Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2016, 12:06 AM

24,513 posts, read 33,325,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Classic cars? I can't even stand the smell of unburnt gasoline...
I like the smell of burning rubber!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 12:22 AM

24,513 posts, read 33,325,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I really fail to see the appeal of most classic cars. Some of the styling is nice but the total absence of modern technology and safety features, combined with awful gas mileage, would steer me away from ever actually owning one.
Have you driven any classic cars? I have and I love the general feel they have. Hard to describe but classic car enthusiasts know what I'm talking about.

Quote:
As for those old 60s and 70s boats on wheels, I fail to see any redeeming qualities aside from maybe a trunk so large you can stuff an entire family of murder victims into it with room leftover for groceries.
Yes, the big trunk does come in handy. Also, big and comfortable seats, a wide interior (don't feel cramped), plenty of chrome and real metal, the torque of a big V-8 and the ability to easily burn rubber. I refer to them not as boats but as true full-sized luxury car. Certainly more enjoyable for me than a modern econobox or weird-looking blob-shaped car. Here is an example of enjoying a classic car ('74 Cadillac Coupe de Ville):

Quote:
I occasionally see people driving them around here, desperately trying to navigate narrow streets and sharp turns, often to the amusement and frustration of those around them.
How do people manage to drive the modern large and bulky SUVs and trucks? I have been driving my '76 Cadillac Limousine since 1999 on all kinds of roads, including mountain roads. Have not had any problem navigating. And, on the open road and surface streets, the big classic cars are ridiculously easy to drive.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:05 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,080,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I see quite a few people riding motorcycles. I would feel a lot safer in a classic car than on a motorcycle!

I don't know where you got the idea that you would be severely injured or dead in a low-speed accident. Completely inaccurate.
Ever hear of this ground-breaking book?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsafe_at_Any_Speed

Old 03-28-2016, 03:25 AM

45,434 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Whenever I see one of these "Millennial" threads it almost always devolves into what this one did. Us "old guys" say one thing while the "young guys" say something on the lines of, "Well I don't have _____________".

In this case it's a comment about not having a parking space. Of course you don't, you live in an apartment. So did we when we were 23. We didn't have a dedicated parking space when we were that age. Or money, either.

Classic cars are a hobby. Almost by definition hobbies are expensive. It doesn't matter what that hobby is. A 23 year old just starting out doesn't usually have money for hobbies.

But time doesn't stand still. You won't always be 23 and starting out. So your circumstances will change, as will your interests.

Old 03-28-2016, 04:39 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,852,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I don't think this thread has anything at all to do with cars and is just a post to dig against millennials.
Aha!! another microagression...where is my safe space

Old 03-28-2016, 08:18 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,661,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
05 Tahoe is my 'mom' mobile. Minvans are soul crushing.
I've seen similar expressions before and I just have to ask. What is this even supposed to mean?

For someone who needs to transport more than two children and the stuff that goes along with them, or pretty much any combination of people and a lot of cargo, a minivan is the most practical vehicle.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:24 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,526,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I've seen similar expressions before and I just have to ask. What is this even supposed to mean?

For someone who needs to transport more than two children and the stuff that goes along with them, or pretty much any combination of people and a lot of cargo, a minivan is the most practical vehicle.

It means they don't want to drive a mini-van.

I understand the practicality of a mini-van. I have two kids, and getting them into a sedan, along with luggage and such for a family road trip for the weekend is nearly impossible. A minivan is very practical and I'm sure it would make my life a hell of a lot easier.

With that said, I refuse to drive a mini-van.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:29 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,726,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post

It means its so bland and unfun to drive that a little bit of you dies inside.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:44 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,815,319 times
I previously asked why a millennial like me with the budget would get a 1971 Dodge Charger instead of a 2016 Dodge Challenger SRT and I will concede the points about "real metal", and that newer Dodge/Chrysler vehicles come with too many communist baby sitting features and a locked ECU/PCM (electronic control unit/powertrain control module) that needs to be unlocked or replaced by a third party to remove them or make a custom tune.

I'm talking about things mandated by the feds to reduce stock performance in favor of fuel economy, such as deactivating 4 cylinders in an automatic when the computer doesn't think it is required. These things can be overridden with a custom tune, but it is a hassle.

The newer muscle and pony cars come criminally quiet stock!

Old 03-28-2016, 08:45 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Let me preface this, I am a millennial who grew up watching monster trucks and tractor pulls in the late 80's so there were a number of old looking cars and trucks on the circuits. Not just muscle cars there were funny car El Caminos, modified 4x4s from the 1930's and 40's, a two wheel drive 1908 C-cab delivery truck, El Camino monster trucks, Corvette monster trucks, a black 1951 Ford Panel Wagon monster truck, a 1950 Chevy Panel wagon monster truck and a Yellow Model-T among 3 to 5 window coupes used for mud bogs. I still enjoy looking at classic car bodied monster trucks like the new Gas Monkey Garage muscle car, 1970's truck bodied trucks like Titan or the various 1941 Willy's trucks whether it is Black Smith, River Rat, Captain's Curse or Nasty Boy. I also enjoy going to classic car shows and seeing old Vettes, the batmobile (the Adam West one,) muscle cars, old woodies, three and five window coupes, etc. I appreciate these cool looking cars.

That said, I much rather modern cars (say 1990+) as they have better fuel mileage and safety features. Also, I wasn't born with a wrench in my hand so if my (theoretical) 1960's muscle car were to breakdown like my brother's 1974 Chevelle Malibu did, good luck replacing the parts. It is mostly about saving when people buy cars. Unless they are a grease monkey gearhead who was born with a wrench in their hand, they aren't going to be able to fix these older cars if they were to have a breakdown.
We have 7 cars/trucks which are considered classic: 2 from 1929, 2 from 1931, 1 from 1941, 1 from 1947, one from 1958. These are in addition to our daily modern drivers.

You don't buy a classic car with fuel economy in mind (even though the '29s and '31s get better gas mileage than 6 out of our 7 daily drivers.)

Owning a classic car is for pleasure and fun. The '31 station wagon has dropped off a load of kids at school -- they were so excited as it was far more fun that being stuck on a school bus.

I do charitable work with the older cars. I donate my car and time to local groups for fundraisers. We're good for several hundred dollars.

We've driven couples to prom, brides and grooms to weddings and receptions.

At car shows I answer questions people have about the vehicle, let them hop in and take pictures. I've listened to people reminisce about their past; about family members who've left this life many years ago, but who had the same car.

I just love driving the cars around and seeing the smiles and waves.

The best thing for any classic car owner to do (lest they find themselves in your brother's quandry) is join their vehicle's interest club. Speaking as someone with 2 87 year old vehicles, having a cadre of individuals with the same cars is very helpful. The networking between club members and regions is most helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive