Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 09:38 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeC View Post
I'm actually 42 and my work is related to the fishing industry out of Seattle... Alaska...

People gotta eat right?
Yup. They do. But hot dogs are cheaper than swordfish or crab legs. But I dont care what you drive. I wouldn't mind a Challenger SRT in my driveway. But the sensible side of me knows I'll use that go pedal and get myself I trouble.

Ps. Is that you doing that burn out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 11:27 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,050,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Jamie Dimon just sounded the alarm on auto loans

The JPMorgan Chase CEO says "someone is going to get hurt" as financing for autos has flourished in the U.S.

At more than $30,000, the average auto loan for a new car is also at an all-time high, according to Experian. Also, at more than $500, the average monthly auto loan payment is at a record.

For threads like how are so many people driving new luxury cars and spanking brand new cars. Well, simple. Signs everywhere at car dealerships says "Bad Credit, OK!" "Show your paycheck and we approve"

If it's true that we may see an economic slowdown within 24 months then it's very likely a lot of people will lose their job and then these luxury cars will be flooding the used car market.

Jamie is a real smart guy. But guess who is going to be hurt, the taxpayers. Wall street will come looking for another bail out. With the returns being earned, the appetite in the capital markets has been healthy. Could be another securitization nightmare. Fortunately the terms on most loans don't exceed 84 months.

Old 06-04-2016, 06:42 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,937,576 times
I'm dying to replace my old lemon of a Corolla with something larger and more fun. Got this crate used and have put thousands into it, and now it needs a couple thousand more. But to leverage myself for $30K+ for the next 36-48 months? That just sounds foolhardy in these uncertain times.

Anything can happen; you can become injured and unable to work, you could be sued and have crushing legal bills, have to care for a sick relative, etc. The stock market could crash and take your livelihood and your retirement fund with it.

Not a good idea to be in debt. Folks, don't listen to some voice on a chatboard telling you how great life is with a $600/month car payment. Hold onto that clunker for another year or two and at least save up for a larger down payment. Work a second job if you have to. Your future self will thank you for your sudden onset of common sense.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:48 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
When the repos flood the market, the prices will go down, even for the non-repos.
Don't forget that jobs will be lost in the auto sector as factories idle lines due to gluts and the ripples go from there on down to the local grocery stores.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:44 AM

759 posts, read 637,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Yup. They do. But hot dogs are cheaper than swordfish or crab legs. But I dont care what you drive. I wouldn't mind a Challenger SRT in my driveway. But the sensible side of me knows I'll use that go pedal and get myself I trouble.

Ps. Is that you doing that burn out?
No... Just a pic I pulled up. I value my tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I'm dying to replace my old lemon of a Corolla with something larger and more fun. Got this crate used and have put thousands into it, and now it needs a couple thousand more. But to leverage myself for $30K+ for the next 36-48 months? That just sounds foolhardy in these uncertain times.

Anything can happen; you can become injured and unable to work, you could be sued and have crushing legal bills, have to care for a sick relative, etc. The stock market could crash and take your livelihood and your retirement fund with it.

Not a good idea to be in debt. Folks, don't listen to some voice on a chatboard telling you how great life is with a $600/month car payment. Hold onto that clunker for another year or two and at least save up for a larger down payment. Work a second job if you have to. Your future self will thank you for your sudden onset of common sense.
No offense taken LOL...

I never said how great life was with a car payment... What I said was

Quote:
I don't live my life in fear of the next economic crash and/or layoff. I spent some money and bought a nice car that I make payments on... you enjoy not having a car payment... and I enjoy a kick ass ride.

Both are just fine.

Cheers.
Now you get back to worrying about what might happen in a year from now on Wall Street while you are standing in line at AutoZone buying your next part for the Corolla. Try not to trip over the curb on the way out you might break your leg and be out of work for 3 months.

I'm gonna run down to the car wash and enjoy the sunny day driving my car that is still under warranty for another 2 years and 20k miles.

But your're right... Driving a beat up POS that you are putting thousands into because you are cowering in fear of what the future might bring is much better than having peace of mind with a reliable vehicle while living in the present...

Old 06-04-2016, 08:55 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:

No offense taken LOL...

Now you get back to worrying about what might happen in a year from now on Wall Street while you are standing in line at AutoZone buying your next part for the Corolla. Try not to trip over the curb on the way out you might break your leg and be out of work for 3 months.

I'm gonna run down to the car wash and enjoy the sunny day driving my car that is still under warranty for another 2 years and 20k miles.

But your're right... Driving a beat up POS that you are putting thousands into because you are cowering in fear of what the future might bring is much better than having peace of mind with a reliable vehicle while living in the present...
"Reliable vehicle" does not mean you need to spend $39k that you don't even have. Rationalize on, or simply admit that you want it NOW (instant gratification) and that's the end of it.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:00 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
My 2015 Challenger was $39k with $0 down... The payment is $630 a month @ 4% and being the single person with no overhead that I am... I can afford it.

I'm fully aware that I could have gotten a 2.4L Kia for $20k... but cars aren't any different than anything else. You get what you pay for.

A no brainer, really.
Sure, you need to validate your big expenditure by assuming a $40k Challenger is twice as good as a $20k Kia...let's look at resale value, upkeep, fuel costs and all the rest.

Now, I have to argue that if your financial situation was as good as you assume it is you'd have gotten a car loan for 2% or less....not an outrageous 4% - you paid a premium because of poor credit...either that or you're just plain...naive...ahem.

Too bad you're not putting that money aside for a house or retirement.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:04 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,224,222 times
Quote:

You only live once... and we could all die tomorrow.
"YOLO". The gold standard argument for the debtor without a cause.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:04 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,792,634 times
Quote:

No offense taken LOL...

No problem living in the present and the future, I live by that mantra myself (although my sweet new car is a Toyota Sienna Minivan), but is $100/week enough towards retirement going to have you meet your goals?

Old 06-04-2016, 09:30 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:

No offense taken LOL...

You don't necessarily need to drive a pos. I have older vehicles and they seem to be running just fine. And most of the "repairs" are wear items. Brakes tires belts. Hey if you can swing a 650 dollar car payment more power to you. I choose not to have a payment. The yearly costs of maintenance for all three my vehicles is maybe 2 moths of your car payment. And I'm being very very generous with that number. . Most of what people consider "repairs" are nothing more than wear items replacement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive