Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 09:29 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times

Advertisements

We have been driving Tahoes for past 7-8 yrs w 3rd row
Storage w 3rd seat in use is not that great but my husband likes driving them for long hauls to FL from TX --
He bought Buick Enclave w/3rd row prior to current Tahoe and traded it after 9 mo or do--
Didn't pay enough attention to seat comfort--his legs and body just didn't get as much support as Tahoe

Have you considered a Ford Flex?
I would have been willing to try one but husband hates Fords
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 09:33 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,923,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I think the Acura MDX/Honda Pilot has the best 3rd-row set up among the midsize SUVs.
If you need something bigger, look at the Toyota Sequoia.
Nope. 3rd row on QX is better than MDX. The issue OP is going to have is not the 3rd row but the storage space when 3rd row is in use.

Think of the latest generation of MDX and QX as better looking minivan. Minivan can haul all the people, but will have problem fitting two full size suit case.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:37 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
We have been driving Tahoes for past 7-8 yrs w 3rd row
Storage w 3rd seat in use is not that great but my husband likes driving them for long hauls to FL from TX --
He bought Buick Enclave w/3rd row prior to current Tahoe and traded it after 9 mo or do--
Didn't pay enough attention to seat comfort--his legs and body just didn't get as much support as Tahoe

Have you considered a Ford Flex?
I would have been willing to try one but husband hates Fords
One thing about the Ford Flex if you end up with with 3.5 Twin turbo Ecoboost and AWD it is a sleeper performance station wagon version of the current Ford Taurus SHO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDTLCvu-JEk

Old 04-21-2016, 09:47 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,245,736 times
Hyundai Santa Fe and Toyota Highlander have 3rd rows.

You can always get a roof carrier for extra storage.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:14 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
For more ground clearance OP would check out the Ford Explorer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR0TMdCBtCY

Old 04-21-2016, 10:39 AM

309 posts, read 246,086 times
Thanks all the your wonderful answers, it definitely helps a lot.

Now that i think more about it, the "generous cargo behind third row" is only required when i ferry my guests (along with their luggage) from airport to home and back. Other than that, it's just infant stroller and some other stuff in cargo. My guests usually stay anywhere from a week to couple of months so renting suburban type of vehicles may be a little expensive. Guess we can take my vehicle and a cab/uber to and from airport.

In terms of 3rd row, which one among the 3 can seat adults comfortably? Seems like MDX 3rd row is more suited for kids but how is QX and GX ?

Thanks,

Old 04-21-2016, 11:00 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,038 times
If you actually want a vehicle with a comfortable, not just vestigial third row AND cargo space it's essentially Suburban/Yukon XL/Escalade ESV, Expedition EL/Navigator EL/Sequoia/Armada. That's the only game in town.

Tahoes and similar sized vehicles are great cars, but the third row is useless. It is cramped and tiny and leaves basically no cargo room. I drove one for 12 years and the third row spent most of that sitting on the floor of my garage. It's a 5-seater.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:02 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
For the midsize category, the MDX would be a good choice, especially as you already own an RDX, so are familiar with Acura. With the Lexus, the GX is similar to a 4 Runner, and with the third row, not much cargo room, and more expensive than the Acura. If you want a Toyota/Lexus, I'd look at the Lexus LX/Land Cruiser, but it's much larger and not as fuel efficient, but they are tanks that will last many miles and are quite reliable. The MDX is more maneuverable than the LX and GX, and the MDX will fit in some parking garages where the LX will not.

The Suburban/Yukon/Escalade has good room with the third row, and cargo room, I agree. However, like the Lexus, they are a bit more challenging in small quarters, like parking garages, but the larger SUVs are good for adults for longer trips in the third row. The MDX would be suitable for shorter people or children in the third row for shorter trips. Even in the larger SUVs, the third row is best for smaller passengers.

If you don't need an SUV/crossover, look at a minivan. If you want AWD, the Sienna has that as an option, whereas the Odyssey does not. The vans offer better ingress/egress for the third row, especially with two captain's chairs in the middle row. They are boring, but are decent people movers, and the cargo area is not too small in either the Sienna or Odyssey with the third row in use. And, you can outfit both in near-Acura or Lexus territory with luxurious features, and the vans tend to have more car-like handling. It might make more sense to compare one if you are concerned about the truck-like SUVs, but it's still a van, which can be boring -- efficient, but boring.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-21-2016, 11:03 AM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
To answer your question here^^^^^ - none. 3rd row is not really for adults. Ha - ha, someone beat my post. Question about which 3rd row is comfortable for adults.

Panda, I am safely presuming you are on a wise track of staying with reliable vehicles. That puts you - rightfully so - into Toyota brand.
Even better, you want to stick with Japan made Toyota.
That puts you into Lexus OR a hybrid Highlander.
For what it is, Lexus GX looks to me as expensive Highlander version. But, it's your call. You want to go with luxury brand, fine with me.
Personally, I own Highlander Hybrid and it's one of the best cars I ever owned. Mine is limited edition, so I have all B&W for 2012. Plus, 33mpg this morning. 3rd row we had it up once, just for giggles, folded it down and never raised again. Technically, I use car as truck, hauling all kinds of Home Depot stuff inside, including 10 ft long pieces of lumber and towing small trailer. But that's me.
Ride is very comfortable.
I'd caution on MDX and Pilots as they are specifically designed for and made in the USA. No matter what ones will tell you, they are NOT same as their Japan made counterparts. I had Honda Ridgeline, I can tell.
Common sense wise, I'd have gone with Highlander limited. But it's your decision.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:02 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,507,456 times
Buick Enclave

Very roomy

Seats 7 or 8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive