Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 02:59 AM

47 posts, read 61,785 times

Advertisements

Other than YouTube tutorials I have nothing. I'd have to have the owner of the car park it in some quiet residential neighborhood a few blocks from my house because my house has too many cars come every second,so learning to drive stick in the streets near me wouldn't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 03:03 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
No, purchase an automatic vehicle which is safer for you and others on the road.

Old 08-27-2016, 03:28 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,592,028 times
Why would you want a manual? They are horrible to drive in traffic and you'll be severely limited as to what you can buy. Very few vehicles are available with a manual transmission these days. It's been almost 30 years since I've owned anything with a manual and I don't miss them one bit.

Old 08-27-2016, 03:34 AM

47 posts, read 61,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Why would you want a manual? They are horrible to drive in traffic and you'll be severely limited as to what you can buy. Very few vehicles are available with a manual transmission these days. It's been almost 30 years since I've owned anything with a manual and I don't miss them one bit.
Because it's manly and when you take a girl for a ride she's amazed at the skill of stick shift.

Old 08-27-2016, 03:52 AM

1,112 posts, read 885,043 times
Driving a stick become second nature once you master it. In 1987 I ordered an Acura Integra manual shift after my best friend drive the test drive for me. Then she taught me how to driver her manual Civic and by the time my car came in...I was ready! I loved driving that car! I still miss that car! But these days..At my mature age...I stay wih auto.

Mae

Old 08-27-2016, 04:26 AM

16,281 posts, read 10,421,470 times
I'm with Mae. The vast majority of my cars have been stick shift, it was a great way to get more performance out of small engines. Once you learn it becomes second nature.

If the OP follows through here is my tip: the biggest problem with beginners is letting the clutch out too quickly which stalls the car. When the clutch starts to engage and the car starts to move do NOT continue bringing the clutch up as often recommended. No hold it in place for a count before slowly continuing.

Old 08-27-2016, 04:50 AM

1,147 posts, read 1,405,147 times
Quote:
Why would they be horrible to drive in traffic? With that attitude you might as well get an autonomous car that drives for you, or take public transportation/Uber everywhere?

Some people enjoy driving, and a stick shift can add to the experience. It takes a little more effort and concentration but it's really not that bad once you get the hang of it.

To the O.P.. Could you ask the currant owner of the car to teach you? That might be your best option. I bet you'll catch on quickly.

Old 08-27-2016, 05:09 AM

676 posts, read 726,321 times
It shouldn't take to long to get the hang of it. Pretty much everyone that does it the first time feels awkward untill it becomes natural. Just remember you can always push the clutch in if your gas is getting a lil caried away. Give it a week and you will have it down. Sticks can be a lot of fun even in normal cars.

Old 08-27-2016, 06:00 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,078,878 times
Quote:
? Its not like he can't switch back down the road.

If you are someone who uses texts while driving, spends most of the time sitting in traffic, or always has a big gulp with you, then stick to automatic. Me, I will only drive a manual transmission, (theres several debate threads, this is not one of them). It certainly doesn't mean you can't switch back next car if you find out you prefer autos.

Start with the engine off, and shift through the gears several times to get the feel of the angles the shifter will need to go. The only thing you are really learning is how to even out the delicate relationship between clutch in/let off fuel and clutch out/ more fuel. After starting out from a stop the other shifts are a bit more forgiving if you're not as smooth as you could be. You are going to burn a little clutch or stall the first few times, everyone does, no big deal. Youre not doing any major damage, just learn it and get past it or you will be slowly doing damage every time.

So all you really need to learn is to start from a stop. Just be REAL slow and DELICATE with how you adjust the pedals. You just have to learn the sweet spots and the relationship between the two. It shouldn't take long, and once you've gotten that done a few times, go do it on a hill (get it out of the way). Some people say to hold the parking brake but that's a beginner's move. Just give it a little more fuel and find the clutch spot where the car holds on the hill. Personally if you can find an open one, the hill method is easier to do, and will help to just jump right in. Don't be discouraged if you stall a few times. If you start a few times, and are revving it to high to control, or are in a high powered car, it may be easier to start out in second gear. You will have to be a little more precise, with your shift point, but it wont accelerate out of control.

Just remember the clutch is for shifting gears, don't hold it in/ride it. Push it in to shift or stay off of it. If you want to be in neutral, shift into neutral.

Old 08-27-2016, 06:20 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,819,671 times
Do it, you'll have it down in no time. I bought a manual not knowing how to drive one. Got it in the morning and was getting around just fine by the afternoon. Two days later I was a pro. Everyone should drive a stick. It makes you focus more on driving then other distractions like phone calls, text, music, eating, and all the other crap people shouldn't do while driving. And for people that say it's terrible in traffic, you are just lazy and are probably the ones doing all the things I mentioned that you shouldn't be doing. Plus it's just fun to drive. I had to trade in my 6-speed mustang for an auto SUV once I had kids and I miss having that manual transmission every single time I get behind the wheel. I would just ask the person selling to give you a quick tutorial, maybe 30 minutes tops and you'd be good to go. Get the car dude!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive