Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 07:30 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,727,358 times

Advertisements

telling me i should pay my taxes and fees up front

i told him to roll everything into the payment and he acted like people NEVER do that

weird
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 07:46 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,093,843 times
I've done that on all my leases. The dealers never flinched.

You should never put money down on a lease. You SHOULD for traditional financing, but not a lease.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:03 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,592,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
I've done that on all my leases. The dealers never flinched.

You should never put money down on a lease. You SHOULD for traditional financing, but not a lease.

I love those low monthly lease payments. Until I take the down payment they want and divide by 36 and add that into the monthly payment. That's when I see a lease is just as expensive as buying.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:16 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,708,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I love those low monthly lease payments. Until I take the down payment they want and divide by 36 and add that into the monthly payment. That's when I see a lease is just as expensive as buying.
My very experienced Tax Man / Accountant told me many years ago . . . "Leasing Is A Scam" that allows the "Financially Challenged" to drive more vehicle than they are able to afford.

Since that wise statement I have never leased a vehicle.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:19 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,038,292 times
I've never leased a car. It always seems to impractical in a state like Maine, where everything is far apart. A lot of the advertised lease rates are for mileage around 10,000 per year. I usually average about double (and some years triple) that! I guess if you had money to burn and just wanted a weekend cruiser, it would be feasible.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:21 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,093,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
My very experienced Tax Man / Accountant told me many years ago . . . "Leasing Is A Scam" that allows the "Financially Challenged" to drive more vehicle than they are able to afford.

Since that wise statement I have never leased a vehicle.

We use the leased vehicles in the business, and write it off on the taxes. And it keeps my wife in a newer car with the latest safety equipment and a low, fixed monthly expense that's easier to plan for than occasional large repairs that could take the daily driver down for extended periods of time.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:27 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,295,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
We use the leased vehicles in the business, and write it off on the taxes. And it keeps my wife in a newer car with the latest safety equipment and a low, fixed monthly expense that's easier to plan for than occasional large repairs that could take the daily driver down for extended periods of time.
For a business that can write off the payment instead of having to worry about accounting for a depreciating asset, leasing makes perfect sense. For the average person who doesn't have that tax advantage, it's not much, if any benefit.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:30 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,737,812 times
To many people, perpetual payments of $200/month is better than $500/month for 4 years. $500 sounds scary. $200 not so much.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:30 AM

772 posts, read 936,590 times
For high end cars, a significant down payment is usually required for a lease, because the depreciation costs need to be recouped by the dealer.

Jaguar and Porsche are pretty bad at this. To lease a Panamera for example, it's $1k per month for 30 months, and your down payment at signing is something like $6-8k. Rolling that into the lease payments would put the total well over $1k, if they would even agree to do it.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:47 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,765,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasCrown View Post
For high end cars, a significant down payment is usually required for a lease, because the depreciation costs need to be recouped by the dealer.

Jaguar and Porsche are pretty bad at this. To lease a Panamera for example, it's $1k per month for 30 months, and your down payment at signing is something like $6-8k. Rolling that into the lease payments would put the total well over $1k, if they would even agree to do it.
A down payment is not required to lease. It's required to get to the advertised lease rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive