Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 08:57 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,402,897 times

Advertisements

I've had Altimas many times as rentals. They're not bad cars. Spacious, comfortably seats, downright quick with the V6. They're also a tremendous value. I can walk into my local Nissan store and walk out with $24k less in my pocket and a fully loaded (leather, nav, V6, sunroof, etc) Altima with all the bells and whistles. To load up a Camry like that is about $5-6k more.

Although if it were me personally, I go with the Camry because of the tremendous resale value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 10:47 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,946,819 times
Altima and Camry are the same platform, so it's a toss up.. Both could be dogs or both could be great....

Old 03-24-2016, 07:22 AM

386 posts, read 401,638 times
I am a long time Honda and Toyota owner and typically keep a vehicle 250k (Toyota) to 350k (Honda) miles. In 2008 I replaced my Toyota Tacoma with a Nissan Frontier. It currently has 93k miles and so far I have performed more repairs to that vehicle that any of the Toyota's or Honda's with twice the mileage. Based on my experiences and what I have read online, I do not believe the Nissan quality can match the other two. Good luck in whatever vehicle you choose.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:38 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,309,815 times
I like the Altima Coupe styling. A car that breaks out of the smae old same old mold... especially the rear end styling (doors, back)...

Old 03-24-2016, 08:47 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,158,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Altima and Camry are the same platform, so it's a toss up.. Both could be dogs or both could be great....
They're made by 2 different manufacturers, so not the same platform.

I wouldn't shop either one but given the choice, I would go with the Camry. It costs a little more for a reason.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:03 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,327,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I prefer the styling of the Altima over Camry. Also, Camry is such an appliance car. Altima looks more sporty. It also looks like there are better deals on the Altima. I must say I haven't driven either one. So, what do you think?
Unless you're a collector with a whole lot of money and the car is mainly meant for showcasing in car show contests, I think styling is not a particularly logical reason for choosing a car, especially if it's at the expense of reliability. (If the 2 cars in questions are equal in reliability then OK.) WHO CARES what a car looks like, it's not a woman in a bikini. What good is styling if the thing is in the shop all the time? Give me "boring" anytime if the thing will run. I can then spend my money on actually enjoying life, not keeping a lemon on the road because of sorry quality. I look at that as the car flat-out stealing my money away from me.

Then again, I just purchased a 1998 Toyota Camry for $900, so I'm not sure my "who cares what it looks like" view is going to be respected much in light of that.

Now, that being said, the other answers surprise me. That is, I've always heard of the Camry being a very reliable vehicle, that doesn't surprise me. I've always heard that about Hondas as well. HOWEVER, I did not realize Nissan had dropped off like this. I'd always heard of them being almost as reliable as Toyotas and Hondas, this truly surprises me.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:44 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,519,305 times
Like Altimas. I see far more Altimas than Camries around here that's for sure.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:55 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,317,558 times
Price is a factor too. It looks like the 2016 Altima 2.5 S, which is the middle grade, can be had for $19K. That's pretty good if true. If it creeps up to $23K or so then it is probably safer to go with a Camry. I am sure a test drive will change everything. It either clinches it or it'll be out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive