Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 06:39 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,225,484 times

Advertisements

Get an automatic. You could teach yourself, but you'd be buying a new clutch at least....because you'd tear this one up. Avoid hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 06:40 AM

774 posts, read 2,382,965 times
I'd definitely go for it.... you may have a few struggles at the start, but once you master it you'll find driving so much better when you can interact with the car yourself.

Another thing....some of the new automatics are crap...CVT's have problems, Dual Clutch shutter like crazy. Just yesterday my coworker asked me to check out her Chevy Traverse....the transmission is whining like hell....just out of warranty.

You won't regret learning how to drive a stick!

Old 08-27-2016, 07:11 AM

836 posts, read 775,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChappelleJr View Post
Other than YouTube tutorials I have nothing. I'd have to have the owner of the car park it in some quiet residential neighborhood a few blocks from my house because my house has too many cars come every second,so learning to drive stick in the streets near me wouldn't work.
First, kudos to you for wanting to DRIVE a car, not just steer it while on your damn phone

Just recently taught my 16 year old daughter to drive her new manual Kia Soul. Youtube stuff is not enough, you need someone even for an afternoon. If a friend can't help, pay the owner of the car $100 for some of his time.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:23 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,513,348 times
Quote:
Because it's manly and when you take a girl for a ride she's amazed at the skill of stick shift.
Nope. I'm a girl. Just plain...nope.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:24 AM

12 posts, read 19,448 times
Go to a dealership that sells used cars. Explain the saleman that you're interesting in buying a manual car, but don't have much experience. They'll take you out to an empty parking lot and give you a quick lesson.

This is what I did since none of my friends had manuals. I drove around in the lot for a few minutes and then went on to the street. I did stall a few times, but sometimes you just have to jump into the deep end.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:31 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,916,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Nope. I'm a girl. Just plain...nope.
Me too. I love a manual transmission. I don't find it manly at all.

As for the OP I would not recommend a manual if you don't have someone to teach you.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:38 AM

676 posts, read 726,321 times
Quote:
Because it's manly and when you take a girl for a ride she's amazed at the skill of stick shift.
Money will take you further with women than a stick shift car unless it's in an expensive sports car.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:42 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,254,704 times
Back in the day, there were more sticks on the road and what always pissed me off about stick shifts occurred when sitting at a red light on a hill, the light would change, and the car in front of me would drift back before accelerating. Was glad when most drivers opted for automatics.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:47 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,250,392 times
the key question is: why do you want a particular car?

Learning manual may not be an issue for you, but it's not for everyone. I've taught my 2 daughters in a used Hyundai and years ago taught my wife in my new 88 Integra. I have 3 family members/friends that I don't think have the capacity to drive a stick.

If you can't get the idea of shifting after about 10 minutes it may not be for you. Keep in mind that you can get the car moving in minutes but gaining the muscle memory to finesse a smooth drive will take a week or two.

youtube videos go a long way in the instruction but you can't possibly learn it without actually doing it.

Having someone with you to explain that you need to let off the clutch even slower especially at the top of the clutch travel can be very helpful but not absolutely required.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:49 AM

45,416 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Kids and their ideas. Who told you that ****? Please tell me you didn't get that from some Pickup Artist book.

There's only one stick women are interested in (if they are indeed interested) and amazed with and it ain't in your car. Use your time to learn to use that one correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive