Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 01:51 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,889,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
My very experienced Tax Man / Accountant told me many years ago . . . "Leasing Is A Scam" that allows the "Financially Challenged" to drive more vehicle than they are able to afford.

Since that wise statement I have never leased a vehicle.
This is true, unless you actually can afford a nice vehicle so easily that you don't care about the financial hit AND like the perks of having a newer vehicle with newer technology every few years.

Realistically, I had to own my car 8+ years before I break even with money I would've spent on a lease instead. Coincidentally, that's right now. And what do I have? An older car and the desire to buy newer. A lot of people buy/finance new cars every 5 years, so it doesn't even work out that much better for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 02:01 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,765,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
In a good year, I drive 18K. On a busy year, I drive 26-30. A lease would cost me a fortune! The dealership did the math when I bought my Durango and the lease was significantly higher than my payments. And I will also own my Durango in a couple years. If I leased it, I would owe them even more money and not have a vehicle. No thanks.
So I'm shocked to hear that leasing works for me and not for others. Shocked, I tell you.

A better question is why would you want to own a Durango with that many miles on it 3-5 years?

Old 02-18-2016, 02:06 PM

8,154 posts, read 3,680,515 times
Quote:
You're missing something huge.....at the end of the payments which you can pay off early and save money, you OWN the vehicle. It's yours! At the end of a lease, you own the paperwork that says you had a lease. You don't own a vehicle. You don't have a car. You have paperwork....Wahooo!!!
Yes, in the end of the loan term (or earlier) you would own it, because you paid for it in full. In a lease, you pay just for depreciation (well plus interest and such), of course you are not going to own the car in the end!

For people who always want to drive new (say each 3 years to be specific) lease (vs buy and sell after 3 years) often makes more sense. On many cars lease residuals are often inflated, so roughly speaking you would pay less than the real depreciation (which would be the amount of the loss in the buy and sell scenario). This becomes even more true on heavily optioned cars, since the options loose value more quickly than the base sort to speak.

Now, if you keep your car for a long time, that's a different story

Old 02-18-2016, 02:44 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,991,313 times
I leased a brand new car .. walked in 0 down. Top tier credit . Paid my first car payment that was it. Walked out.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:58 PM

19,442 posts, read 27,850,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I love those low monthly lease payments. Until I take the down payment they want and divide by 36 and add that into the monthly payment. That's when I see a lease is just as expensive as buying.
Why shouldn't it be? In fact, it's reasonable argument that leasing should be MORE expensive than purchasing because you're getting the flexibility of getting a new vehicle every 2-3 years, the advantage of never having a vehicle that is out of warranty, etc.

I've done both leasing and purchases. Depends on my personal needs and finances. One is not inherently superior to the other.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:53 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,256,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
And if you turn your lease in at the end of three years with 20,000 miles on it, will they reimburse you for the 16,000 miles you didn't use? I think I already know the answer to that one.
You might have equity in the car though if the residuals weren't jacked up and you are considerably under on mileage. You can sell the car for more than you owe on it.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:58 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,581,436 times
Quote:
You're missing something huge.....at the end of the payments which you can pay off early and save money, you OWN the vehicle. It's yours! At the end of a lease, you own the paperwork that says you had a lease. You don't own a vehicle. You don't have a car. You have paperwork....Wahooo!!!
Maybe nobody told u but at lease end you have the option to buy the car if you really like it and may even get a better deal on it if your residual is lower than the actual value. Sssshhhh don't let the secret out!

Old 02-18-2016, 05:59 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,260,346 times
Yeah you can avoid a lot of the pitfalls of leasing by selling it rather than turning it in and potentially get some cash out of it.

Get something with a high residual but that the market actually values even higher used like a Toyota RAV4 and leasing can make dollars and sense.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:14 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
So I'm shocked to hear that leasing works for me and not for others. Shocked, I tell you.

A better question is why would you want to own a Durango with that many miles on it 3-5 years?
Because I'm a weirdo who doesn't need a brand new vehicle every 3 years. It's just getting broken in at 3 years! Brace yourself....I've regularly driven vehicles 10+ years old. I drive them until the monthly repairs start becoming close to a car payment.

It's amazing how sarcasm just oozes out of you like sweat in a plumber's crack!

Old 02-18-2016, 06:16 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Maybe nobody told u but at lease end you have the option to buy the car if you really like it and may even get a better deal on it if your residual is lower than the actual value. Sssshhhh don't let the secret out!
Thanks Captain Obvious! What would the world do with Captain Obvious?

And who actually pays sticker when they purchase a vehicle? I never have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive