Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 09:09 PM

741 posts, read 1,750,715 times

Advertisements

I have 2 kids (baby and toddler) and I am considering a buying bigger family vehicle (7 or 8 seater).
For me cost, long life, convenience and less headache in maintenance is more important than style, image etc.,
I am leaning towards Minivan instead of SUV considering initial cost and operation cost (gas price etc.,)
I am thinking Toyota Sienna or Honda Odyssey...
Please suggest which is a smarter buy ?
Minivan or SUV or other category in family vehicle
If Minivan which one would be good Toyota Sienna or Honda Odyssey or any other specific vehicle in this category?

Please advise....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 09:17 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,513,828 times
My buddy has a Honda and he loves it

Old 03-06-2016, 09:38 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,582,950 times
Also check out the Kia Sedona. Lots of technology.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:41 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,246,104 times
I could never understand why so many people buy 8 seater vehicles as soon as they have 1 child.

You have 2 children. what are the other 4 seats for?

I commend you for the realistic choice of minivan over SUV, but still think a sedan is more relevant.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:02 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,236,388 times
My parents raised my sister and I in 2 door coupes. But to be fair that was before they were mandating things like those huge rear facing car seats.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:26 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,791,647 times
Both the Toyota and Honda are like driving easy chairs, very comfortable.

They are pretty evenly matched, both in safety and specs, and if you don't care about looks just go for the one you get the better deal on.

I felt like the Toyotas second row seats moved back farther, and chose it for that reason.

As far as getting an eight seater as soon as you get one kid goes, well for me it was to put my kid in as good of a bubble as I could.

It was a fight between frugality and function. The compact cars we had were better for the environment and our pockets, not that minivans are rolling coal or are all that expensive, but mine is 30% less fuel efficient and will run me an extra $2,000/yr in total ownership costs. A cost of having children. But I minimized my losses by going with the base model (about 2/3's the cost of a fully loaded option, with all the features I needed).

45,000 depericating 60% in 5 years is a use of $27,000
30,000 depericating 60% in 5 years is a use of $18,000

So I "saved" $9,000 by going with the base model.

Not that I really care, nothing else matters besides keeping my kids safe, so if the $45,000 model was the only one with the new frame and upgraded brakes, good handling, and acceleration I'd go that route (all those inputs are useful in accident avoidance).

It's a parent thing. And the car industry knows it's got us.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:50 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,390,804 times
Both Honda and Toyota are very good choices for minivans, but if you need AWD for snow, then it's Toyota. One of my sisters-in-law had an Odyssey and moved into a Pilot because the Odyssey was a bit too large for her, though it was convenient with the sliding doors, especially for the dogs and children. Both are very comfortable, but the Honda has the edge in terms of road feel, whereas the Sienna is typical Toyota bland handling, which is something that seems to be part of their family sedan, minivan, and crossover lineup, not that it is bad, at all, just very boring to drive. I had a Toyota rental minivan a couple of weeks ago with over 35k on it and there were no squeaks or rattles present, pretty good in a rental car, as I have had Chrysler rentals that squeaked and rattled like there were bags of marbles everywhere with only 10-15k on them. I would cross-shop both and get what you like.

If you want a crossover, the Pilot and Highlander are also very good choices, and both have AWD systems for dealing with snow, if that's a consideration. If not, the FWD handle well and are more fuel efficient, with decent handling. The third row in both is a bit more cramped than in the van, with less ease of access, and cargo room can be a bit less as well, but they are smaller vehicles in length, though fuel economy can be similar to the vans.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-07-2016, 05:31 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,647,352 times
You don't need either an SUV or a minivan at this stage. Your kids are small and they will be small for a long time.

Think about how long you keep your cars. If it's ten years, project ten years to when your kids are 13 and 10. Will they still fit in the back seat of a family sedan, such as an Accord, Camry, or Elantra? Unquestionably yes. Then you can reasonably be looking for another car, your kids are getting close to high school with sports, friends, teams, the prospect of driving them to college, and more and bigger stuff to haul. That's the time you get a minivan.

Oh yes, and minivan it is. They are without a doubt more practical than an SUV.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:34 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,883,018 times
Make sure you wear a dress when driving that mini-van.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:48 AM

698 posts, read 959,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
I could never understand why so many people buy 8 seater vehicles as soon as they have 1 child.

You have 2 children. what are the other 4 seats for?

I commend you for the realistic choice of minivan over SUV, but still think a sedan is more relevant.
I agree, your kids are too little to consider spending money on an expensive mini van. However, I loved having a mini van when my kids got older, extra room for friends and long drives to visit family much more pleasant.

At this point though I'd go with a Subaru or Volvo wagon, my favorite is a Subaru. Very versatile with the extra room in the back for strollers, groceries etc. Seats down you can even transport a sheet of plywood.
Used, of course!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive