreciation pretty much evens out at about year 4-5 and after that is not an issue.

I have a 2002 Taurus bought new that has 250K on the odometer. The car is worn out although it still runs and I'm probably going to send it to the recycler in the next few weeks. How much has that supposed depreciation from buying it new impacted me?
Right, I bought a new yaris when I was doing 750mi a week. paid $14,800 sold it 6years later for $8,000.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:05 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times
Also, some people don't care about paying a little extra over the term of a 60 month loan so long as they can keep their cash on hand. A few k over the span of 5-6yrs is really nothing. Not everyone lives their lives to bank every cent. There are people believe it or not who actually make enough money to go the extra mile and splurge every once in a while!

I lease a brand new car every 3yrs and take about 4 vacations a year. I dine out with the wife every friday night. Do I need to? No but its something I enjoy doing. It's not effecting my savings or retirement fund so why not? I have no children (nor do I plan on having any). If I did, the money that I'm spending on things that I actually enjoy would have gone towards raising a child.

Life is short. Do what makes you happy so long as you're financially responsible about it. I have no intention of working myself to the bone just to save money until death. That's for people who are merely on this earth existing rather than actually living life! To each their own I guess.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive