Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 02:51 PM

71 posts, read 115,814 times

Advertisements

I have a 21 yr old vehicle that requires windshield replacement due to a large crack. I do not want a repair, only replacement. The vehicle is in excellent shape FWIW, sits in storage mainly. My concern is the availability of windshields for vehicles this age. I will be having this done under insurance as I have full glass coverage FWIW. Has anyone had trouble getting windshields replaced for older vehicles? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 02:52 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,250,516 times
Nope. Whats the year/make/model of the car?

Old 04-21-2016, 02:54 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,995,615 times
In the grand scheme of vehicles, 21 years old isn't that old and unless your vehicle is some weird import or exotic, it is probably very common which means windshields are very common.

Old 04-21-2016, 03:06 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
My husband is right this minute at an auto glass place getting the windshield in his 1992 Toyota Camry replaced. He just dropped in and while there's a bit of a wait while they go get the windshield, not a problem at all.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:02 PM

899 posts, read 1,015,719 times
You'll still probably be able to get a new windshield for your car unless it's pretty obscure (like a Subaru SVX, for example).

Old 04-22-2016, 05:36 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dburger View Post
You'll still probably be able to get a new windshield for your car unless it's pretty obscure (like a Subaru SVX, for example).
This^^^

Unless it's some off the wall make/model you should be able to drive in drive out. Windshields IMO are somewhat of a wear item. Mine get really pitted from sand, rocks etc, my wife's car needs a new one. It has pits, chips and a rub/scratch mark from the wipers. And on one of my work trucks the windshield got bad over time. One day a rock hit it and cracked it. I had it replaced. But it's truly amazing how you get used to a bad windshield and when a new one gets installed you say holy crap I can see

Old 04-22-2016, 06:23 AM

2,158 posts, read 3,594,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsniox View Post
I have a 21 yr old vehicle that requires windshield replacement due to a large crack. I do not want a repair, only replacement. The vehicle is in excellent shape FWIW, sits in storage mainly. My concern is the availability of windshields for vehicles this age. I will be having this done under insurance as I have full glass coverage FWIW. Has anyone had trouble getting windshields replaced for older vehicles? Thank you.
Why don't you call an auto glass company and ask them? Any city of size size has lots of auto glass companies. Google is your friend! They accept insurance and will usually come to your home or place of business to replace a windshield.

They will not even offer to "repair" a large crack, in any case.

Don in Austin

Old 04-22-2016, 09:16 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,575 times
I had a crack in mine and had to go to inspecton so I orderd a new windscreen online with the glue and other stuff, a bit of a PTA but it did not cost much to put it in.

Had some unevenness in my rear breaks though so I just did them and go back to inspection again in the morning.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:05 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Oh, it is soooooo much easier to go on a forum and ask a vague question than to pick up a phone and call a glass company..............who would know for sure the answer !

Don

Old 04-22-2016, 11:09 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,071,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsniox View Post
Just replaced the windshield a couple of months ago on a '96 Toyota. No issues, next day service option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive