Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 11:48 AM

625 posts, read 3,634,990 times

Advertisements

Last week I accidently bent my one and only key to my 2000 mitsubishi eclipse (i know I should have had an extra set made but it actually slipped my mind since I bought the car almost 3 years ago after a hit and run car accident that totaled my old car). Anyway I was finally able to get my key repaired so that it would go into the ignition and start the car but now I can't lock my doors because the key will not let me back into the car.

Has anyone ever had this problem before? My brother said it could possibly be a fuse since in the beginning after I got the car started nothing worked in the car but the headlights and turn signal (mind u it was stuck in the company parking lot during one of the coldest nights and and during a snowstorm followed by heavy rain). I checked my owners manual and yes a fuse does control the door locks. I am going to get another key made but I know when I take it to the dealer they will magically find something else wrong (the key will cost me $175). I plan on getting an alarm put on the car (probably around $200 since the car has a chip in it) that will allow me to lock and unlock the car without using a key. I just want to know if this has ever happened to anyone before and what did you do to solve it.
I love Mitsubishi's I just hate this problem

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 02:36 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,043,053 times
I don't know if I'm understanding correctly. First, you do or don't have electronic door locks? It sounds as if you have electronic locks but no remote locking?

So when you put the key into the door lock, does it turn and not activate the electronic locks? ...or doesn't turn at all?

I don't know, your description wasn't making sense to me. But maybe I'm having a senior moment.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:54 PM

lol it could be because I know almost nothing about cars. I have automatic locks but no remote entry. The key will go into the lock but it will not turn to lock or unlock the door.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:10 PM

Ah, so I take it that the switch on the inside of the door won't activate the locks either? And you've checked the fuse and the circuit is intact?

Old 02-18-2008, 03:56 PM

I haven't checked anything yet. The switch on the inside will activate the door to open and close it but that's it. Could it be that I had the key in the ignition at the time I slipped and bent the key while it was in the ignition? the car wasn't on at the time but that one incident reaked havoc.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:15 PM

The fuse is ok, then, if the switch on the inside of the door activates the locks.

Does the key turn when inserted in the door lock? If it doesn't, then it sounds like a bad key. Take it back to the locksmith who made the key and have them file it a bit so it is absolutely identical to the original one that worked.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:49 PM

the key doesn't turn when inserted in the door lock. Do you think I should just get an alarm that unlocks and locks the door with a push of a button? It seems like a lot to spend in one shot. The key from the dealer will cost me $175 and the alarm will run me about $200.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:32 PM

So the key will insert into the lock but won't turn? But the switch inside the door will electrically activate the locks?

If it were me, I'd want the key to work even if I had remote locking. For instance, if the battery was completely dead for some reason, you couldn't get inside the car. And most cars have their hood release inside. I'm thinking that you'd have to have to either break into the car or break into the hood to get to the battery.

Again, to me, it sounds like you have a bad key. Have you tried jiggling it around or backing it out just slightly once you've inserted it in the lock to see if it will turn?

Old 02-18-2008, 06:58 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,261,029 times
try spraying some WD40 in the keyhole. seriously.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:27 AM

I did all of the above and nothing works. In fact I still smell hints of that damn WD40 when I open my door (yuck) I am just going to have to get both but I don't want to buy a key only to find out that it still won't work. That is my main issue. Now if the key was $25 I wouldn't mind but $175 is alot especially if I can't pin point the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive