Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 12:48 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,403,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KattyInvest View Post
FYI if anyone is looking for a pretty mint BMW Z4M roadster, let me know!
Check your private messages.
In that message, I also provided a reputable place to try and sell it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 01:57 PM

199 posts, read 183,846 times
My general advice for selling a car:

1. Cash only - no checks, certified checks from banks (easily counterfeited), electronic payments, etc.

2. Meet at a police station during the day. Any serious buyer will have no issues meeting at a police station, and my experience has been that legitimate buyers welcome this because it also protects them.

3. Always take a second person with you. This will make you more comfortable and greatly increases your safety.

4. Have the buyer sign a simple agreement stating that they have had an opportunity to fully inspect and test drive the vehicle and are satisfied with the condition of the vehicle, and that the sale is made "as-is", with no express or implied warranties.

5. After the sale, drive directly to your bank with the second person and deposit the cash.

Good luck and be safe!

Old 08-08-2016, 05:03 PM

844 posts, read 1,441,229 times
Where are you selling the car? Craigslist?

Old 08-08-2016, 05:10 PM

251 posts, read 522,669 times
I've bought & sold dozens of cars, RV's & boats via Craigslist.

Never once had any sort of trouble. Most people here seem to be nervous Nellie types, afraid of simple interaction.

I almost always have a potential buyer meet me at my house, which is probably far nicer, more expensive than 99% of our fellow C-D members. I think that works in my favor, as buyers see I have very nice "things", and take care of them well. I can afford to maintain all our vehicles, etc, properly, and it shows in the way our place presents.

When I go look at a car / RV, etc, I see no reason to take someone with me, other than to drive it home. Do you folks take another person everywhere with you because "SOMETHING" might happen?

Make sure you give or get a good bill of sale, and that there are no liens, etc. In other words, the seller MUST give you a clear title with no lienholder on it. ALL private party sales are "AS-IS"...

Go directly to the bank with the cash? What? Are your sketchy neighbors going to rip you off? Are you afraid to have a little cash around? I fairly frequently go look at a car with several thousand $$$ in my pocket. I don't know where you all live, but I wouldn't live anywhere I couldn't walk around with a decent amount of cash... Put it in your shoe if you're afraid of the boogeyman.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:55 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,110,311 times
I knew it was a scam as soon as I saw "paypal" and "shipping representative."

Old 08-08-2016, 08:35 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,530,070 times
I've been paid through paypal for a number of items not listed on ebay. Paypal in and off itself is pretty safe. The sending a "representative" to look it over sounds fishy. I've also sold things through Craigslist, again I've had good luck. I wouldn't go into a sketch neighborhood, but have met in diners and sold gold coins and received stacks of $100 bills. The waitress's eyes opened up, but I had no problems.

Poor syntax of the English language is usually a tip-off. I did have a scammer on Craigslist offer to buy a motorcycle sight unseen. I thought his language sounded funny and told him so, he replied he was in GA. (USA). To make a long story short, I sold the bike to someone else on Craigslist after the bike was gone I get a "certified" check delivered UPS in just a regular envelope. The check was drawn on an KY bank by a business in OH??? for $3K more than the selling price of the bike. I emailed that I sold the bike he tells me to just send him the money Western Union. (yeah right!). I said I didn't know where a Western Union was. He sends me an email with a map, he did have my address after all. I played him along for a week or so, told him I didn't have that much funds, said I deposited the check. Then I sent him an email my bank said the check was a fraud and I provided them with all the email correspondence. Never heard from him again.

Old 08-13-2016, 05:49 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,621,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by automobilist View Post
I've bought & sold dozens of cars, RV's & boats via Craigslist.

Never once had any sort of trouble. Most people here seem to be nervous Nellie types, afraid of simple interaction.

I almost always have a potential buyer meet me at my house, which is probably far nicer, more expensive than 99% of our fellow C-D members. I think that works in my favor, as buyers see I have very nice "things", and take care of them well. I can afford to maintain all our vehicles, etc, properly, and it shows in the way our place presents.

When I go look at a car / RV, etc, I see no reason to take someone with me, other than to drive it home. Do you folks take another person everywhere with you because "SOMETHING" might happen?

Make sure you give or get a good bill of sale, and that there are no liens, etc. In other words, the seller MUST give you a clear title with no lienholder on it. ALL private party sales are "AS-IS"...

Go directly to the bank with the cash? What? Are your sketchy neighbors going to rip you off? Are you afraid to have a little cash around? I fairly frequently go look at a car with several thousand $$$ in my pocket. I don't know where you all live, but I wouldn't live anywhere I couldn't walk around with a decent amount of cash... Put it in your shoe if you're afraid of the boogeyman.
Things to do today:

1. Take Automobilist off of the list of people to take advice from.
2. ????
3. Profit by not being killed by a sociopathic thief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive