Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 11:52 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,930,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
You can have living experiences AND be a car guy, you know. One doesn't preclude the other. I'm a car guy, have had many cars (over 130 in the last 38 years), none of which were "just transportation" (and a few of them were new cars, including *gasp* leased ones...) and I've been to the Caribbean a few times, Scotland, Italy, go RVing once or twice a month, and have a fun, enjoyable life.

I was responding to THIS statement:

And I feel sorry for those people. (with a smiley after it to say that I'm at least partially joking).

I grew up below the poverty line, worked hard to get where I'm at and am not "lucky" nor did I have anything handed to me.
As the saying goes, whatever floats your boat.

I'm too frugal to buy a new car; it makes no economical sense at all too me. I've always driven nice vehicles, but new? I leave that for people like you... after all, if you don't buy a nice new one, how can I drive a nice used one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 12:17 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,038,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
Good for you.

It's your money, and if that makes you happy then rock on with it. On the other hand, cars are nothing but transportation to some people..
Quote:
And I feel sad for those people.

Why?

I'm one of those people, and I'll say it again.. Cars mean absolutely nothing to me other than a way to get from point A to B. I have a 2001 Nissan that is 100% paid for, it is absolutely reliable, has several good years left in it and I'm saving a lot of money by hanging on to it. Win-win situation.

I don't feel sad at all, so why should you.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:25 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,306,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
I have never owned a new vehicle, actually none of my friends have either. Pretty much that is a rich mans thing. Most of my friends only make around 400k to 750K a year. I would guess if you made take home of one million or more you could afford it.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:59 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,359,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafood Junky View Post
I have always bought slightly used cars (1-3 years old) from dealers as my daily driver...

Now driving my first "new" car, 2005 Magnum RT which I love. Yea I tend to hang onto my vehicles. Has worked out well for me.
We had a friend that bought one of those station wagons and the wife was upset when my wife said, "So you bought a station waggon?" His wife said it was not a station wagon, but a Magnum RT hot rod. LOL. We saw it for what it was.

Old 02-25-2016, 01:01 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,359,422 times
My next new car. This is a frame off restoration with a 350 Chevy crate engine installed. It is sitting here in a local collection and I want to place it in my garage. Yes it is for sale and the price is not too bad.

Old 02-25-2016, 01:56 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,094,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
Why?

I'm one of those people, and I'll say it again.. Cars mean absolutely nothing to me other than a way to get from point A to B. I have a 2001 Nissan that is 100% paid for, it is absolutely reliable, has several good years left in it and I'm saving a lot of money by hanging on to it. Win-win situation.

I don't feel sad at all, so why should you.

Because you're missing out on most of the automotive experience. As a car enthusiast, we have nothing in common. Choosing a boring car says a lot about how you view the world in general. if you think of a car as an A to B appliance, it means that you don't care about the journey itself. As I said, I have a full, fun life and I find being the cheapest cheapskate on the block to be a miserable, boring goal. The journey is more important than the end goal, and I want to enjoy the journey, be it in a car or life in general.

Hey, if you want to be boring, that's fine. I just feel sad for people that choose that path in life.

There's nothing like a sports car or sport sedan on a twisty backroad where the destination is not important, only the road:

And then there's cars as art, both cheap and expensive...

That last couple were mine, BTW...

I look at this road and all I can think of is wanting to drive on it. I don't care where it goes or where it starts, The trip is all that matters:

And I want a car that is suited to those roads, that is a willing dance partner, with feedback and control and agility. So even if I have to drive a sedan, I drive a sport sedan that loves roads like that:

Even if the route I have to drive is boring, the car itself never is.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:07 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,758,164 times
Since I was 30 (some 40 years ago) I have never bought a used vehicle. I always buy new and keep for about 8 years.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:36 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
I have never owned a new vehicle, actually none of my friends have either. Pretty much that is a rich mans thing. Most of my friends only make around 400k to 750K a year. I would guess if you made take home of one million or more you could afford it.
that's an unusual way to look at it. buying new isn't just for the rich, but the thinking man. if you can't pay cash, have a hefty down payment and a low interest loan. pay off the loan ahead of schedule if you can manage it. if you do your homework and buy the right car, you can enjoy years and years of driving a well maintained, trouble free vehicle.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:51 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,038,519 times
Quote:
Because you're missing out on most of the automotive experience.

Lol I'm supposed to care about the automotive "experience?" Why?

Quote:
As a car enthusiast, we have nothing in common.

Yeah, so?

Quote:
Choosing a boring car says a lot about how you view the world in general

Hey, if you want to be boring, that's fine. I just feel sad for people that choose that path in life.

You're completely missing the point lol... Some people don't need an appliance to validate their self worth. A car does not - nor will it ever make me boring, or exciting. It's a car - an inanimate object. No more and no less "exciting" than the laptop computer that I'm typing this on.

Also lol at this discussion. Someone asks who has never owned a new vehicle and all the car people swarm in to justify why THEY buy them lol.

Old 02-25-2016, 03:11 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,159,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
that's an unusual way to look at it. buying new isn't just for the rich, but the thinking man. if you can't pay cash, have a hefty down payment and a low interest loan. pay off the loan ahead of schedule if you can manage it. if you do your homework and buy the right car, you can enjoy years and years of driving a well maintained, trouble free vehicle.
Owning a car is a luxury on its own.

And last two cars I bought were decent cars. My Caddie I bought for only 27k cash with 5k miles. Owner I got it from paid 40K so it cost him 13K to drive 5k miles.

My 5 Series I paid 28 cash and owner paid 50k.

I no longer buy junkers but buy 1-3 year old cars direct from owner, cash still under factory warranty.

I have not sold a car in 30 years as they all get either totaled, flooded or stolen anyhow so could care less. But dont want to ride junk. I also once bought a Jeep with 4k miles and sticker on windshied as owner had a heart attack and dropped dead.

That new car small is throwing 10K in sewer in first five seconds of driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive