Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 08:38 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
So if you drove in without side windows in your car it would pass inspection? I seriously doubt that. Lets go further what if you took the doors off?
Some states it is legal without doors, but the mirror has to be there. Some states it is legal only if the doors are optional to come off from the factory, like some Jeeps. And yet some states the door has to be at least half way up, but still require the mirror.

Inspections should only be checking emissions and safety, anything else is a money grab. Having side windows is not a safety nor emissions issue.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:22 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
That is not even close to true in any state. I do not believe your fog light story at all.
Sorry, Boxus . . . you definitely need to get out more.

In all the States that I have lived, if the vehicle has Fog, Aux or Running Lights (Front, Side or Rear / Factory OEM or Aftermarket) they must be aimed / switched correctly and THEY MUST WORK. If the lights are aftermarket, usually the driver / owner is given the option to Fix or Remove completely.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:25 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,714,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Sorry, Boxus . . . you definitely need to get out more.

In all the States that I have lived, if the vehicle has Fog, Aux or Running Lights (Front, Side or Rear / Factory OEM or Aftermarket) they must be aimed / switched correctly and THEY MUST WORK. If the lights are aftermarket, usually the driver / owner is given the option to Fix or Remove completely.
Which states were these? I'd really like to dig into their inspection laws.

I think Pennsylvania has very strict, almost stupid vehicle inspection laws. So they might have something on the books like that. However, they do not inspect window tint.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:49 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,111,956 times
In my personal experience, I've never had issues with tint since I left the east coast.

Illegal tint. I was pulled over in DC, MD, VA, NC.

Same car, same tint. I lived in Seattle for 2 years, and now I've lived in Denver for 5 years. Not been pulled over a single time.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:38 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,472,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
They aren't required to inspect windows. You actually aren't even required to have any windows to pass inspection. They are only required to inspect tint if tint is present on windows. If the windows are rolled down, they have no idea if they are even tinted.
You really believe that?

Even if you are not required to have windows on your car in your state, if you have tint on your windows it still has to conform to the local laws regarding the amount of tint that is legal. If I am inspecting your car, and I see the windows rolled down, the first thing I'm going to do as an inspector is tell you to roll the windows up so I can check the tint. If you give me some BS that the windows aren't working right now, I'd tell you to come back when they are working. Until then, I can't do a complete inspection on your car and I won't pass it. If you tell me that the car has no side windows, I could still look down into the door and see the top of the window, so that story isn't going to fly. You really seem to think that these inspectors are complete idiots, don't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson
If tint is such a problem for cops, why even bother allowing it at all? I respect what they do, but it's not my job to keep them safe. That's their job.

Do you think a criminal who intends on doing wrong will actually obey tint laws? Just like strict gun laws, tint laws only affect law abiding people.

These tint laws are nothing more than "feel good" laws aimed at increasing ticket revenue.
Save your anti-gun control rhetoric for another thread. It's not relevant to this discussion.

Once again you're demonstrating how self-centered you are with your comments above. The world just seems to revolve around you, and no one else matters, right?
If you are ever pulled over by a cop (and I'm guessing you probably have been by your opinions about laws), any expert will tell you that in order for you to increase your chances of not been written a ticket, you want to make the cop feel as comfortable as possible. He doesn't know what to expect what he pulls a car over, so you want to be as little of a threat to him as possible. You stay seated in your car, do not open the car doors, and keep your hands where the officer can see them, preferably on the steering wheel. A dark tint on your windows makes it more difficult for him to see what you are doing inside the car, and increases his level of risk. This is not a bunch of crap I'm making up because I have something against tinted windows, if you do any research on this, many people will tell you this is what you should do when you are pulled over. There was even a book written on this subject by a former state trooper. But hey, if you don't give a rat's ass about making the cop feel at ease because it's not your job to keep them safe, go ahead and tint up your car as much as you want. And when a cop pulls you over for speeding or some other reason, feel free to get out of your car and tell the cop how you were doing nothing wrong, and how speed laws or tint laws are just a bunch of BS "aimed at increasing ticket revenue". I'm sure that will go over well with him.

BTW, I did have tinted windows on my last car (I would post a photo, but I don't have an account at any photo hosting sites right now), but I made sure that the tint was at the legal level for where I was living at that time.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:55 AM

manyroads, you are acting like I will be communicating with a police officer with the window up. I've only been ticketed one time, and the first thing I did was roll the window down, before my wheels even stopped rolling. So I fail to see how 50 vs 20% tint would have made a hill of beans difference in officer safety. You're just making up stuff to make these restrictive tint laws in some states seem relevant. If officer safety is such a problem, why not just remove windows and doors from vehicles completely.

For the record, I'm okay with 25% being the law in all states. But I have a major problem with states that ban tint under 50% (like California, one of the sunniest and hottest states), or ban tint completely (like New Jersey). Even having 35% tint makes a big difference. 50% tint is next to useless.

And if you were inspecting my car and acted like that, I'm sure you'd lose your inspection license. In Texas, you are not required to have windows, nor are they required to be inspected. If you asked me to raise the windows, I'd tell you they are broken and that they are not required to be functioning to pass inspection. And no, I don't think these inspectors are idiots. Most of them are car guys and would support us doing whatever the heck we want to our own vehicles as long as the safety of others isn't in jeopardy. My friend lives in another state and just rolls his windows down. The inspector told him before "you got those tinted after you left here, right?".

Old 08-01-2016, 07:55 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I'm thinking about getting dark tint on my car. I read somewhere that you can roll down your windows and pull the fuse to prevent failing a state inspection. Anyone have experience doing this? Does it actually work?

They have meters that are two separate parts and use magnets to connect to each other. No need to roll the windows down with that particular type of meter. It's how they check back windows and other windows that don't roll down

Old 08-01-2016, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
They have meters that are two separate parts and use magnets to connect to each other. No need to roll the windows down with that particular type of meter. It's how they check back windows and other windows that don't roll down
Yeah, but the back windows are rarely the problem. It's the front windows that are usually illegal.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:57 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,224,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattle axis View Post
Part of the vehicle inspection procedure in Texas is to measure light transmission of the driver and passenger side windows using a meter that every station is required to own, maintain, and adhere to using during the inspection process.

You'll have to have your tint measured by the device to pass inspection. That's required. You'll need to have legal tint on those front side windows if you want to pass inspection.

As a former state inspector, I've actually been reprimanded by Texas Department of Public Safety for my failure to use the
meter on an undercover "customer" DPS agent. First hand experience there.
I have never had my tint metered in texas during inspection. Most of those places dont know the whole law anyway. They also think clear uv blocking film on the wind shield is illegal but they dont read the whole law.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:02 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
The real dark tint is dangerous Especially at night.
Not really, I drove a car for 15 years with illegal tinting on both sides, the hatchback, and the top of the windshield. I paid over a thousand dollars of fines for the privilege. I did a lot of nighttime driving, and never had a problem. The only possible accident it could have caused, would have been if I had run into somebody driving with their lights off. That would probably happen even without the tinting, but I could imagine the tinting contributing to it.

Last edited by KaaBoom; 08-01-2016 at 08:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive