Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 10:09 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,637,377 times

Advertisements

I don't understand the affinity of males in the US for pick up trucks. They are great if you live in rural areas, need to tow, or are in a construction type business, but it seems like a significant number of middle-class suburban American men have this dream of owning one, which I don't get. They're not all that fuel efficient, the ride isnt nearly as comfortable as a sedan or SUV, and they aren't fun to drive.

I've driven my father's F350 a few times which he uses to tow a 5th wheel travel trailer, and I just feel like I'm driving a boat. Feel totally disconnected from the road and have to be more careful maneuvering in parking lots.

My roommate is getting a 2017 Honda Ridgeline -- We live in the suburbs, he works 15 miles away, also in the suburbs, and the largest thing he's put in his CUV is his bike. I just totally don't get it.

Sports cars, I get. They're fast and fun to drive, even if not practical. But trucks? I can't see any advantage for a normal suburbanite to owning one outside of the random isolated time you need to pick up that oversized Ikea dresser or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 10:23 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
well then dont buy a truck for yourself. no big deal. some of us like trucks others dont. i happen to like them, but then i learned to drive in a pick up.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:36 PM

What do you actually like about them though? They're not cheap, they don't handle that well, they aren't fuel efficient, they aren't agile, etc etc etc. Outside of towing and frequent hauling of things that wouldn't fit in an CUV/SUV, I don't get the love for suburban Americans.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:40 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Another one? People keep starting the pick up thread.

*Pick up firewood.

*Pick up topsoil or mulch.

*Pick up trees and shrubs to plant in the yard.

*Take stuff to transfer station--recyclables and electronics.

*Help your friends move. Way too much of that going on.

Any further questions?

Old 02-07-2016, 10:49 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
What do you actually like about them though? They're not cheap, they don't handle that well, they aren't fuel efficient, they aren't agile, etc etc etc. Outside of towing and frequent hauling of things that wouldn't fit in an CUV/SUV, I don't get the love for suburban Americans.
A truck will do everything your sports car can't. And it will still get me from point A to point B. I don't get why people put loud exhausts on cars.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:53 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,160,074 times
Practical for hauling and moving things, look nice, safe, what others call driving a boat I call fun to drive. To each their own right?

Old 02-07-2016, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
A truck will do everything your sports car can't. And it will still get me from point A to point B. I don't get why people put loud exhausts on cars.
See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Another one? People keep starting the pick up thread.

*Pick up firewood.

*Pick up topsoil or mulch.

*Pick up trees and shrubs to plant in the yard.

*Take stuff to transfer station--recyclables and electronics.

*Help your friends move. Way too much of that going on.

Any further questions?
With the exception of the last point, pretty much any hatchback or CUV/SUV would also do the same, and have the storage space enclosed.

I did search and nothing on the first 4 pages came up, at least.

Old 02-07-2016, 11:05 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,079,180 times
The original post ww2 suburbs are getting old, people living in them often need a pickup to do maintenance and repairs on the house. The dream is getting rid of the truck, when you no longer need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
See below.

With the exception of the last point, pretty much any hatchback or CUV/SUV would also do the same, and have the storage space enclosed.

I did search and nothing on the first 4 pages came up, at least.

Doing heavy duty jobs with crossover is going to kill it pretty quick. Firewood, rocks, dirt and demolition debris are not the kind of things you want to push capacity with. Bare minimum you need a decent trailer to do the hauling.

Old 02-07-2016, 11:09 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
I just rent a pick up when I need one. Cheaper than paying the mileage penalty year round. Commuting with one seems rather expensive.

Old 02-07-2016, 11:21 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,770,332 times
A truck is just a nice thing to have... very handy for getting **** done. Personally I commute with an old sedan. It's cheap, comfortable, gets good mileage... I definitely prefer it over a truck for daily use. But I also have an old rusty truck. Most of the time it's just a spare vehicle. But I've hauled trash, landscaping supplies, building materials, rocks/dirt, car parts, towed cars, towed a bobcat, driven through a foot+ of snow. Took it hunting and hauled deer home, pulled out stumps and fence posts, used it to move across town. You just can't do this kind of stuff with a car. And a small SUV is gonna be pretty limited (you're not going to tow a car half way across the country with it like I did with my truck).

Not saying they're the best choice for a commuter vehicle... but this is why people like trucks. Because they're MEN and they want to get things done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive