Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 12:13 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,259,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
In the short run. But if they mess it up it could be a lot more expensive in the long run
And if a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his butt when he hops. Dealers can mess up just as much as an independent mechanic. Work is only as good as the person who is turning the wrench. The building they work in is just that, a building. Just because you take it to a dealer does not mean you are getting quality work done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 02:04 PM

19,061 posts, read 27,635,592 times
I once landed in a Volvo forum somehow. Maybe because buddy bought one and I was researching something for him.
Everything is a special tool. Tools start at $300 and go up fast. Some odd and weird couplings, connections, designs.
hence you can find a small shop that does nothing but a specific brand. It's because they are set to do it.
Also, esp on new and newer models, there is ton of proprietary digital stuff. Only dealer can access it or someone who forked for license.
That's why.

Old 07-18-2016, 02:37 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,936,953 times
Quote:
So a person has an expensive car that may require special knowledge and special tools for proper maintenance.
The real question here is why would you NOT go to the dealer for scheduled maintenance and repairs in the first place?!?

Cause anything that can't be done by a basic shop mechanic will have cost in the thousands, not hundred. I am not talking about high cost being on the parts.

Oil change.. not too bad but but anything more complex.. start pulling out your credit cards

There are indy shop that will be much less so the dealership can charge less but there would not be enough profit to make it world class.

The catch is that a lot of those folks who buy the expensive German car may not want to waste their time shopping for cheaper service place to DIY.

If you visit the BMW forums, it is not a surprising that there are plenty of write up on DIY for 3's or even M (enthusiasts) owner. Anything 5 and above.. good luck looking for DIY.
Attached Thumbnails
Why some car mechanic are scared to fix certain cars-20160718_163018-medium-.jpg  

Old 07-18-2016, 02:53 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,740,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
Cause anything that can't be done by a basic shop mechanic will have cost in the thousands, not hundred. I am not talking about high cost being on the parts.

Oil change.. not too bad but but anything more complex.. start pulling out your credit cards

There are indy shop that will be much less so the dealership can charge less but there would not be enough profit to make it world class.

The catch is that a lot of those folks who buy the expensive German car may not want to waste their time shopping for cheaper service place to DIY.

If you visit the BMW forums, it is not a surprising that there are plenty of write up on DIY for 3's or even M (enthusiasts) owner. Anything 5 and above.. good luck looking for DIY.
PERFORM WORLD CLASS INSPECTION

Toot your horn much

Old 07-18-2016, 03:05 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,985,486 times
I am reminded of many years ago when I was working in a Mobil service station in West Seattle, and some guy brought in a car that was about a year old, wanting new spark plugs installed. I opened the hood, took one look at the engine, and said, "Sorry, no, take it to the dealer!"
The prospective customer demanded to see the boss, saying he was going to have me fired. The boss came out, opened the hood, took one look, and said "Sorry, my employee is absolutely right. I don't charge labor for replacing spark plugs, just the retail price of the plugs. It will take him hours to work around that mess, and I can't afford to do it free. Take it to the dealer!"
Yes, some shop owners WILL turn away work if they can not make a profit on it!

Old 07-18-2016, 03:11 PM

14,327 posts, read 11,729,079 times
My husband owns an independent BMW shop, and there are several local "general" auto shops nearby that send BWMs to him. He has the diagnostic program and tools...any more you just can't do many BMW repairs unless your computer can read the diagnostic codes, and you need to pay to lease that software. He's a factory trained, award winning mechanic. He is not as up to date on the latest models as the dealer, of course, but if your car is old enough to be out of warranty, he's just as good if not better than the dealer.

Dealers are ridiculously expensive if your car is not under warranty, and usually try to upsell you.

Old 07-19-2016, 12:31 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,975,332 times
A lot of good answers. I liked someone mentioned not scared but hesitant.

To work on BMW Audi,Vw etc. It requires many different tools for many nuts bolts and screw head. It's Rediculous. At the end of the day. It isn't worth taking on those jobs.
When I was running a shop. I d turn away mini coopers, all Vw, all Audis and Volvos, and stupid Jaquars. They are more headaches than money..

Old 07-19-2016, 11:20 AM

14,058 posts, read 13,959,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
My husband owns an independent BMW shop, and there are several local "general" auto shops nearby that send BWMs to him. He has the diagnostic program and tools...any more you just can't do many BMW repairs unless your computer can read the diagnostic codes, and you need to pay to lease that software. He's a factory trained, award winning mechanic. He is not as up to date on the latest models as the dealer, of course, but if your car is old enough to be out of warranty, he's just as good if not better than the dealer.

Dealers are ridiculously expensive if your car is not under warranty, and usually try to upsell you.
BMW Dealer will made you cry

Old 07-19-2016, 01:33 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,155,460 times
Quote:
So a person has an expensive car that may require special knowledge and special tools for proper maintenance.
The real question here is why would you NOT go to the dealer for scheduled maintenance and repairs in the first place?!?
Our local dealer, who I generally like, is probably not the most fiscally-prudent place to go for repairs. They do good work, at full fare, which on Porsches can be expensive.

I never, not once, used a BMW dealer here on the same principle.

Ferrari, don't even. I know few who get out of the Ferrari dealer for less than a couple thousand bucks even for stupid stuff like recommended services. Oil changes excepted, and those aren't cheap either.

Bigger metro areas like Seattle have specialty shops for BMW, Porsche, and sometimes exotics like Ferrari, Lotus, and Aston-Martin. The speciality shop I use for my Porsche work is 3/4 to half the cost of the dealer, usually, and provides a bit of custom counsel too based on your specific uses and needs. Again, nothing the local dealer couldn't do, but I like the independent shop(s) a little better for that personal touch.

Old 07-19-2016, 01:55 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,398,574 times
I have had to make tools to do certain repairs on cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive