Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 02:04 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times

Advertisements

Yeah, OP, it's not that certain shops are "afraid" of certain cars, but that certain cars require enough special tooling and/or special knowledge that the shop in question just does not have. This is related to why a cardiologist won't treat your acne.

Buddy of mine has Alfas, specifically an 87 sedan with the V-6. Only one shop in town, and only one mechanic at that shop (one of the owners) will work on it. One reason is that my buddy owns the only such car in our relatively small market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 08:05 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,419 times
I have done many of my own repairs on my own BMW's and I can say that as far as the basics are concerned, they aren't too much different than other cars. In fact, the inline configuration of the engine gives you a little more room to work. It's when they start kicking out non OBDII error codes that things get a little beyond my abilities.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:51 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,722,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
I have done many of my own repairs on my own BMW's and I can say that as far as the basics are concerned, they aren't too much different than other cars. In fact, the inline configuration of the engine gives you a little more room to work. It's when they start kicking out non OBDII error codes that things get a little beyond my abilities.
Out of curiosity, how old are your BMWs?

Old 07-19-2016, 09:06 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,140,233 times
I’m saying this as a guy that’s owned euro cars and worked at a tech in a euro shop. It’s not just the cars that are problems, but the owners.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:36 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
Out of curiosity, how old are your BMWs?
I've had an E36, two E46's and an E92 328i. I did not like the lack of a dipstick on the E92, even though they addressed a few of the design problems with E46 (relocated coolant overflow tank and added a bit more space to replace belts). I still have one E46 330ci. Could not find an E46 manual M3 in condition to my liking..

Old 07-19-2016, 09:41 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,722,554 times
Quote:
I've had an E36, two E46's and an E92 328i. I did not like the lack of a dipstick on the E92, even though they addressed a few of the design problems with E46 (relocated coolant overflow tank and added a bit more space to replace belts). I still have one E46 330ci. Could not find an E46 manual M3 in condition to my liking..
Good collection there.

My dad and I often reminisce about his old E32. And then the conversation turns to how my mom's F10 lease has put him off new BMWs altogether. lol

Old 07-20-2016, 11:28 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,090,898 times
Quote:
I agree. After about 2006 for 3 series, 2003 for 5 series, and 2001 for 7 series, they get difficult to work on for specialized electronics, though the basics are pretty much the same. I also do all my own work on my BMWs and have never had to deal with tools any more specialized than Torx head sockets and torx drivers. I have the $100 Peake code reader/reset tool that gives more information than the OBDII port readers. And I have the laptop software to plug in and recode a lot of stuff.

Parts prices for those years are low, and the cars are actually easy to work on when you need to.

With the internet communities, You Tube videos, and online parts sources, there's no reason the owner or a good indy can't work on most out-of-warranty BMWs. And if you join the BMWCCA you can get discounts on parts and service from a lot of shops, including dealers (which can bring down same day parts availability to online cost levels).

Old 07-20-2016, 02:01 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
I agree. After about 2006 for 3 series, 2003 for 5 series, and 2001 for 7 series, they get difficult to work on for specialized electronics, though the basics are pretty much the same. I also do all my own work on my BMWs and have never had to deal with tools any more specialized than Torx head sockets and torx drivers. I have the $100 Peake code reader/reset tool that gives more information than the OBDII port readers. And I have the laptop software to plug in and recode a lot of stuff.

Parts prices for those years are low, and the cars are actually easy to work on when you need to.

With the internet communities, You Tube videos, and online parts sources, there's no reason the owner or a good indy can't work on most out-of-warranty BMWs. And if you join the BMWCCA you can get discounts on parts and service from a lot of shops, including dealers (which can bring down same day parts availability to online cost levels).
January 2001 BMW and up you need computer/reader

Old 07-20-2016, 03:17 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,090,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
January 2001 BMW and up you need computer/reader
Not for the E39 5 series and E46 3 series, which stopped production in 2003 and 2006 respectively. I HAVE a late 2001 E38 7 series and have experience with these cars.

Old 07-20-2016, 03:23 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
When you tell mechanic if they fix BMW, Audi, Mercedes they always tell customers to go the dealer. Why some mechanic are afraid fix those type of cars ?
some cars are known as "runaway" cars. that means every time they come into the shop, the mechanics runaway to lunch, or where ever.

these cars are usually hard to diagnose for what ever reason, require special handling of one form or another, or require you to work on more than one system to get the job done properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive