Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 05:53 PM

183 posts, read 270,548 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to learn about auto detailing as much as I can and it seems that there is no consistent information on how to do it.

Every single method is always criticized and considered wrong. They say automatic car washes are the worst for your paint job. They add a fresh coat of swirl marks on your paint. The brushes used to scrub your car are seldom cleaned. Even if they use synthetic brushes that by nature are resistant to holding dirt and particles. Even with this type of wash, if the workers at the end dry your car by hand then the point is moot. You didn’t think that over priced $12 wash included a clean towel for you did you? Having your car dried with a dirty towel is as bad as using a non-synthetic touch car wash.

Using a self-serve or touchless wash (basically the same thing, just ones automated) can still scratch your car. Many of these car washes actually use recycled water which doesn’t effectively remove all contaminants What does this mean? To save a few bucks on the overpriced wash you bought, the car wash is sandblasting your car when you wash it. Touchless car washes also use higher concentrations of soap which can strip your cars wax off more quickly.

You ask what is the perfect method, and they say, Hand washing. Living in an apartment building without access to outside water and the strict prohibition from washing in the parking lot anyway, Many people don't have a lot of choice of how their car gets washed. But thanks for assuming that because I have to take it somewhere that I don't know how to do it myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 06:08 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,261,536 times
Take it to a self serve car wash, and bucket wash it by hand.

I like using the 2 bucket system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVAxphcgKnY

Old 02-24-2016, 06:40 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,521,352 times
Is this really that deep? I use a mobile detail service that comes to my apt. early on the weekend.

Old 02-24-2016, 06:49 PM

183 posts, read 270,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Is this really that deep? I use a mobile detail service that comes to my apt. early on the weekend.
What do they use and how much it costs?

Old 02-24-2016, 08:13 PM

359 posts, read 361,991 times
take a bucket and go to the car wash bring plenty of quarters or go to a friends house and do it there

Old 02-24-2016, 08:21 PM

597 posts, read 668,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas taco View Post
take a bucket and go to the car wash bring plenty of quarters or go to a friends house and do it there
Some car washes actually forbid bucket washing. I guess they want you to pay more. Not that it always stops people.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:43 PM

998 posts, read 1,239,667 times
Many good detail shops (the ones that charge $100 - $500 to do it inside and outside total detail) will also do exterior hand washing / drying for a relatively reasonable price ... $25 - $50.

Definitely beats drive thru and the quickie wash places and if you don't have the ability to do your own hand washing it's an alternative.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:53 PM

3,704 posts, read 4,858,716 times
I have a well worn gravel driveway so needless to say washing my black truck does absolutely no good there, unless it is just to get beach salt off. So I usually go to the local car wash and use a bucket, mitt and my own long soft brush. There is a car wash near the house which is never busy so I never have any problems. If it was busy i'd time it to go later in the day and hope the boss man isn't around. Besides, if they give me a problem i would just mention that I don't want to use their dirty brush. I'm still using my quarters and the hose may still be running while I'm washing so it's not like I'm trying to sneak some extra time in anyways. And there is nobody waiting so no time is not being lost.

When I'm done that I pull away to someplace else in the parking lot and use my own chamois and chamois mop to dry it off.

Then I return home and kick up what's left of my gravel/dirt driveway only to fling the dirt all up the sides of my truck and make it dirty again. I hate that my truck is black!!!!!

Old 02-24-2016, 09:19 PM

22,666 posts, read 24,627,441 times
I just don't wash it, there!

Old 02-24-2016, 09:25 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,410,209 times
I just the dealership detail it.

They do free washes with service or if you just come by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive