Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 04:25 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
Owning a car is a luxury on its own.

And last two cars I bought were decent cars. My Caddie I bought for only 27k cash with 5k miles. Owner I got it from paid 40K so it cost him 13K to drive 5k miles.

My 5 Series I paid 28 cash and owner paid 50k.

I no longer buy junkers but buy 1-3 year old cars direct from owner, cash still under factory warranty.

I have not sold a car in 30 years as they all get either totaled, flooded or stolen anyhow so could care less. But dont want to ride junk. I also once bought a Jeep with 4k miles and sticker on windshied as owner had a heart attack and dropped dead.

That new car small is throwing 10K in sewer in first five seconds of driving.
good. you know how to buy a decent vehicle and use it.

i almost lost a car to a flood (almost doesn't count), never had one stolen and one was totaled at 14 1/2 years. the one that was totaled was the one i bought new.

since my 20s, i've lived in places where a car was a requirement. if you don't need a car, it's a luxury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 05:57 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,930,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
that's an unusual way to look at it. buying new isn't just for the rich, but the thinking man. if you can't pay cash, have a hefty down payment and a low interest loan. pay off the loan ahead of schedule if you can manage it. if you do your homework and buy the right car, you can enjoy years and years of driving a well maintained, trouble free vehicle.
Or, have years of trouble free driving buying a used, well maintained, vehicle, pay cash, and have no payments. Has worked for me for over 40 years.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:41 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,857,927 times
I've owned hundreds of cars over the past 60 years and have only had two new ones in my life.......a 1966 GTO and a 1986 Mercury Cougar. All the rest have been used cars.

I hate car payments so I pay cash for a low mileage, very clean used car and keep it until it starts giving me problems or I get bored with it. Works great for me.

Don

Old 02-26-2016, 07:28 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,703,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Because you're missing out on most of the automotive experience. As a car enthusiast, we have nothing in common. Choosing a boring car says a lot about how you view the world in general. if you think of a car as an A to B appliance, it means that you don't care about the journey itself. As I said, I have a full, fun life and I find being the cheapest cheapskate on the block to be a miserable, boring goal. The journey is more important than the end goal, and I want to enjoy the journey, be it in a car or life in general.

Hey, if you want to be boring, that's fine. I just feel sad for people that choose that path in life.

There's nothing like a sports car or sport sedan on a twisty backroad where the destination is not important, only the road:

And then there's cars as art, both cheap and expensive...

That last couple were mine, BTW...

I look at this road and all I can think of is wanting to drive on it. I don't care where it goes or where it starts, The trip is all that matters:

And I want a car that is suited to those roads, that is a willing dance partner, with feedback and control and agility. So even if I have to drive a sedan, I drive a sport sedan that loves roads like that:

Even if the route I have to drive is boring, the car itself never is.
No roads like that anywhere here. There is a few tiny roads with a bit of curves for about 2 tenths of a mile but they have a sharp drop off into a canal. I did drive on roads like that in the mountains between Tennessee and Virginia. Wish I had a better car then. At least it was a 5 speed manual.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:48 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,475,339 times
I wished I was one of those who had never owned brand new. I have learned a lot about what NOT to do when it comes to car buying, all through my own personal experience. I've learned that a brand spanking new vehicle feels so nice and smooth when you first get that car. The ride is so smooth and perfect, and you tend to drive much more safer (at least I do) in the beginning. But after about six months, it kind of just becomes another car to me. The only car I have ever owned that didn't fit that mold was my '06 Mustang GT. That car was fun to drive from the day I first got it to the day I traded it in. I loved that car for its retro styling, comfort, the sound of the engine, and the power. That is the one car I would love to own again someday if I'm ever that lucky.

But from now on, I'll probably stick to buying 1-3 years old or older, depending on the vehicle. Probably would have done the same when I traded in the Mustang, but I felt so much for that car that, at the time, I was not going to settle for anything less than top of the line, brand new. Now, my Accord is nice, but it isn't a thrilling ride. My next car won't be another Honda Accord.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:52 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times
I would say me... but I did buy one new car when I was working overseas...

Owned about 70 vehicles and still have 50... only one was new and that was in 2001...

Still looks new too!

I did the factory order with pickup at the factory... really a great experience.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:50 AM

102 posts, read 116,823 times
i've never owned a new vehicle. However that is likely to change during my current mid life crisis.

Sadly I should have bought the GTI when I was in my 20s, I'm already hitting euro sedan age.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:02 AM

40 posts, read 42,848 times
Have owned 10 new cars since age 17.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive