Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 05:01 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times

Advertisements

Got two friends with exotics.....one guy drives his new Lamborghini as if it is a Honda. It goes everywhere he wants to go. The other friend has a new Ferrari......his intention is to resell it for a profit so it almost never gets driven and he drives around in an economy car he got for free (it might be worth $3,000). Anyone want to guess which one is a happier person?

Ironically they are almost neighbors.....both have 2 million dollar homes in the same area of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 07:49 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,939,252 times
I have had a ton of cars since I was 15.. I have had show cars (IASCA, World of Wheels, etc), I have had cars in movies, I have had cars I raced and some that I could race and still drive on the street...

I have also had rare cars.... but NONE except the true race cars have I ever NOT driven....

And TrapprL..I have experienced what having a special car was plenty of time.... Big deal....

If you DO NOT want to drive your - fine.. I don't see the point BUT hey it's your car.... I choose to drive mine.. IF you have a car you truly cannot afford to take out of the garage, then maybe you need to sell it...

Old 09-14-2016, 09:18 AM

633 posts, read 581,734 times
I used to use classic car insurance to insure my car cheap. I took train to work so only used it on weekends. I always got strange looks from folks. I recall i went skiing in a massive snow storm in New Hampshire years ago, had ski rack on car, went to happy hour, that lasted to 1 am then hit diner for eggs and bacon and around 3am a cop pulled me over and was like What the F, I was driving a 1973 450SL convertible with NY Collector car plates at 3am in a snow storm.

Folks just thought it weird. I also before Had a dukes of hazzard 1969 Charger before that and at Home Depot or dry cleaners or running errands folks were shocked I would use a classic car to do junk work.

So folks who dont garage queen it also get shamed

Old 09-14-2016, 10:38 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,942 times
One of the guys in my circle of friends only drives 1960's cars - as his daily driver. He buys cars in like new condition but not particularly interesting. He driving a late 60's Ford 500 and a Dodge Polara wagon right now, plus some old Ford 4x4 pickup. I doubt he has $20k invested in these cars but they look and run great and make him happy. When he gets bored with a car he sells it for the same price he bought it for and buys something else. It is amazing what you can find at classic car shows, Hemmings, etc that will never be worth a lot of money no matter how great of condition but are still huge fun.

I'm looking for an old 60's or early 70's Buick or Chevy wagon right now. Preferably green with green interior. Gonna put a canoe rack on the roof and take the family camping old school.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:17 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Long time ago I had a 1995 Porsche 928 GTS. I loved that car and drove it everywhere except if there was snow on the streets. Winter, summer - didn't matter. One day I was in at the dealership getting an oil change and a guy drives up in a older 911. When the German service manager in his white coat (those were the days!) started talking with him the guy started bragging how he had no miles on the car, only drove it on sunny days, blah blah blah. The service manager, in his heavy German accent, started yelling at the guy. "Porsches are made to be driven hard, every single day! Rain, snow, heat, cold, traffic, race track! Doesn't matter!" The service manager then told him he could take his garage queen somewhere else. That dealership only worked on "DRIVER'S CARS!". The poor guy was shocked.

Best experience I've ever had at any dealership.
No offense, but I have to call BS on that story.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:37 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
No offense, but I have to call BS on that story.
Carousel Motors, Minneapolis. 1998. No BS.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:40 PM

178 posts, read 162,185 times
Because some vehicles are indeed more worth for their art and brief pleasure instead of something you drive every day.

Of course, imo, most vehicles are too plain and do not deserve that treatment. Most marques are ****ing ugly, with Toyota and Ford being universally awful with every single vehicle they have. Even Benzes and Bimmers are not that beautiful. Indeed, I would consider DODGE and Chrylsers, and some GMs to actually have that fashion sense.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:44 PM

1,062 posts, read 981,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SethGrayson View Post
Because some vehicles are indeed more worth for their art and brief pleasure instead of something you drive every day.

Of course, imo, most vehicles are too plain and do not deserve that treatment. Most marques are ****ing ugly, with Toyota and Ford being universally awful with every single vehicle they have. Even Benzes and Bimmers are not that beautiful. Indeed, I would consider DODGE and Chrylsers, and some GMs to actually have that fashion sense.
Yep some vehicles are historical artifacts. They could be in a museum.

You wouldn't take an ancient Saxon sword and use it to chop onions

Those old cars are also very unsafe, waste a lot of fuel, and put out a lot of pollution. The driving experience overall isn't great. I had a neighbor with a beautiful Hudson and he only took it out every once in a while. His daily driver was a Honda Insight, a safe comfortable efficient car. What reason would he have to drive the Hudson every day?

Last edited by earthisle; 09-14-2016 at 02:54 PM..

Old 09-15-2016, 06:27 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,092,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SethGrayson View Post
with Toyota and Ford being universally awful with every single vehicle they have.

Disagree. let me introduce you to the GT:

and the mustang looks damn good, too...

As does the Focus ST and RS:

The Fusion has Aston Martin cues, and is one of the best looking current midsizers, and was pretty much universally praised for its styling when it came out.

2017 Ford Fusion First Look Review

Old 09-18-2016, 02:00 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
I drive my '89 Merkur XR4Ti a thousand miles a year just going to and from car shows.
Keeps everything all lubed up and working well. IMO, you're doing damage to the car if you don't drive it.

It's got almost 43K on it now. Not gonna run the miles up to any significant number in my lifetime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive