Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 08:37 PM

21,865 posts, read 25,154,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
This is important to note for those that say "I've seen the same truck fill multiple stations", that they have different compartments and the gas may or may not be the same when the same truck delivers to the station.

By the way, Costco (which changed their additive package a few years ago and become Top Tier)
adds their detergents at the station.
Yes, the gas will be exactly the same. You don't seriously think a tanker truck stops at multiple refineries or distribution points, do you? Same gas regardless if it's in compartment A or B in most cases. Obviously if one compartment is holding 87 and another 91 or diesel they're different but 87 for shell and 87 for no-name isn't like the gasoline is any different. Same gas from the same source, same gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 12:24 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,948,846 times
Someone said 76 has a bad rep. Why?
My car is finally getting rid of all that cheap crap gas and last fillup was 76 and running like butter again.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:17 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
All pumps have filters and water separators. Most likely lack of maintenance is what is happening. I've used ARCO 95% of the time in ALL my vehicles and never had a fuel related issue. Like stated gas is gas. The additives is what makes it a Shell CHEVRON or whatever brand.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:07 AM

957 posts, read 2,022,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Yes, the gas will be exactly the same. You don't seriously think a tanker truck stops at multiple refineries or distribution points, do you? Same gas regardless if it's in compartment A or B in most cases. Obviously if one compartment is holding 87 and another 91 or diesel they're different but 87 for shell and 87 for no-name isn't like the gasoline is any different. Same gas from the same source, same gas.
As has already been posted earlier in the thread, additives are usually added at the terminal for each specific brand. So while the "Base" gasoline is the same, the additives are what gives the brands their different characteristics. Thus one tanker, can fill up at one terminal with the same base gas (which is usually a mix of a bunch of different companies base gas) and carry fuel with different additives in different compartments delivering to different stations. So, no, the gas won't be exactly the same.

That said, from some reading, I don't believe it is extremely common to carry multiple packages of the same grade in one truck and often the compartments are used to distribute the load. But that likely all depends upon the area terminals, how close they are to the stations and the delivery needs of the stations.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:17 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
When do the additives get added?
At the rack when the delivery truck is being loaded. Most gasoline tankers have multiple compartments
so they can load, carry and deliver multiple grade of gasoline at the same time.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:19 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Generally at the refinery. Doesn't much matter what gasoline you buy here as it comes for a one of a couple refineries in the area. Gas at the discount no-name station comes from the same refineries as Chevron or 76 or whatever brand. Tanker truck pulls in to load up and as the exact same gasoline is added to the tanker the additives are added as as you'd add a bottle of Techron to your gas tank put on a larger scale. Gas is gas.
Not true, the refinery merely processes the gasoline, the additives are added at the loading point before delivery. The refinery and the loading rack are two different places.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:49 PM

21,865 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Not true, the refinery merely processes the gasoline, the additives are added at the loading point before delivery. The refinery and the loading rack are two different places.
Rack is at the refinery. Depends where your gas is coming from though. If you get it from a pipeline or tankers, then the rack may not be at the refinery.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:29 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Generally at the refinery. Doesn't much matter what gasoline you buy here as it comes for a one of a couple refineries in the area. Gas at the discount no-name station comes from the same refineries as Chevron or 76 or whatever brand. Tanker truck pulls in to load up and as the exact same gasoline is added to the tanker the additives are added as as you'd add a bottle of Techron to your gas tank put on a larger scale. Gas is gas.
They toss in an additive package when they fill up the tanker truck but it's mostly snake oil. I'm in a 10% ethanol state so it's not like you need detergent gas like in the old days. In the old days of leaded gas with no ethanol, you'd want to run premium detergent gas through the carburetor or injectors occasionally to keep things clean. With 10% ethanol in the blend, it's not necessary.

Ethanol captures moisture. In a warm-humid climate, it's pretty easy to get water contamination with 10% ethanol fuel. It's a good idea to use high volume gas stations and not let your tank sit for weeks at a time mostly empty.

I drove turbo VWs for 15 years. I'd occasionally encounter a gas station that was dispensing 87 octane fuel out of the premium pump. My fuel economy would suffer and the knock sensors wouldn't let the turbo kick in. I figure it was probably the tanker driver screwing up rather than the gas station trying to cheat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive