Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 02:04 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,424,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsportpilot View Post
not quite....

accord $199/mo $1999/dn

Honda Cars Offers & Leases Detail - Official Website

accord $250/mo $0/dn

Honda Cars Offers & Leases Detail - Official Website

(click on $0 down tab on left)

wanna buy instead? click that tab, they are offering 1.9% apr for 60 months
$23,840 x 60mos @ 1.9% = $416.82 a month!!!

you would have to get the new 2016 Accord for $14,300 in order to have a payment of $250.00 with $0 down (1.9% apr for 60 months)
They get you on mileage. Drive anything over 10K miles/yr, and you will be amazed on how quickly that $250/month translates into $500/month, all-in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 06:51 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,980,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
First thing salesmen are taught is to convert a buyer into payments.

After that, it is just a matter of lease/purchase discussion, extending the term to meet the buyers expectations or increasing the down payment.

It is amazing how many people have 84 month car payments. Crazy, but if it fills your boots, go for it.
I have a 39 month lease.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:29 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I have a 39 month lease.
Ah, you rent your car under restricted conditions. How do you like your forever payment plan?

I'm sure it works for you. I have not had a vehicle payment since my mid-20's, my son never has had one, nor has my daughter. Used works better that way. I've always taught my children not to make payments on depreciating assets; they are not investments. If you can't afford to pay in full, you can't afford it period is our family's mantra. Of course, houses are exceptions.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:32 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,765,622 times
Quote:
Ah, you rent your car under restricted conditions. How do you like your forever payment plan?

I'm sure it works for you. I have not had a vehicle payment since my mid-20's, my son never has had one, nor has my daughter. Used works better that way. I've always taught my children not to make payments on depreciating assets; they are not investments. If you can't afford to pay in full, you can't afford it period is our family's mantra. Of course, houses are exceptions.

I like how people throw out financial phrases they don't understand like "depreciating assets." If you truly understood finances, you'd realize that sinking a whole pile of cash into a depreciating asset is a terrible idea, and the better way to go is to put as little as possible into it. It's not a bad thing to make a payment - if the bank is willing to loan me money at a rate far lower than the return I can get, then I'd be stupid not to take them up on it.

I assure you I can afford my car, but why would I want to tie up tens of thousands of dollars in a car when I can instead make a relatively small monthly payment and use that cash on something else?

Old 02-20-2016, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
They get you on mileage. Drive anything over 10K miles/yr, and you will be amazed on how quickly that $250/month translates into $500/month, all-in.
Another erroneous statement / misconception. It doesn't double your payment to add more miles. In fact, it's very inexpensive to go to 12,000 or 15,000 miles per year.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:23 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,849,024 times
Quote:
It is amazing how many people have 84 month car payments. Crazy, but if it fills your boots, go for it.
Not that hard to find an 84 month note for 3.5% or less with good credit. In a cheap money era and given reliability of modern new cars, I don't find that kind of term to be too crazy for a buy-and-hold borrower. But then we went with a 72 month term on our new car because we wanted to keep the monthly payments low- had tried to keep the VW on the road until the primary mortgage is paid off in a little over 2 years, but it had hit a point of cascading entropy failure events and it wasn't worth putting any more money into it than we already had in repairs. Interest cost on the loan works out to a few Starbucks coffees a month.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:12 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
I like how people throw out financial phrases they don't understand like "depreciating assets." If you truly understood finances, you'd realize that sinking a whole pile of cash into a depreciating asset is a terrible idea, and the better way to go is to put as little as possible into it. It's not a bad thing to make a payment - if the bank is willing to loan me money at a rate far lower than the return I can get, then I'd be stupid not to take them up on it.

I assure you I can afford my car, but why would I want to tie up tens of thousands of dollars in a car when I can instead make a relatively small monthly payment and use that cash on something else?
I may well understand financial terms much better than you suspect. Go do a FV versus PV analysis, considering you are dealing with after tax dollars, paying a higher cost base, factor in the required maintenance checks to maintain the warranty, which can cost more than I spend a year on maintenance, and then tell me the results. Do you assess the approximately 20-30% depreciation the moment you drive it of the lot? That depreciation is also after tax dollars. Now take your sunk costs (because that is what they are) and take the difference of those I may incur over a 30-40 year life span, and then take a look at what that means in retirement. Used always wins, no matter what fiscal justification you may attempt to make.

By a significant margin. I'd rather buy another rental property than drive new vehicles.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:14 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,079,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
I've never leased a car. It always seems to impractical in a state like Maine, where everything is far apart. A lot of the advertised lease rates are for mileage around 10,000 per year. I usually average about double (and some years triple) that! I guess if you had money to burn and just wanted a weekend cruiser, it would be feasible.
I don't lease for the opposite reason. 10,000 miles a year is a lot of driving, way more than I'm likely to do on a single vehicle. I don't want to have to drive a particular vehicle just to use the miles I already paid for. If manufacturer lease programs offered 5,000 miles a year at a decent price, that could work. 10K/yr for 3 years is 30,000 miles. You may as well fly if you're driving that much.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:57 AM

Quote:
I may well understand financial terms much better than you suspect. Go do a FV versus PV analysis, considering you are dealing with after tax dollars, paying a higher cost base, factor in the required maintenance checks to maintain the warranty, which can cost more than I spend a year on maintenance, and then tell me the results. Do you assess the approximately 20-30% depreciation the moment you drive it of the lot? That depreciation is also after tax dollars. Now take your sunk costs (because that is what they are) and take the difference of those I may incur over a 30-40 year life span, and then take a look at what that means in retirement. Used always wins, no matter what fiscal justification you may attempt to make.

By a significant margin. I'd rather buy another rental property than drive new vehicles.

Required maintenance checks? What are you babbling about? And I lease, so I don't care about depreciation. Artificially inflated residuals take care of that.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
I don't lease for the opposite reason. 10,000 miles a year is a lot of driving, way more than I'm likely to do on a single vehicle. I don't want to have to drive a particular vehicle just to use the miles I already paid for. If manufacturer lease programs offered 5,000 miles a year at a decent price, that could work. 10K/yr for 3 years is 30,000 miles. You may as well fly if you're driving that much.
Miles are always negotiable. You can get less miles and pay less.

And most people do 12,000 to 15,000 miles a year. Should I be flying from home to work every day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive