Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2016, 07:44 AM

17,326 posts, read 22,073,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
We were at a local "dive" last night and this guy pulls up in a restored '59 Chevy step-side pickup. It was such a beauty. I complimented him on it as did other "mature" folks. He said it was all original and had 4 on the floor. My dad had a '59 fleetside Chevy pick up that I drove to highschool for a year or two. My wife's dad also had one that he bought from his dad and then put a V8 in it to pull their vacation trailer.

While I would not want a classic car for a DD, I have always dreamed of having a '59 Cad to drive around on sunny days and perhaps in parades. I just would need a place to store it and have plenty of parts on hand. I have looked at the prices at B-J and they are astounding ! I doubt wife would allow that an expensive of a hobby. LOL
I like 63-64 Caddy's and they seem cool without the Liberace look of the 59! The 70 Deville ragtop with the 472 doesn't look anywhere near as good but it sure scoots along! I just wish Boss Hogg didn't have one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 08:16 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,661,252 times
I don't know what the "sharing economy " and all that my other stuff has to do with it , but I do have a couple of thoughts.

First, the OP is thinking about his subjective aesthetic preferences as though they are objective and universal, which is just wrong. Not everyone has to like what he likes.

Second, he's assuming that his nostalgic fondness for cars of a certain vintage, probably from when he grew up, should be universal. My two sons, who were born in the 1980's, didn't grow up with the cars the OP did, so even if they were interested in cars they would feel no connection to the cars of the 50''so and 60's. (Hint: I was born in 1953 and neither do I. )

Old 03-26-2016, 08:43 AM

899 posts, read 1,015,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Always did like Triumphs ... especially theh TR6. Liked its looks more than an Alfa Spyder.
I like the TR6 more than early Spiders but I like the 83-89 Spider more than a TR7 or TR8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I've had lots of hot rods but they all got driven regularly. I can't see having a car and hardly ever driving it.
I have...what, 28ish cars and only 5 or 6 are registered.

Don't understand why people are so against driving something old every day either. Screw parades.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:53 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,486,476 times
Most Millennials are still young and poor. Even if income stagnation increases we will become wealthier just by getting old. When you have more money and a family your priorities change. I still think 95% of Americans that can afford their own car want one. Car culture is something central to American identity and it's not going to go away in most places.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:04 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,741,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Most Millennials are still young and poor. Even if income stagnation increases we will become wealthier just by getting old. When you have more money and a family your priorities change. I still think 95% of Americans that can afford their own car want one. Car culture is something central to American identity and it's not going to go away in most places.
It's interesting. I just listened to a podcast panel discussion that included a senior exec from GM. GM believes that private car ownership is going to decline significantly over time in urban areas, which is where almost all of their customers live. Instead, they believe, car sharing and taxi services, combined with autonomous vehicles, will become the new norm. The guy threw out time spans of 5-20 years. GM research believes that most people in urban areas want a car for its utility, not for ownership. Companies like Uber and Lyft, as well as the many car sharing services, will be the way of the future. In fact, they designed the new Bolt exactly for these kind of services and expect they will be the primary buyers. More and more of their cars will be designed with the specific features required for services as time goes on.

This trend is beginning to play out in teenagers getting their license. 10 years ago, 87% of 16 year olds got their license. Last year it was 67%. Even fewer actually want a license but seem to be pressured by their parents to pull taxi duty. I would bet if gas prices go up this will decline further.

Car sharing and driver services also allow for much higher spec, more expensive cars to be purchased which increases the profit margin per car. For instance, electric and plug-in electric cars.

Times, they are a changing, which will impact things like the classic car market as fewer young people become enamored by the thrill of owning a car.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:13 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
I'm 40 and I love the styling of old cars, but frankly, there's no comparison in performance, safety, comfort, and reliability.

Old 03-26-2016, 10:16 AM

8,344 posts, read 6,436,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dburger View Post
I like the TR6 more than early Spiders but I like the 83-89 Spider more than a TR7 or TR8.

I have...what, 28ish cars and only 5 or 6 are registered.

Don't understand why people are so against driving something old every day either. Screw parades.
Well I live in LA County that has over 10 million people, thats right the county. I didn't think of if you live on a farm or have a lot of space.

Old 03-26-2016, 10:27 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,815,319 times
So why would someone with the budget get a 1971 Dodge Charger instead of a 2016 Dodge Challenger SRT?

Old 03-26-2016, 11:04 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,728,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
I bet one has a lot more personality and is a lot better to look at.
I don't even try anymore to understand where these upside down viewpoints come from....the bizarre notion that classics were junk and the new cars are so much better. Exactly the opposite is true, so I'm with you, friend.

The new cars are laughable and I've been shaking my head for 35 years as we've regressively lost the greatness we once had and, in hindsight, took for granted. I test drove a new car the other day (I must have been really bored) - something I hadn't done for a few years - just to see what, if anything, had changed that would help me understand why anyone in their right mind would plunk down 40 grand for one of these POS tin cans that fill today's roads. It didn't help - at all. More laughter and more head shaking. I really feel sad for the kids today who really have no way to know what we lost. For those old enough to know better and still praise the new cars, I just .

I'm in a search right now for the right classic and have had no luck in this immediate area for several months. There seems to be a lot more selection at reasonable cost back east, so I'm considering a trip back there soon.

Last edited by CrownVic95; 03-26-2016 at 11:13 AM..

Old 03-26-2016, 11:11 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I don't even try anymore to understand where these upside down viewpoints come from....the bizarre notion that classics were junk and the new cars are so much better. Exactly the opposite is true, so I'm with you, friend.

The new cars are laughable and I've been shaking my head for 35 years as we've regressively lost the greatness we once had and, in hindsight, took for granted. I test drove a new car the other day (I must have been really bored) - something I hadn't done for a few years - just to see what, if anything, had changed that would help me understand why anyone in their right mind would plunk down 40 grand for one of these POS tin cans that fill today's roads. It didn't help - at all. More laughter and more head shaking. I really feel sad for the kids today who really have no way to know what we lost. For those old enough to know better, I just .

I'm in a search right now for the right classic and have had no luck in this immediate area for several months. There seems to be a lot more selection at reasonable cost back east, so I'm considering a trip back there soon.
What did you drive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive