Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 12:48 PM

124 posts, read 173,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
My Jeep Wrangler is a year old. It looks more like it's five years old. The sides and top are totally pin striped from all the bushes on the trail. The windshield has a crack in it. The undercarraige is totally scraped up. The inside looks totally thrashed. I bought it to use it, not obsess over how it looks. I've had a blast driving it over all those old trails with my dog and my off road buddies.
Knowing that you were going to go out and absolutely trash your Jeep, why did you choose to purchase a new Jeep and not used? If I was going to use a vehicle to drive around on trails and beat up, it would not be something new.

My reference above about allowing my dog in a leased vehicle was under normal driving circumstances. Muddy paw prints and dog hair can be cleaned. A destroyed undercarriage and scratched paint will cost $$$. I would never consider trashing and destroying a new leased vehicle or you will definitely owe a chunk of money on it when it comes time end the lease. Your scenario is one where I would purchase used and not new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 12:55 PM

8,157 posts, read 3,680,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I did the math on my 10 year old SUV I bought in 2002.
It broke down to $20 a month more to lease a new one every 3 years.
In retrospect, I think I would have rather had the new truck every 3 years.

For that little difference, sure.
Well, unless you really like the car. I had a 325i for 13 years, 170k + miles, I just could not let go.

After the warranty, did you do repairs/maintenance at the dealer or independent, that could affect the math a lot.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:09 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,251,344 times
To me leasing makes sense for people who...
1. can stay well inside the mileage limits
2. like a new car every 2-3 years
3. Can easily make the perpetual payments.

Then what they get in return is not having to haggle over buying prices and trade in value. Just drive the lease in sign a couple papers and drive out the new lease. The problem is while everybody likes #2 too many people struggle with #1 and #3.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:52 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,996,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
To me leasing makes sense for people who...
1. can stay well inside the mileage limits
2. like a new car every 2-3 years
3. Can easily make the perpetual payments.

Then what they get in return is not having to haggle over buying prices and trade in value. Just drive the lease in sign a couple papers and drive out the new lease. The problem is while everybody likes #2 too many people struggle with #1 and #3.
Even on a lease you should haggle the trade in value and buying price. Dealerships LOVE people like you. You come in and just sign the dotted line. EVERYTHING when it comes to a car deal is negotiable.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:56 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
For that little difference, sure.
Well, unless you really like the car. I had a 325i for 13 years, 170k + miles, I just could not let go.

After the warranty, did you do repairs/maintenance at the dealer or independent, that could affect the math a lot.
It's my practice to price work and check out warranty at a couple different places before going.
Most of the work was done at a trusted mom-and-pop.
One time the dealership did better.

So really, it makes sense to buy a car with long-term reliability in mind (I just bought a 4Runner).

But I lease my daily driver (SL550).

Old 02-19-2016, 03:27 PM

30,261 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Maintenance on my leased car is free at the dealership, as it's part of the total care package that most new cars come with. And of course warranty work is free, as well. Ever pay for a timing chain repair on a used car out of warranty? That can cost upwards of $2k out of pocket and usually happens at the most inopportune time, leaving you without a car for a week or two even if you DIY.

And it's a POS that I wouldn't be caught dead in nor let my wife drive.

Again, a fixed, low cost (no more than a cell phone plan) is a good way to ensure that my wife is in the safest car possible with no out of pocket expenses for maintenance and repairs ever. And if it does need warranty work, she's in a loaner car for the duration so she's never out of a way to work.
Yes, as a matter of fact, I have. That's why I'm here reading this particular thread. I don't know much about leasing as I've never leased, have always bought used. So while I think some of the posters on here are rather funny with some of their posts, it's still an educational thread for some of us.

Old 02-19-2016, 03:40 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Dealers make no more money off a lease than they do a sale. You negotiate the price beforehand, just like any other sale. THEN you discuss lease terms (which are not underwritten by the dealership. They make no money off the lease). As you can see by the earlier link I posted, you can negotiate any part of the lease terms, just like loan terms. Money factor is the same as interest rate and you can get it down to under 1% if you are so inclined.

Dealers make 85% of their money on service, especially on warranty work. So how they sell the car (lease, cash, traditional financing through a bank) makes no goddamn difference to them.

You really have no idea what you're talking about and should probably not talk about it any more.

I consulted to dealerships on increasing profitability in variable operations. Do you know the difference between fixed and variable operations of a dealership? If you do not, then perhaps you will have no idea what you're talking about.

Old 02-19-2016, 03:41 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,765,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
Then what they get in return is not having to haggle over buying prices
I don't know what you do, but I negotiated the hell out of my latest lease.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:06 PM

124 posts, read 173,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
I don't know what you do, but I negotiated the hell out of my latest lease.
Agreed. You can negotiate the selling price of the vehicle just same whether you finance or lease. I think a lot of people assume that on a lease you cannot negotiate.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:20 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,765,622 times
More to that point, I saved about $125 a month from the original offer by negotiating. So anyone that just takes the first offer is bad at negotiating car deals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive