Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 10:11 PM

820 posts, read 973,461 times

Advertisements

I know it's not illegal to stop at a red light in front of an exit to a business, but I always thought it was rude. it prevents people who want to exit from exiting, and if a customer needs medical help right away, they will be screwed because the medics will be blocked from entering the parking lot as well. Why do people do this in general instead of just stopping a few feet back to benefit everyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 03:49 AM

45,431 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Lack of situational awareness mostly.

Old 04-30-2016, 03:58 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,201,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynnetman View Post
I know it's not illegal to stop at a red light in front of an exit to a business, but I always thought it was rude. it prevents people who want to exit from exiting, and if a customer needs medical help right away, they will be screwed because the medics will be blocked from entering the parking lot as well. Why do people do this in general instead of just stopping a few feet back to benefit everyone?
How many times have these medical emergencies occurred in this type of situation. Perhaps it is necessary to make another law.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:11 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,383,576 times
I don't block the entrance / exits, but have been in the situation when the light turns green, and I can't move because the line of people entering / exiting will not let me go....they form a conga line, bumper to bumper

Old 04-30-2016, 05:15 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,079,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynnetman View Post
uhhhh medics have flashing lights and sirens. It is required by law to get out of there way.

Why would anyone want to wait on another person?

If I come up to this at a red light, I usually always give them room. If they wait till the light is green, too late I'm going to go. My philosophy on it is; if someone is proactive enough to see the opening and go once its known to be available, I will let them in cause, then they probably won't slow me down. If someone is not paying attention, or waiting to go, then they don't need to be in front of me.

Old 04-30-2016, 06:53 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,826,388 times
Mostly because on tyhe street, one has right of way. It is real irratating that things like leaving parking lots, or trying to make a left turn is difficult, because of that. I usually give those people the curtesy, when I can, as I myself hate getting stuck because traffic won't allow me to get where I'm going.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:40 AM

792 posts, read 2,875,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Mostly because on tyhe street, one has right of way. It is real irratating that things like leaving parking lots, or trying to make a left turn is difficult, because of that. I usually give those people the curtesy, when I can, as I myself hate getting stuck because traffic won't allow me to get where I'm going.
Right, it's the driver's choice on the street. Sometimes it's not courteous to block it. At other times, blocking is the courteous thing to do. For example, if the car from the parking lot wants to make a left across two or three lanes of traffic, then block 'em in - it's not safe. Or when there's a lot of cars at the light and the road will clear out after the light changes. The cars exiting the parking lot shouldn't be "cutting in line." But if the traffic will basically never allow someone to exit the lot, then let them in.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:23 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,596,590 times
Some traffic lights must detect cars close by in order to be triggered to turn green. One city I lived in had that, if you stopped too far back, it would, literally, stay red forever. I don't stop very far back as a rule, because I have no way of knowing what lights are like that...

Old 05-01-2016, 12:14 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,335,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Some traffic lights must detect cars close by in order to be triggered to turn green. One city I lived in had that, if you stopped too far back, it would, literally, stay red forever. I don't stop very far back as a rule, because I have no way of knowing what lights are like that...
Conversely some lights are also programmed to turn red if approaching traffic is detected. This is usually done on secondary streets that run parallel to major thoroughfares such as freeways. My understanding is that this kind of programming is intentionally done to induce delay by discouraging use of the secondary roads and clogging them up instead of staying on the mainlines.

Some cities in Orange County, CA like Irvine, Tustin, and Orange are notorious for this. There are a number of intersections in all three towns that will do this and give a permissive to the opposing direction even when not a single car is on them. And these are modern installations that don't run on mechanical timers.

Old 05-01-2016, 12:21 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,663,170 times
People do that because there is always a few tools leaving who will block traffic to get to the opposing lanes. In other words, instead of just making a right and going down to a light and spin around, they will go left and hem up three lanes of traffic while they fight and scratch their way all the way over, jamming up traffic for two or three cycles of the light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive