Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 09:46 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times

Advertisements

Glad to hear that you emerged from the totaled Hyundai unscathed, and that the main problem is looking for a new car.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 10:02 PM

219 posts, read 163,017 times
I've narrowed down the list to the Santa Fe, Sportage, Murano, CR-V, or Rogue for SUV's and for cars Cadillac ATS, Cadenza, Optima, Regal, or Sonata. Of course this is just from hours of research on the internet, I'm going to actually look at the cars throughout this week. May even find one I hadn't thought about once I start getting to sit in them or test drive.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:54 AM

17,624 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CassieLyons View Post
I've narrowed down the list to the Santa Fe, Sportage, Murano, CR-V, or Rogue for SUV's and for cars Cadillac ATS, Cadenza, Optima, Regal, or Sonata. Of course this is just from hours of research on the internet, I'm going to actually look at the cars throughout this week. May even find one I hadn't thought about once I start getting to sit in them or test drive.
Seeing them in person is best. Photos don't give a real sense of proportions. Also, the driver's seat is the most important thing to see in person. My wife use to love a particular compact SUV until she sat in the driver's seat. Once she adjusted the seat to reach the pedals and see over the dash, her chest was almost right up against the steering wheel. On another vehicle she liked, the stereo was so far away from the driver that she would have had to lean over to touch the volume knob. The most important thing to consider when buying a vehicle isn't looks, utility, performance, nor fuel efficiency,...it's how does the driver's seat and dashboard fit your body.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Seeing them in person is best. Photos don't give a real sense of proportions. Also, the driver's seat is the most important thing to see in person. My wife use to love a particular compact SUV until she sat in the driver's seat. Once she adjusted the seat to reach the pedals and see over the dash, her chest was almost right up against the steering wheel. On another vehicle she liked, the stereo was so far away from the driver that she would have had to lean over to touch the volume knob. The most important thing to consider when buying a vehicle isn't looks, utility, performance, nor fuel efficiency,...it's how does the driver's seat and dashboard fit your body.

That is my exact issue. Having to be right up against the wheel to reach the pedals or not being able to get close enough that it's a stretch or not being able to see past the wipers. I am going to go look at them today and tomorrow. Do you mind me asking what one she ended up getting since it seems that we are probably similar with struggles?

Old 07-25-2016, 09:04 AM

17,624 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Quote:
That is my exact issue. Having to be right up against the wheel to reach the pedals or not being able to get close enough that it's a stretch or not being able to see past the wipers. I am going to go look at them today and tomorrow. Do you mind me asking what one she ended up getting since it seems that we are probably similar with struggles?
They don't make it anymore and I wouldn't recommend this vehicle. She's 4 feet 11 inches tall if she can stand up straight. She has a short torso in relation to her leg length. She ended up getting a 2007 Chrysler Sebring. It not only put her in a perfect driving position, it also had an adjustable lumbar support that extended directly into the deep curve of her spine thus helping to aleveiate some of her spinal pain. The car is pretty much garbage compared to virtually all its competition at the time but it was the only one that fit her without needing a pillow to sit on nor pedal extenders. What some don't realize about pedal extenders is you sit farther away and your arms may be too short for the steering wheel unless it has telescoping steering wheel.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:12 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
I looked at all of the cars you're evaluating and I went with the Sonata. Two years later I am still really happy with it. I got the Limited with the Tech and Ultimate packages. The 2016 has all the safety features you could want. One of the things it has is adaptive cruise control with stop/start functionality. Most vehicles with adaptive cruise control have the basic system that disengages when you reach a certain speed as you slow down, making it useful only while traffic is moving. The Sonata adaptive cruise control will bring your car to a complete stop and will start it up again. That means you never have to touch the brake or gas pedal, even in stop and go traffic. It made my life so much easier in Southern California traffic. I'm also getting about 32 mpg when on the highway. If I had to do it all over again, I would still get the Sonata.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:40 PM

That's the type I was looking at and definitely wanting the tech package for all of the vehicles because of the added safety features. I hated Cali traffic when I lived there!

Old 07-27-2016, 01:49 PM

I ended up getting a Kia Soul Exclaim with Premium Package. I don't care for the shape as much as the other vehicles but it had everything I wanted inside for a much better price than the others.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:39 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
I ended up getting a Kia Soul Exclaim with Premium Package. I don't care for the shape as much as the other vehicles but it had everything I wanted inside for a much better price than the others.

It doesn't appear to have blind spot monitoring or rear cross traffic alert. Also, no LED or HID headlights. It's a nice little car, but the Elantra or Sonata would have had more of the safety features.

Old 07-27-2016, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
It doesn't appear to have blind spot monitoring or rear cross traffic alert. Also, no LED or HID headlights. It's a nice little car, but the Elantra or Sonata would have had more of the safety features.
It has lane departure warning and some other things. I couldn't go with the Elantra or Sonata because I ended up not being able to see passed the windshield wipers. This was the only car I could see atleast half the hood of. Of course I really wanted the Santa Fe but it was a bit out of my price range since I decided to put less down on a vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive