Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2017, 03:22 PM

22 posts, read 23,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Men are not men anymore news at 11
Many have figured there is no point when the women are becoming so manly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 08:29 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
If trained monkeys can do it, then why doesn't Jiffy Lube hire some of them?
Hold on- let's not jump to conclusions. Have you SEEN some of the guys who work for Jiffylube and the like?
Pretty sure there's a complete extra SET of chromosomes in every shop.

What's sad is that supposedly-male-Americans... whose forebears hunted mammoths, forged weapons, conquered continents and split the atom... leave their vehicle's reliability (and costs) to said genetic rolls of the dice.

If people want to hire MEN to take responsibility where they refuse to do so... that's their business. But the results are predictable- and this forum is full of all that sadness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResearchAgenda21 View Post
Many have figured there is no point when the women are becoming so manly.
Please elaborate

Old 12-06-2017, 02:24 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Hold on- let's not jump to conclusions. Have you SEEN some of the guys who work for Jiffylube and the like?
Pretty sure there's a complete extra SET of chromosomes in every shop.

What's sad is that supposedly-male-Americans... whose forebears hunted mammoths, forged weapons, conquered continents and split the atom... leave their vehicle's reliability (and costs) to said genetic rolls of the dice.

If people want to hire MEN to take responsibility where they refuse to do so... that's their business. But the results are predictable- and this forum is full of all that sadness.

Please elaborate
Its just an oil change. That’s like saying mowing the yard can only be done by an experienced, well educated professional. Being able to do it yourself doesn’t win any manliness points.

Old 12-06-2017, 05:17 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Its just an oil change. That’s like saying mowing the yard can only be done by an experienced, well educated professional. Being able to do it yourself doesn’t win any manliness points.
"Able" isn't really the appropriate word here. Even women are 'able' to change the oil in a car... well at least in theory I think they are. Never actually seen that happen.

'Willing' is more to the point. Sure it's cheap and easy to hire a MAN to take care of your vehicle. Of course, you don't *really* know what kind of oil he put in. You don't know if he replaced the filter- might have just wiped off the old one. You don't know if he took your car for a joyride and did a few neutral-drops for laughs. Or started the engine up and ran it for a minute before realizing he hadn't put oil in it yet. You don't know if he tightened the drain plug! But if he didn't... you'll find out soon enough

Don't worry- you can always go back and nag him if he didn't do the job right. Tell him you need to re-evaluate this relationship. Maybe call your sister and complain

Old 12-06-2017, 05:25 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
"Able" isn't really the appropriate word here. Even women are 'able' to change the oil in a car... well at least in theory I think they are. Never actually seen that happen.

'Willing' is more to the point. Sure it's cheap and easy to hire a MAN to take care of your vehicle. Of course, you don't *really* know what kind of oil he put in. You don't know if he replaced the filter- might have just wiped off the old one. You don't know if he took your car for a joyride and did a few neutral-drops for laughs. Or started the engine up and ran it for a minute before realizing he hadn't put oil in it yet. You don't know if he tightened the drain plug! But if he didn't... you'll find out soon enough

Don't worry- you can always go back and nag him if he didn't do the job right. Tell him you need to re-evaluate this relationship. Maybe call your sister and complain
Actually I did have a fouled gasket that leaked oil all over my engine. They fixed it immediately and gave me the next two oil changes for free. After 100k mikes, I sold it and bought another ride. You’re far more at risk handing some teenager your credit card at a restaurant than losing sleep over what quality oil they used and who’s joy riding in your minivan. There are far bigger things to worry about than this trivial nonsense. You’ll understand when you become an adult.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:34 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
Quote:
I see an awful lot of excuses here. And that's to be expected... people make plenty of excuses to keep their shiny status-symbols.

I didn't say everybody should be able to tear down a transmission (though I've done it several times and it isn't nearly as hard as people make it out to be). I'm just saying that it wasn't THAT long ago here in America that it was *common* for men to do all kinds of mechanical repairs on their vehicles. And that was without all the readily available information we have today. Odds are good that your father and grandfather did plenty of repairs on their own vehicles. Are ya'll not the men your fathers were??

There's no reason other than pride that your average person couldn't do moderate repairs like brakes, radiators, alternators, starters, etc. Have ya'll ever known people to work at places like Meineke? Lemme tell you... these are NOT the cream of the crop. And yet they do moderate repairs all the time. Lots of people of merely average intelligence can do the same... just as safely and effectively.

If ya'll are all making six figures per year- then good for you. This doesn't apply to you because you can afford the luxury of a nice vehicle. But your *average* American has a household income of $52k per year- mired in debt from student loans, credit cards, mortgages, medical bills, etc. I know everybody has different priorities and such... but it's hard to be sympathetic when said average American is paying HUNDREDS of dollars a month on payments for a shiny status symbol.

Man up and pay the bills. You're not too good to get your hands dirty.
I agree!!!

I am 54 and do the repairs to my BMWs:

Oil changes
Spark plugs
Coils
Brakes
Struts
Bulbs
Air filters
Serpentine belt
Battery

I have saved THOUSANDS over the years in labor paid to mechanics.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:43 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
I agree!!!

I am 54 and do the repairs to my BMWs:

Oil changes
Spark plugs
Coils
Brakes
Struts
Bulbs
Air filters
Serpentine belt
Battery

I have saved THOUSANDS over the years in labor paid to mechanics.
Not only that, but you were much more careful about doing the job right than some grease monkey under pressure to do it as quickly as possible.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:17 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,942 times
Lots of dinosaurs on this thread.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:28 PM

10,558 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
that's not what personal responsibility is in this case. In regards to this topic personal responsibility is not neglecting your car when it needs something done, whether it means fixing it yourself or doing your research and finding a reputable shop to work on it. To say someone is irresponsible simply because they dont work on their car is an incredibly stupid statement.
Well said.

It's also silly that he keeps capping "MAN", as if a male not willing to do his own wrenching is a sissy.
BTW, there are some WOMEN out there who have superior skills in this department than you, Turkey head.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:45 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Well said.

It's also silly that he keeps capping "MAN", as if a male not willing to do his own wrenching is a sissy.
BTW, there are some WOMEN out there who have superior skills in this department than you, Turkey head.
You got that right. Come up to Alaska and I can personally introduce you to a bunch of women that can out repair most anything the OP can do - commercial and private aircraft, commercial fishing boats, heavy equipment, hydraulics, pipelines, electronics, etc.

Changing the oil in a truck isn't rocket science. Debugging a diesel engine on a rough day of commercial fishing is quite another.

Like I said - lots of dinosaurs on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive