Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 06:55 AM

35,045 posts, read 16,987,357 times

Advertisements

Last night I was coming home from Scarsdale to Rye Brook. I eased into moderately heavy traffic on the Hutchinson Parkway. I picked up my phone to change the song. Not to my ear, mind you. I jockeyed to the left lane to avoid traffic heading for an exit about 1/2 mile away. I noticed I was about to pass a police car going exactly 55 mph so I slowed down to that speed. He slowed down to 50 mph so I passed him and moved into the right lane. He put his lights on.

I moved onto the shoulder. He said to keep moving to the next exit, which I did. When he approached my car window I asked "what's this for" and he said "you were texting, I saw it." I offered him to look at my phone to see if there were any recent texts. He declined. When he came back with the ticket he said "I had been holding the phone." The law in question states:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Vehicle and Traffic Law § 1225-d
§ 1225-d. Use of portable electronic devices. 1. Except as otherwise provided in this section, no person shall operate a motor vehicle while using any portable electronic device while such vehicle is in motion;

(b) "Using" shall mean holding a portable electronic device while viewing, taking or transmitting images, playing games, or, for the purpose of present or future communication: performing a command or request to access a world wide web page, composing, sending, reading, viewing, accessing, browsing, transmitting, saving or retrieving e-mail, text messages, instant messages, or other electronic data.
To me, this is outrageous. The officer is targeting law abiding citizens and lawful activity in order to show that he was actively doing his job. I don't think there are "quotas" but I do believe that officers are under pressure to generate activity. My inclination is to fight this one on the merits. Thoughts?

Old 03-20-2016, 07:28 AM

2,138 posts, read 3,589,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Last night I was coming home from Scarsdale to Rye Brook. I eased into moderately heavy traffic on the Hutchinson Parkway. I picked up my phone to change the song. Not to my ear, mind you. I jockeyed to the left lane to avoid traffic heading for an exit about 1/2 mile away. I noticed I was about to pass a police car going exactly 55 mph so I slowed down to that speed. He slowed down to 50 mph so I passed him and moved into the right lane. He put his lights on.

I moved onto the shoulder. He said to keep moving to the next exit, which I did. When he approached my car window I asked "what's this for" and he said "you were texting, I saw it." I offered him to look at my phone to see if there were any recent texts. He declined. When he came back with the ticket he said "I had been holding the phone." The law in question states:

To me, this is outrageous. The officer is targeting law abiding citizens and lawful activity in order to show that he was actively doing his job. I don't think there are "quotas" but I do believe that officers are under pressure to generate activity. My inclination is to fight this one on the merits. Thoughts?
You would have to remove your eyes from the road and use them to change the song. I think the ticket is justified.

Don in Austin

Old 03-20-2016, 07:33 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,246,725 times
I think the ticket is justified. The traffic in your area is terrible and the hutchinson pky is fairly narrow if I remember correctly. I'm pretty sure the conditions can change pretty quickly and distracted driving of ANY KIND is dangerous.

Taking your eyes off the road to change the song is not any different than texting "OK" to someone. Your attention is divided, and as a result your decision making ability is reduced.

That makes a ticket justified.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:33 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,519,030 times
Quote:

You were using the phone. What you were using it to do is inconsequential. It's use of a cell phone. Go fight it if you feel that strongly about it.

I control my phone with my stereo for music text or calls all with voice commands

Old 03-20-2016, 07:43 AM

4,944 posts, read 3,049,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
You would have to remove your eyes from the road and use them to change the song. I think the ticket is justified.

Don in Austin
Agree, I have never been endangered by a drunk driver.

But distracted cell phone drivers are a constant hazard I must avoid on a regular basis.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:51 AM

9,500 posts, read 4,337,574 times
Quote:

Your own description of your behavior indicates your were clearly in violation of the law (which you so helpfully posted). What is your issue with the officer's actions? You broke the law right in front of him.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:09 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,426,878 times
Quote:

You broke the law. Your opinion on the law doesn't matter. Suck it up and pay the ticket and learn the lesson. Changing the song meant taking your eyes off the road. What you did was dangerous, even if only for a split second.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:30 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,131,933 times
I agree with all of the others, the law is clear, and you broke it. We have that law here too, and it annoys me that so many people get away with breaking it,
you must have really bad luck to have been caught.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:30 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
As someone who himself does stuff on his phone and knows he shouldn't, I'd say the ticket is justified. Pay it and move on with your life.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:31 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,425,125 times
You won't get any sympathy from me. I don't want people like you fooling with their phone running into my car. Leave the damn phone alone and pay attention to your driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive