Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 08:04 AM

639 posts, read 579,747 times

Advertisements

Exactly, I don't think I've ever even known anyone who had a car repo'd. I'm sure there out there. Many people who finance can pay cash but make a higher % on there investments, I can't do this again, please don't pull me back in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 08:08 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,007,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAct41 View Post
Yep, already saw your (locked) post on CreditBoards
I believe that. Four posts and a big long rant.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:39 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinero View Post
Cash is king. Payments are for chumps and the ignorant.
Stopped reading when the post got ignorant.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:07 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,224,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Best way to purchase a vehicle, is to drive off the lot with a 5K check from the dealer and no payments.

When I was living in UT, I purchased my H3 after lease in 2010. In 2012, I purchased a 2013 Loaded Silverado LTZ for cash, and kept the H3 (for offroading).

A few years later, moved to ID. Took both vehicles to the local chevy dealer for appraisals, and ended up trading in the 2013 Silverado and the 2008 H3 for a 2015 loaded Silverado LTZ and drove off the lot with a 5K check. And no taxes, since ID only taxes difference between trade in and purchase, and if trade in is more, you pay NO sales tax.
So let me get this straight; you racked up ~$100k in bills over the course of 7 years, end up with only 1 vehicle and yet feel satisified with a $5k check? I wouldn't be boasting about this.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:59 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Did you get denied financing on a car?!?! Or had a car repo'd?
My thoughts exactly!

Old 01-10-2016, 10:09 AM

8,694 posts, read 11,084,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Listen to Dave Ramsey, etc.

If the new car for sale has 0% interest for a loan then you are actually losing money if you pay cash.
And what about bank fee? It's never truly free finance

Old 01-10-2016, 10:37 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times
Good for you. Go blow your lump sum of cash on a depreciating appliance. I'll stick to very low or 0% apr while my cash makes me more cash in the process!

Old 01-10-2016, 10:40 AM

639 posts, read 579,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
What bank fee? never paid one never will.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:44 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
What are you talking about?

Who pays a "bank fee" on a car loan?

Old 01-10-2016, 10:53 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeaster View Post
What bank fee? never paid one never will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
What are you talking about?

Who pays a "bank fee" on a car loan?
Bank fee's mainly apply to leases. Its not something that the salesman charges but instead the lending institution who finances your lease.

What is a Car Acquisiton Fee? | Autobytel.com

When leasing a new car you must remember that even if you have $0 down payment, you still have to come up with a certain amount of upfront money thanks to things like the acquisition fee, delivery, tax, title and still more depending on how your bank or the leasing arm of an automaker operates.

Sometimes a car acquisition fee is also referred to as a “bank fee” or an “administrative fee” but all of those terms mean the same thing. You are being charged essentially for the work your lender has to put into setting up your lease agreement. Dealerships usually do not make any money off of this fee so a car acquisition fee is usually a non-negotiable part of the price that you will be paying when you sign the lease.

Yep, a car acquisition fee may seem as inevitable as death and taxes but there are ways to not get taken to the cleaners with this charge. Different automakers and lenders charge different rates and sometimes if you find a suspiciously high rate that could your dealer may be getting a kickback of that cost from the lender in exchange for more business. So always be sure to figure out who you are getting your money from first, even when you are leasing.

On average, car acquisition fees range anywhere from $395 to $995 but can be higher than that in states like New York, which has its own unique car leasing laws and regulations. The car acquisition fee can be hidden in the leasing contract as part of the gross capitalized cost which includes the entire amount of money you owe during the term of the lease and remember that there are interest charges associated with that amount even in a lease.

A smarter course of action, if you can afford it, is to ask your lender or dealer to separate the car acquisition fee from the lease agreement entirely and pay for it upfront vehicle so you can avoid paying even more in leasing costs over the course of the contract. A car acquisition fee is just a fact of life when it comes to leasing but if you play your cards right you can make sure that car acquisition fees don’t get the best of your money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive