Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 06:11 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times

Advertisements

My Navigation system went out . Dealer quoted 3700 for new replacement. I will go back to maps before paying that. I see used systems on Ebay. Has anyone bought used before. Did it come out OK? Repair may also be an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 09:28 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,145,550 times
Wouldn't say I buy refurb electronics "all" the time, but sometimes for-sure. Interestingly, two of my favorite Garmin devices are refurb. One of those failed, but was covered under extended warranty. In the past, my other refurbs have lasted about as long as I figured: a couple years. Another example was a hard drive that went just about as long as the refurb mean time to fail ( (N) Hours) before starting to fail, LOL. Replaced with another, in a three-disk RAID 5 home array so no great loss anyway, the entire point. Who really cares?

I'd go to eBay too, for a nine year old vehicle and electronic device. The latter is by-definition obsolete and two steps from the Great Compost Heap in the Sky, given that tech marches on rather quickly these days. Before that I'd go to Amazon and spec-out a state of the art, double DIN Pioneer or (preferably) Kenwood unit to replace the Acura version, unless there are special features controlled from that OEM device. Sometimes, of course, there are and OEM it must be.

If not, buy from your local car stereo place and have state-of-the-art for maybe $1,300 installed. I did that on my Toyota in 2010, and only know it's very close to obsolete and I'll have to do-same again.

Or go to eBay and have the same car stereo people pop it in for two or three hours labor, if-that. Problem solved.

Old 05-30-2017, 02:39 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Wouldn't say I buy refurb electronics "all" the time, but sometimes for-sure. Interestingly, two of my favorite Garmin devices are refurb. One of those failed, but was covered under extended warranty. In the past, my other refurbs have lasted about as long as I figured: a couple years. Another example was a hard drive that went just about as long as the refurb mean time to fail ( (N) Hours) before starting to fail, LOL. Replaced with another, in a three-disk RAID 5 home array so no great loss anyway, the entire point. Who really cares?

I'd go to eBay too, for a nine year old vehicle and electronic device. The latter is by-definition obsolete and two steps from the Great Compost Heap in the Sky, given that tech marches on rather quickly these days. Before that I'd go to Amazon and spec-out a state of the art, double DIN Pioneer or (preferably) Kenwood unit to replace the Acura version, unless there are special features controlled from that OEM device. Sometimes, of course, there are and OEM it must be.

If not, buy from your local car stereo place and have state-of-the-art for maybe $1,300 installed. I did that on my Toyota in 2010, and only know it's very close to obsolete and I'll have to do-same again.

Or go to eBay and have the same car stereo people pop it in for two or three hours labor, if-that. Problem solved.
Thanks, yes, I was thinking about Pioneer. I will look into Kenwood.

The back up camera seems to be the only other thing effected by the Navigation going out.

Old 05-30-2017, 03:52 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,986,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
My Navigation system went out . Dealer quoted 3700 for new replacement. I will go back to maps before paying that. I see used systems on Ebay. Has anyone bought used before. Did it come out OK? Repair may also be an option.
You don't state if this is a used car or purchased new.
In an accident or never in an accident.

Anyway. I have purchased used radio's and used RCU (radio control unit) for other branded vehicles with perfect success.

Some vehicles require unit to be programmed by the dealer.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:28 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,505,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
See if you can get it repaired by the radio manufacturer. The 3G Acura TL's (2004-2008) navigation unit is made by Alpine. The charge about $400 to repair a broken navigation unit. I'm not sure who makes the MDX's navigation unit.

Old 05-30-2017, 05:30 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Wait a month or so and wait for the Pioneer with car play for apple and android. I wouldn't waste the money on a factory unit.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:25 AM

308 posts, read 499,048 times
You may have stick with a used factory unit from ebay or local salvage yard. Unfortunately they do not have a dash kit available for your car to install an aftermarket radio. You can always go the "custom" route and have someone build you a dash kit to put into your car...but it can get expensive.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:48 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,330,509 times
I really have a hard time understanding why people pay the premiums for an in car navigation system these days. Waze is superior to any navigation system I've ever used and free and works on any decent smart phone.

Old 05-31-2017, 12:51 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,505,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalam321 View Post
You may have stick with a used factory unit from ebay or local salvage yard. Unfortunately they do not have a dash kit available for your car to install an aftermarket radio. You can always go the "custom" route and have someone build you a dash kit to put into your car...but it can get expensive.
Or he can send his original oem unit the the manufacturer and have them repair it, if that option is cheaper than ebay etc

Old 06-04-2017, 02:12 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,463,105 times
Also take a look at car-part.com if you're interested in replacing it with an OEM (factory) unit. It will search auto salvage (excuse me, "auto recycling") yards all over the country and locate any that fit your year/make/model. I've bought several high dollar parts (transmission, A/C comp, stereo head unit) on there and saved a lot of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive