Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 11:22 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Missing the whole point. Unless you're a NASCAR driver you don't have the skill to follow that close and to hit the brakes in time if they did,
And if you are competent to be driving a vehicle, you know that part of your job as a driver is to take into account circumstances on the roads, including slower drivers, and adjust YOUR driving accordingly. If you think it's any reason at all to tailgate because someone else is driving slowly and that it's all THEIR fault, you've just exposed yourself as a less than adequate driver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 11:27 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Someone actually sent this to me in an email this morning. I just had to come share it here:

https://youtu.be/eSE3fkeHAmo

Old 03-14-2016, 11:28 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,529,163 times
I know what the unofficial rule is, but if someone is legally going at the speed limit or above, even if the left lane, technically, you don't have a right to ride their bumper. While some cops give tickets for impeding the flow of traffic, I've never have heard of a ticket being written for doing that, when the driver was driving at the speed limit or above.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:39 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I know what the unofficial rule is, but if someone is legally going at the speed limit or above, even if the left lane, technically, you don't have a right to ride their bumper. While some cops give tickets for impeding the flow of traffic, I've never have heard of a ticket being written for doing that, when the driver was driving at the speed limit or above.

Who's saying that a driver "has a right" to tailgate? What we ARE saying is that drivers don't belong in the left lane on a highway if they're not going the speed limit.

Clearly, you didn't bother looking at the video in the post above yours (which was also on GMA this morning). Watch the idiot tailgater approach the car in front of him and ride the bumper. Then watch the passive-aggressive idiot "brake check" the driver, who then went into the median. Notice, also, how quickly that driver put on his turn signal and got in the right lane where s/he belonged.

The actions of BOTH irresponsible drivers could have resulted in the injury or death of innocent drivers and passengers that day.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:56 AM

58 posts, read 135,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Do a lot of people in New Jersey drive that fast? 90+? I see that a lot on this forum. That's pretty odd since I always hear New Jersey has far too many speed traps and enforcement.
I've been commuting from Northern NJ to PA for a while along I-80 and I can tell you that almost nobody drives 90+ or even 80+ there. I mostly drive limit + 10 (so 75 as it is 65 on the majority of I-80 there) and often I've been the fastest moving vehicle over a prolonged period of time that nobody passes - most people seem to stick to 65-70. Maybe it's more of an issue closer to NYC, but even on GSP I rarely saw anyone heavily speeding.

Generally speaking, even here in PA I drive along I-81 every day and I very rarely see anyone doing more than 70-75 (it is 55 limit in the area here). Very-very rarely I see someone doing 90+ (maybe once in several days) and very often I see that car 5-10 miles ahead on a shoulder with shiny unmarked teal or silver Taurus behind it blinking all red and blue lights .

And I would totally agree to someone's comment on the very first page of this thread - I started driving when I lived in Moscow, Russia, one of the busiest city in the world in terms of traffic with very rude drivers around, and I can absolutely attest that driving in the US (except for maybe NYC and a few other places) is just a pure pleasure compared to some other places.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:03 PM

72 posts, read 71,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Do a lot of people in New Jersey drive that fast? 90+? I see that a lot on this forum. That's pretty odd since I always hear New Jersey has far too many speed traps and enforcement.
Yeah, it's actually so normalized here that I didn't think it was unheard of to go 90 mph on a highway until my friends from out of state pointed it out. I thought going 25 mph over the speed limit was "going with the flow" all over the United States, not just New Jersey

There's actually a difference in speed depending on what road you drive and when you drive on it. I-80 is much slower than the NJ Turnpike or Garden State Pkwy. And traffic will definitely be slower on weekday afternoons and Saturdays or near any major holiday. I think that noon on a weekday is the fastest traffic, but I'm not sure.

I was actually just on the NJ Turnpike to go to Philly this weekend and the left lane fluctuated between 80 and 95 mph like it usually does when I go on it.

Now, we should also note that going 95 mph only lasts for about 20 seconds. I'd say the average cruising speed is just a little over 80 mph but 85-95 is not unheard of or taboo... it's pretty common
I was going 95 and couldn't even keep up with the little Chrysler in front of me so I just moved over to the middle lane and let this young kid in a Scion pass. It's pretty normal stuff. It's not how everyone drives, but it's not unheard of either. In other words, you wouldn't see it every 10 seconds, but you wouldn't be shocked to see it.

I also feel like there aren't any speed cameras in NJ so the only way you can get caught is if a police officer pulls you over. I would say that I see at least 5 people getting a ticket on the side of the road in a week, so I guess that's a lot compared to places like Philadelphia where the cops don't seem to care about speed enforcement.

Last edited by ihatepeoplesomuch; 03-14-2016 at 12:13 PM..

Old 03-14-2016, 12:08 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
There are too many entitled drivers everywhere. We have entitled speedsters and lane hoggers.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:16 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,569,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It's everywhere, it's crazy dangerous, and it's because we have no standards for who we let drive.
Because more licensed drivers means more cars sold, more gas sold, more auto insurance sold...

Old 03-14-2016, 12:30 PM

899 posts, read 1,015,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
We have entitled speedsters
Pretty much THE ONLY other drivers who annoy me are these people

Old 03-14-2016, 01:42 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,093,054 times
I loved living in WA:

And yes, I saw people get tickets for holding up traffic, even at the speed limit.

It's pretty simple: stay right except to pass, and going .01 mph faster than the car you're passing doesn't count. Intentionally holding people up or "brake checking" them is as bad as intentionally breathing down their necks. You won't automatically die if you speed up a bit to get by whomever you are passing with safe room to move over afterward, and you won't die if you slow down a touch when approaching someone going slowly in the left lane to give them a chance to move over or at least plan a way around them that isn't driving erratically.

I'm constantly looking down the road a few miles if possible to plan my way through potential traffic at the least inconvenience to myself and those around me. That's how I've been able to drive a little more rapidly for almost 40 years without any accidents or even close calls. If someone is blocking the left lane, and I see that well in advance, I can gently move over and easily get by without them ever even knowing. And I usually see people coming up on me from behind a good distance back and can thus plan getting out of their way long before they get to me. it's really simple and allows a smooth flow of traffic.

But yeah, keep right except to pass. Basically, if there was no one TO tailgate, there's be no one doing the tailgating. Don't try to merely cure the symptoms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive