Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 03:36 AM

844 posts, read 1,442,135 times

Advertisements

Can anybody explain the specifics on whats the difference between the 2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 03:42 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,985,018 times
It's just vocabulary or wording.

Although each manufacturer may use both. One for regular scheduled maintenance and one for the engine is about to blow up.

Best to read the owners manual.

Old 08-16-2016, 04:53 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,077,671 times
The Check Engine Light warns of engine conditions that are out of 'normal' parameters, there are two conditions of warning- if the light is on steady, it indicates a problem that is not immediately critical. In most cases, when the light comes on it is due to a fault with one of the oxygen sensor units in the exhaust system.

A flashing CEL indicates a more serious and immediate condition, such as spark plugs misfiring. The CEL will stop flashing if the malfunction clears up (but the code will remain in the OBDC). If you have a steady on CEL, it will flash if needed.

You will need a code reader to check and clear the codes related to the CEL (should be built in to the freaking car, but...).

Old 08-16-2016, 07:01 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,574,109 times
Check engine = something is wrong

Service engine soon = you have scheduled maintenance approaching

Old 08-16-2016, 07:29 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,241,788 times
Check engine light, means there is a problem, and the computer is throwing a code, alerting to said problem. Service engine soon, means just that. Based on your mileage it is time for an oil change or a scheduled service.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:00 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,468,905 times
theres no difference. Do you have a Nissan? the "service engine soon" is the check engine light for my Nissan. Just to be sure you can go to Pepboys or if you have a code reader and get the code

Old 08-16-2016, 08:16 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,804,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
The Check Engine Light warns of engine conditions that are out of 'normal' parameters, there are two conditions of warning- if the light is on steady, it indicates a problem that is not immediately critical. In most cases, when the light comes on it is due to a fault with one of the oxygen sensor units in the exhaust system.

A flashing CEL indicates a more serious and immediate condition, such as spark plugs misfiring. The CEL will stop flashing if the malfunction clears up (but the code will remain in the OBDC). If you have a steady on CEL, it will flash if needed.

You will need a code reader to check and clear the codes related to the CEL (should be built in to the freaking car, but...).
CELs do not always flash for a misfire.

In my experience, a solid light means get it checked as soon as you can, but you can still drive it. A flashing one means stop driving now until it is fixed, and better call a tow truck!

Old 08-16-2016, 08:30 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,985,018 times
Olden days.
Before OBDII.

My pickup truck from the 1980's. Truck was a tad old when this happened.

Some yellow/orange warning light came on in dash module.
"Emissions" or some such wording.
This older truck is running perfectly.

So I go to manufacturer dealership. I ask what it is. I'm told that it is "emissions".
I ask what is broken.
Nothing is broken.
Nothing is broken?
Correct.
So why the light.
The service manager states that this light comes on around 80,000 miles and that manufacturer wants service department to replace some emission components in engine bay.
I ask if they are broken.
"No way to tell."
The cost was well over a days wage at the time to replace parts.

So I state if nothing is broken and truck is running fine why should I replace parts.
The answer is that the manufacturer wants me to. Broken or not broken.

So I ask to leave alone and turn off the light as truck is running fine.
Can't do that.
So I am standing inside the dealer service area and complaining.
Some random mechanic walks by. Overhears conversation. Reaches in under dash. Pull out connector to this dedicated bulb.
Light is OFF.

And away I go. No charge.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:31 AM

15,794 posts, read 20,487,959 times
It's semantics between the different manufacturers. For the most part, check your owners manual as to what the individual lights mean.

For the most part, the SES = CEL.

It gets a little confusing because SES is sometimes misinterpreted as a "service" light when they are different. Some vehicles will use a light that says "Man't required" or "Service" with a wrench to indicate you need an oil change.

Nissan uses a "Service engine soon" light, like this. It's the same thing as your standard check engine light. This light, in this car, does not mean you need an oil change. It means there is a fault with one of the various sensors and you need to plug in an OBD2 scanner to pull a code and troubleshoot

My advice....read the owners manual. There is a section where they go over the various warning lights

Old 08-16-2016, 09:28 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,077,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
CELs do not always flash for a misfire.

In my experience, a solid light means get it checked as soon as you can, but you can still drive it. A flashing one means stop driving now until it is fixed, and better call a tow truck!
Well, I suppose that since I have not driven every single vehicle to see if the CEL will flash for a misfire, it might be remiss of me to claim that this is so. However, having driven *some* vehicles with a code reader in use in order to diagnose an intermittent flashing CEL, I can state with certainty that *some* vehicles will flash the CEL during misfire conditions, and given substantial standardization of OBD systems and codes I find it likely that many others would as well.

An intermittent flashing CEL does not necessarily mean you must call a tow truck immediately, but if it continues flashing (and won't stop) then it might be a good idea...although I suspect that the vehicle may be running so crappy at that point that you won't need the light to tell you that you're forked.

If you get an intermittent flashing CEL, then it's a good idea to read the codes to find out why, and correct the issue...otherwise, you *might* find the situation worsening to the extent that you *will* find yourself needing a tow truck at some point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive